AAD Meeting Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustSomePreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

I'm a Derm resident, going to the AAD next week for the first time ever. I'll discuss with my co-residents who have been there before, but what's the "dress code" during the day? (I'm a male). Chinos and button down shirt? Jeans/t-shirt? Suit/tie? I think I did hear that people who present (Gross & Micro, etc) wear suits/ties, but otherwise what's standard fare?

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to meet a ton of you there!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

I'm a Derm resident, going to the AAD next week for the first time ever. I'll discuss with my co-residents who have been there before, but what's the "dress code" during the day? (I'm a male). Chinos and button down shirt? Jeans/t-shirt? Suit/tie? I think I did hear that people who present (Gross & Micro, etc) wear suits/ties, but otherwise what's standard fare?

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to meet a ton of you there!

I'd recommend business casual. I've seen many people dress casually but it's probably for the best to dress as you would for clinic.

I would recommend more formal attire if you are presenting at Gross and Micro

I'd recommend business casual. I've seen many people dress casually but it's probably for the best to dress as you would for clinic.

Thank you, that's helpful.

Another newbie question. Do people usually check a larger non-carry-on bag? I realize this will vary from person to person and possibly by gender. The considerations here are two-fold: trying to anticipate whether I should be bringing a lot of clothes (I live in cold weather area so I'm not sure how 60-70 will feel this time of year to me, and also I don't want to seem silly for packing so much if everyone usually travels lighter), and also the free swag. I've of course heard that they've cut down tremendously on that, but I'm sure there's still some free stuff to get.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to buy a bag in Denver last year to bring all the stuff back. Do realize that you don't just walk up and pick up stuff like trick or treat. The vendors (most) want to talk to you and such.

It takes more than a solid day to hit almost everything. It's actually tiring. I did it once, probably not again.

You should probably either bring a big bag, or an extra if you plan on making vendor rounds. Remember, you have to check most of that stuff for the flight home...as long as you're good at workin' it to get full sized product, that is.

Do you think for a student presenting a poster it would be okay to wear business clothing (button down, slacks and tie)? I have a suit, but it's black, and I rather not wear a black suit to an event like this.

Thanks! :)

Thank you, that's helpful.

Another newbie question. Do people usually check a larger non-carry-on bag? I realize this will vary from person to person and possibly by gender. The considerations here are two-fold: trying to anticipate whether I should be bringing a lot of clothes (I live in cold weather area so I'm not sure how 60-70 will feel this time of year to me, and also I don't want to seem silly for packing so much if everyone usually travels lighter), and also the free swag. I've of course heard that they've cut down tremendously on that, but I'm sure there's still some free stuff to get.

As Dral mentioned, if you plan to hit the vendors hard, it would be wise to bring a bag in advance.

Agreed, it's a fun novelty the first time you go but it's exhausting. There are some nitpicky programs who will discourage their residents from engaging in that behavior (for the same reasons pharmaceutical pens are often banned in hospitals now)

Do you think for a student presenting a poster it would be okay to wear business clothing (button down, slacks and tie)? I have a suit, but it's black, and I rather not wear a black suit to an event like this.

Thanks! :)

I would definitely err on the side of over-dressing as a medical student. You can always change immediately after your presentation but you never know who you will meet (whether it's impressing faculty, a future employer, etc)

I would definitely err on the side of over-dressing as a medical student. You can always change immediately after your presentation but you never know who you will meet (whether it's impressing faculty, a future employer, etc)

Ahh, okay, thanks! Should I be worried about looking dumb with a black suit even though it's not at a funeral/wedding? At the moment, I don't own a navy or charcoal suit.

Agree with business casual. Just don't show up in a tux. Always better to look like you respect the occasion. I have seen residents in a military resident dress up in uniforms in Gross and Micro, and they look so sharp.

As Dral mentioned, if you plan to hit the vendors hard, it would be wise to bring a bag in advance.

Agreed, it's a fun novelty the first time you go but it's exhausting. There are some nitpicky programs who will discourage their residents from engaging in that behavior (for the same reasons pharmaceutical pens are often banned in hospitals now)

Good to know. What exactly occurs, as far as schmoozing and such? I don't plan on hitting up every single vendor, but there will probably be at least a large handful I'd like to check out (and get free stuff from, admittedly). How much time is generally spent at a given vendor table?

Good to know. What exactly occurs, as far as schmoozing and such? I don't plan on hitting up every single vendor, but there will probably be at least a large handful I'd like to check out (and get free stuff from, admittedly). How much time is generally spent at a given vendor table?

Nothing much, they'll ask if you've used their product before, what you think of it, demographics on your practice. A couple minutes tops per vendor table. I always got the feeling that attendings (particularly those who prescribe or sell high volumes of their product) got better treatment and goodies. I was just generally happy to pick up anything as a resident :)

Nothing much, they'll ask if you've used their product before, what you think of it, demographics on your practice. A couple minutes tops per vendor table. I always got the feeling that attendings (particularly those who prescribe or sell high volumes of their product) got better treatment and goodies. I was just generally happy to pick up anything as a resident :)

As a medical student, do I still get to meet the vendors and get some free samples? :)

As a medical student, do I still get to meet the vendors and get some free samples? :)

Hmm, I would guess your badge is probably lumped in along with the visitors. It's been a while since I frequented the vendors but I think visitors get access on the last 1-2 days.

Would it be weird if I have a small baggage with wheels going from vendor to vendor?

People do it, you won't be alone.

If I see you, I'll probably be silently judging you though :)

Say hi and introduce yourself then! Uh-oh, silently judging me, sounds like a bad thing, maybe I shouldn't do it then :)