**AADSAS FAQ Compilation**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let's say I have multiple deposits on schools post-May as I'm still deciding between them.

From ADEA traffic rules:
"Dental schools with candidates
holding multiple positions on April 1of the year of admission will give such
candidates a minimum 15-day notice if they choose to withdraw them from
the entering class."

So does that mean either school can automatically rescind my admission or do they give me 15 days to withdraw from one or the other? A bit confused about the wording here

Members don't see this ad.

Wow Glimmer that's a long secondary! I hope they're not all like that. I think the ones that consist of "please give us your money" are going to be my favorite. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Wow Glimmer that's a long secondary! I hope they're not all like that. I think the ones that consist of "please give us your money" are going to be my favorite. ;)

You know, I felt like that at first...

But then, I ended up being REALLY glad that I had more chances to talk about "me" beyond my personal statement... and the little 150 characters AADSAS gives you to describe your activities! Once I started answering the questions, they weren't too bad. And hey, it was good prep for interviews, too! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
When will my GPA be verified?

AADSAS will not verify your GPA until you have actually submitted your application. They will link your transcripts to your application as soon as they get them, though... there just won't be any calculations.

Do I really have to enter in every course I've taken?
What do I do about AP classes?
Can I e-submit before my transcripts are in?
Can I e-submit before my GPA is verified?

Yes, yes, yes.

First, enter all of your classes and their grades. Just put your AP stuff under your first semester, and give it the description and grade that it has on your transcript. For example, all of my grades for my AP courses were "S" on my transcript, so that's what I did. They also had descriptions on my transcript, and I copied them directly. AADSAS didn't change anything.

Yes, you can e-submit before your transcripts are in. However, a word for the wise: The VERY first thing you should do once you make your AADSAS account is get your transcripts sent out. I know that AADSAS sent me a message when I first created my account telling me to do this, but I think a lot of people skim over this part. It takes a while for your transcript request to be processed, sent via mail, and uploaded to AADSAS. Don't hold yourself up any more than necessary.

Your GPA won't be verified until you e-submit. It seems to typically take 1-3 weeks for this to happen, which is yet another reason why you want your transcripts to be in before you submit.

What if I took a few classes in the beginning of my undergrad (ex: chemistry, biology) for credit/no credit, which ended up as No Credit? It shows up on my transcript, but from what ADEA says, you don't use it to calculate your GPA?

The following course types are not included in ADEA AADSAS GPA calculations.
o Advanced Placement
o CLEP
o Audit
o International Baccalaureate
o Incomplete
o Pass/Fail
o Withdraw/Withdraw Passing
o Withdraw/Failing

-Source: http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...nstructions/documents/2011gpacalculations.pdf

Backstory if needed: Didn't know I was eventually going into the health path so I took a few science courses as credit/no credit. Had lukewarm interest, so didn't spend time on the classes, thus getting below the C- threshold to garner credit. Repeated the courses much later when I was more interested and got much better scores.

For coursework, should I list it as Withdrawn, Withdrawn Failing, Pass/Fail, Repeated, No Pass - Pass/Fail, Non-Satisfactory, Unsatisfactory, Audit, No Grade, Incomplete, or something else?

And as a further verification, despite whether I do or don't put it in my coursework, if they ask for the GPA, you would give the GPA without these No Credit courses?

What if I took a few classes in the beginning of my undergrad (ex: chemistry, biology) for credit/no credit, which ended up as No Credit? It shows up on my transcript, but from what ADEA says, you don't use it to calculate your GPA?

-Source: http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...nstructions/documents/2011gpacalculations.pdf

Backstory if needed: Didn't know I was eventually going into the health path so I took a few science courses as credit/no credit. Had lukewarm interest, so didn't spend time on the classes, thus getting below the C- threshold to garner credit. Repeated the courses much later when I was more interested and got much better scores.

For coursework, should I list it as Withdrawn, Withdrawn Failing, Pass/Fail, Repeated, No Pass - Pass/Fail, Non-Satisfactory, Unsatisfactory, Audit, No Grade, Incomplete, or something else?

And as a further verification, despite whether I do or don't put it in my coursework, if they ask for the GPA, you would give the GPA without these No Credit courses?

