AADSAS GPA Calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfoksn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been seeing some threads that talk about AADSAS GPA Calculation without +'s and -'s taken into account?

What is this all about?

AADSAS can do either calculations?

Do certain schools only accept without +'s and -'s?

What exactly is going on with these different ways of calculating our GPA?

Also, to my knowledge, we have 3 kinds of GPA: Overall GPA, Science GPA, and BCP GPA.

Schools look at all three GPA's, correct?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools accept and take stock in your GPA that includes +/-'s. There are only a few schools that look at your GPA without. Some schools scrutinize your Science GPA more then your BCP and some the other way around. Doc Toothache posted something a while back that showed a survey from the 2009 ADEA Guide to Dental Schools that showed each school's preference in all the GPA's.

Ah, so AADSAS calculates both GPA's with and without +'s and -'s, and then it's just up to schools to choose which one to look at?

My without GPA dips down .2 because I had really bad grade during freshman year and I got bunch of A+'s to fix that.. Hopefully my schools won't look at without GPA haha.

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the schools are sent all GPA calculations and its just up to the schools to place importance on one over the other. Honestly, by looking at your pre-dents page, I wouldn't be too concerned with your app. It looks plenty solid. Good Luck on interviews!

I just called the AADSAS customer service, and they said they only calculate the GPA one way considering the +'s and -'s!

That must be new to this year. Interesting....

Anybody knows what will be grades calculation considernig + and - ?
Thanks

I just called the AADSAS customer service, and they said they only calculate the GPA one way considering the +'s and -'s!
I just don't know if this will happen... Maybe the employee was confused by your question. I don't understand why they would drop the other calculations this year. But she said, what she said.
That must be new to this year. Interesting....
It does seem odd.
Anybody knows what will be grades calculation considernig + and - ?
Thanks
What?

Maybe it would be great if you could call the AADSAS and ask, too. We may get different answers.

Please let me know what happens!

Thank you.

lol you shouldn't get different answers! I am surprised if they did away with dis-including "without +/-'s."

Yeah. When I called the AADSAS Customer Service, I asked, "I heard that AADSAS has different ways of calculating the GPA's, one with +'s and -'s taken into account and the other without the +'s and -'s taken into account? How does this work and which GPA do schools receive? Do schools have choices on which one to receive?"

That is pretty much what I exactly said.

And the lady said, "AADSAS has one standardized way of calculating the GPA and that is the GPA that will be sent to the schools."

And so I asked, "so does that mean +'s and -'s are taken into account? With A+ being 4.33?"

And she replied, "Yes."

Just call them and let me know what answer you get :)

Only takes like 1 minute!

Yeah. When I called the AADSAS Customer Service, I asked, "I heard that AADSAS has different ways of calculating the GPA's, one with +'s and -'s taken into account and the other without the +'s and -'s taken into account? How does this work and which GPA do schools receive? Do schools have choices on which one to receive?"

That is pretty much what I exactly said.

And the lady said, "AADSAS has one standardized way of calculating the GPA and that is the GPA that will be sent to the schools."

And so I asked, "so does that mean +'s and -'s are taken into account? With A+ being 4.33?"

And she replied, "Yes."

Just call them and let me know what answer you get :)

Only takes like 1 minute!
My days of calling AADSAS are over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang. A+ is not 4.33 but 4.3?

Disappointed :thumbdown:

nice link, but it doesn't explain what "other science" is....

Im so frustrated, where can I find the link that describes EXACTLY what classes are considered in the "other science" category
This might help you. From AADSAS website:http://bit.ly/967YDX
------------------------------
"Occasionally, applicants have questions about whether they should count a particular course as a BCP or Other Science course, even though it is not taught in a BCP or Other Science department. For example:
  • A student may take an upper-level psychology course such as "The Physiology of the Brain" that is heavily based in the biological sciences; that course can be counted as a BCP course, even though it was offered through the Department of Psychology, a "Non Science" department.
  • An engineering student took Chemistry for Engineers. This course can be considered a BCP course, even though it was offered through the College of Engineering, an "Other Science" department.
  • A dental hygiene student took these two courses:
    • Principles of Pathology, a course offered through the Department of Dental Hygiene. This course can be considered a BCP course, even though it was offered through Dental Hygiene, an "Other Science" department.
    • Treating Pediatric Patients, another Dental Hygiene course would be considered an "Other Science" course because its focus is primarily clinical.
------------------------

This might help you. From AADSAS website:http://bit.ly/967YDX
------------------------------

"Occasionally, applicants have questions about whether they should count a particular course as a BCP or Other Science course, even though it is not taught in a BCP or Other Science department. For example:
  • A student may take an upper-level psychology course such as "The Physiology of the Brain" that is heavily based in the biological sciences; that course can be counted as a BCP course, even though it was offered through the Department of Psychology, a "Non Science" department.
  • An engineering student took Chemistry for Engineers. This course can be considered a BCP course, even though it was offered through the College of Engineering, an "Other Science" department.
  • A dental hygiene student took these two courses:
    • Principles of Pathology, a course offered through the Department of Dental Hygiene. This course can be considered a BCP course, even though it was offered through Dental Hygiene, an "Other Science" department.
    • Treating Pediatric Patients, another Dental Hygiene course would be considered an "Other Science" course because its focus is primarily clinical.
------------------------

thanks...however, I am trying to find out if my computer science courses are considered "other science" or not

thanks...however, I am trying to find out if my computer science courses are considered "other science" or not
I'm not sure if you will find a specific answer until you plug the class into AADSAS. This is an older thread with some people in your situation.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=463739&highlight=computer+science
AADSAS will change the course category if they don't agree with the classification. Nothing more. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're nervous b/c it changes you sGPA.

i thought A+s died in middle school...do alot of undergrads really use them?

Same here... I had never heard of them until this forum. I went to a school that used +'s and -'s, but no A+'s.

Same here...

I got one A+ in CC, but that seem like an unusual event.

Otherwise, I've never seen A+s at all. :confused:

Yeah, for us in average 2 or 3 person out of 150-200 class get it. 98 percentile or higher I think

NO they dont anymore... they used to do that in <2005....
They are not counted as BCP or BCPM-science gpa...

i wonder if they count computer classes which are math intensive as BCPM...

Yeah, for us in average 2 or 3 person out of 150-200 class get it. 98 percentile or higher I think

Where I am doing my undergraduate usually 97+ is A+ even for one of my classes It was 99+ for A+ !!!!
After I upgraded my fall grades on AADSAS it showed GPA: 4.25 ,for that semester I got 3 A+ and one A. hahaha I screwed up my freshman. even with all A+( 7 total) I got during last two semester my GPA is lower than avrage acceptance for D shcools. :(
Hopefuly schools will consider the progress......

I'm not sure if you will find a specific answer until you plug the class into AADSAS. This is an older thread with some people in your situation.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=463739&highlight=computer+science
AADSAS will change the course category if they don't agree with the classification. Nothing more. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're nervous b/c it changes you sGPA.

NO they dont anymore... they used to do that in <2005....
They are not counted as BCP or BCPM-science gpa...

i wonder if they count computer classes which are math intensive as BCPM...

alright thnx guys...
at least now I have in idea what to do with the gazillion computer science I took in my initial undergrad years

Im gonna consider them "non science"