They don't ask you for how GPA--they calculate it for you. Just put down every single class, exactly as it appears on your transcript. I think there is an option for "no credit" or "none," if that's what your transcript says.

Is there any way to see what they calculated as your science gpa?

From what I've seen you can see the grade they give you for all of your classes but I didn't see a place where they tell you your gpa and science gpa

From what I've seen you can see the grade they give you for all of your classes but I didn't see a place where they tell you your gpa and science gpa

That's because your GPAs haven't been calculated yet. You have to submit first and then have all of your transcripts arrive. It then takes another week or two once they have everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
how would you classify your AP classes? Its not undergrad...im guessing interim, although im not entirely sure what that means. Also, the term type?

Help plz!

There's a question about relatives who are in dental related field. I don't know if I should write my dad and my cousin who are dentists in a different country. Also, right now, my dad is a dental lab technician but he did not go to school for it. Do I answer yes to the question?

Thanks Glimmer! I put No Grade as that seemed to be the closest to No Credit.

Separate question for anybody who knows: I've made the Dean's List the last two years of my education. Since the Awards, Honors and Scholarships section only allows you to put one specific date instead of a list, should I put multiple awards down as being on a Dean's List? Or is that such a common thing for applicants that interviewers scoff when applicants put it down?

how would you classify your AP classes? Its not undergrad...im guessing interim, although im not entirely sure what that means. Also, the term type?

How do I classify AP classes?

Just put them exactly as they show on your college's transcript (including the title and the semester). You'll probably use a designation like "none" or "pass" or "satisfactory" as the grade.

Last year, here is how I was able to enter mine (this is an example):

Fall 2010 (AP classes were shown on my transcript under my first semester at my primary university)
MAT 199 Calculus I OthSci AdvPlc 4.0 S

The options may be a bit different this year, but I was able to designate it as advanced placement, show that it was worth 4 credit hours, and I just said the grade was a "satisfactory."

Last edited:
There's a question about relatives who are in dental related field. I don't know if I should write my dad and my cousin who are dentists in a different country. Also, right now, my dad is a dental lab technician but he did not go to school for it. Do I answer yes to the question?

Unless it specifically says you shouldn't include foreign-trained dentists (and I highly doubt it would), I see no reason not to.

I've made the Dean's List the last two years of my education. Since the Awards, Honors and Scholarships section only allows you to put one specific date instead of a list, should I put multiple awards down as being on a Dean's List? Or is that such a common thing for applicants that interviewers scoff when applicants put it down?

If I have received an award more than once, do I have to include separate entries for it? Should I include the Dean's list?

You can be creative with your titles.

So, if you've gotten an award like the Dean's list multiple times, put its title as, "Dean's list (Spring 2014/2013/2012, Fall 2013/2012)" or something like that. This makes it so you only have to take up ONE field instead of multiple. For the actual "date," just put the date you received your most recent recognition.

Of course, you can put the Dean's list as an award. However, if you have run out of spaces in the awards section, this is one I'd leave off. 'Cause let's be real... they can look at your semester GPAs and tell if you made the Dean's list or not! :p

Last edited:
Concerning transcript matching forms... one of the schools I attended refuses to submit forms with any transcripts (silly right?). I do know that not having one will delay my application but does anyone know if there is any benefit to sending the TMF to AADSAS myself since the registrar isn't required to fill anything out anyway? Or is this pointless? Normally, I wouldn't stress over it being delayed but I have 7 transcripts to keep track of.

Sending it yourself wouldn't help at all... If they got a matching form without an attached transcript, I honestly think they would just throw it away. The whole point of the matching form is to make it easy to link your transcript to your app--if the two aren't attached, the form in itself isn't going to help anything.

This may be a stretch, but could I mention my study abroad semester under the Academic Enrichment Program section? The description of it says, "List any supplemental academic enrichment programs and/or post-baccalaureate programs in which you have participated to enhance your preparation for dental school." I didn't do anything directly related to dentistry abroad, but I do believe I've strengthened personal skills from it.

This may be a stretch, but could I mention my study abroad semester under the Academic Enrichment Program section? The description of it says, "List any supplemental academic enrichment programs and/or post-baccalaureate programs in which you have participated to enhance your preparation for dental school." I didn't do anything directly related to dentistry abroad, but I do believe I've strengthened personal skills from it.

People put all sorts of stuff in this section. Do you feel like it enhanced your education? Yes? Then put it. :)

People put all sorts of stuff in this section. Do you feel like it enhanced your education? Yes? Then put it. :)
Sweet! I'm starting to see that these sections are much more subjective than I once thought, which is a good thing. :joyful:

Sorry, this might be a stupid question but paranoid me needs to ask it lol. I took my DAT in January and now under "official scores" it only says "Date taken: 1/4/14, Date received: 1/16/14" but it never actually lists my scores. Is this normal? Am I just supposed to assume they're the same as my Unofficial Scores? Thank you!!

Sorry, this might be a stupid question but paranoid me needs to ask it lol. I took my DAT in January and now under "official scores" it only says "Date taken: 1/4/14, Date received: 1/16/14" but it never actually lists my scores. Is this normal? Am I just supposed to assume they're the same as my Unofficial Scores? Thank you!!

Already answered--go look at the original post under the "DAT" section and click the link. :)

I got a copy of my official transcript, and for all my AP/IB classes, they are listed on there with the credit hours I earned from them, but there's no course titles. Just "Advanced Placement Exam". What should I do?

I got a copy of my official transcript, and for all my AP/IB classes, they are listed on there with the credit hours I earned from them, but there's no course titles. Just "Advanced Placement Exam". What should I do?

Call AADSAS, and please let us know what they say! I'm not so sure about this one.

We are supposed to pick up to three things from professional experiences to be on our coversheet, any advice what 3 things would be best to include? I was thinking about a job, research experience, and volunteer work I had done.

We are supposed to pick up to three things from professional experiences to be on our coversheet, any advice what 3 things would be best to include? I was thinking about a job, research experience, and volunteer work I had done.

You can flag 3 of EACH type of experience, flag your most significant ones.

Call AADSAS, and please let us know what they say! I'm not so sure about this one.

So I talked to my school's registrar office and they offered to send a letter to AADSAS explaining those AP/IB credits. And then I called AADSAS, the representative said that I still put them down in the coursework section with the course title "Advanced Placement Exam" and corresponding credit hours. And I have to send the letter with all my AP/IB info to the schools that I apply to.

Question: I took a physics course at a CC. When entering the college's attended section, would I list my major in the degree in progress section since the course is a major credit course? Or would I just choose "None" since I am not pursing the degree at the CC? Sorry for the silly questions, just want to complete the application the right way.

Question: I took a physics course at a CC. When entering the college's attended section, would I list my major in the degree in progress section since the course is a major credit course? Or would I just choose "None" since I am not pursing the degree at the CC? Sorry for the silly questions, just want to complete the application the right way.

I would put "none."

I got a copy of my official transcript. For all my AP/IB classes, they are listed on there with the credit hours I earned from them, but there's no course titles--just "Advanced Placement Exam." What should I do?

So I talked to my school's registrar office and they offered to send a letter to AADSAS explaining those AP/IB credits. And then I called AADSAS, the representative said that I still put them down in the coursework section with the course title "Advanced Placement Exam" and corresponding credit hours. And I have to send the letter with all my AP/IB info to the schools that I apply to.

In regards to LOE, when they ask for the person's address, do you put down the biology department's address if they're from the biology department? Or do you put interfolio's address?

For the extracurriculars under professional experience, should I put activities that I consistently spent time on over the years, yet have no leadership or volunteering experience (ie: salsa and breakdancing)?

What about the extracurriculars, such as clubs where I volunteer to tutor students in chem and pysch, but in the end only had 1-2 students sign up? I feel that it's significant, but not in my time. How would I list that under time spent per week?

Also, what about the type of extracurriculars where I joined for fun, then eventually took up leadership role and thus putting more time in (ie: Tae Kwon Do member to social events coordinator)? Do I put the date that I started taking leadership roles or when I joined as a member?

Sorry if I'm being too nitpicky about these things...if I get an interview, I don't want to look like I'm full of BS. But I can see that if I cheapen myself unfairly when others aren't, I may not get a chance to interview!

For the extracurriculars under professional experience, should I put activities that I consistently spent time on over the years, yet have no leadership or volunteering experience (ie: salsa and breakdancing)?

What about the extracurriculars, such as clubs where I volunteer to tutor students in chem and pysch, but in the end only had 1-2 students sign up? I feel that it's significant, but not in my time. How would I list that under time spent per week?

Also, what about the type of extracurriculars where I joined for fun, then eventually took up leadership role and thus putting more time in (ie: Tae Kwon Do member to social events coordinator)? Do I put the date that I started taking leadership roles or when I joined as a member?

Sorry if I'm being too nitpicky about these things...if I get an interview, I don't want to look like I'm full of BS. But I can see that if I cheapen myself unfairly when others aren't, I may not get a chance to interview!

How do I describe activities where I participated on-and-off (or just not on a weekly basis)? How do I describe activities where I joined and then later gained a leadership role?

The fact that you can only put in one start/end date and have to give an average weekly number of hours is REALLY annoying. I can understand your questions; however, I think everyone runs into this.

Here's how I just ended up filling things out. I'd put the date I joined as the "start date." In the description, I'd add something like, "I became president on 01/2014." Also, for the average weekly hours, I ended up just putting the average hours I put in on the weeks I participated. If you're on a committee that meets once a month for four hours, as an example, then there really isn't a "weekly" commitment--it's more so a "monthly" commitment. Or maybe it's something that you did your freshman year, took time off from during your sophomore year, and then started back during your junior year. But it's an activity that needs to be included, so what's a person to do?!
I think the best thing you can do is try to give more specifics in your description. ie, "Met once monthly. Participated sophomore and junior year." I know this eats into your character count, so try to keep it brief.

Plain and simple, though, there should be a better way to input hours and dates.

Oh well. Like I said, everyone is going to run into these issues. Just do the best you can. :)

Last edited:

Attachments

• school costs.PNG
    school costs.PNG
    274.3 KB · Views: 323
How do I describe activities where I participated on-and-off (or just not on a weekly basis)? How do I describe activities where I joined and then later gained a leadership role?

The fact that you can only put in one start/end date and have to give an average weekly number of hours is REALLY annoying. I can understand your questions; however, I think everyone runs into this.

Here's how I just ended up filling things out. I'd put the date I joined as the "start date." In the description, I'd add something like, "I became president on 01/2014." Also, for the average weekly hours, I ended up just putting the average hours I put in on the weeks I participated. If you're on a committee that meets once a month for four hours, as an example, then there really isn't a "weekly" commitment--it's more so a "monthly" commitment. Or maybe it's something that you did your freshman year, took time off from during your sophomore year, and then started back during your junior year. But it's an activity that needs to be included, so what's a person to do?!
I think the best thing you can do is try to give more specifics in your description. ie, "Met once monthly. Participated sophomore and junior year." I know this eats into your character count, so try to keep it brief.

Plain and simple, though, there should be a better way to input hours and dates.

Oh well. Like I said, everyone is going to run into these issues. Just do the best you can. :)
This definitely gives me a sense of relief! Also, I didn't know it has to be full sentences too, which really helps on the character space. Thanks!

All the schools i am applying to are on the bottom of the list :scared:
If it helps, I think Pacific and Penn only have 3 years, not 4. Also you should take into account of living expenses as well.

Your soul will seriously feel like 100lbs once you take living expenses into account. I know mines did...lol

While typing in the name of my high school, I noticed that it cut me off at "XXXXX XXXXX High Sch"

Should I just leave it as is? Or should I just type "XXXXX XXXXX High" ... Or "XXXXX XXXXX HS" ??

Can i put "henna artist" as an activity requiring manual dexterity? I'm and amateur and usually do designs on close friends and family for events (and always the natural stuff..never that chemically infected garbage ppl try to pass as henna). Just curious if anyone has ever included that :)

If I was placed on academic probation during my freshman year because my GPA was less than a 2.0, does that count as "misconduct" or "disciplinary action in connection with academic performance?" I am referring to the 2 questions under "Background Information."