qkchen

7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2009
Status
Dental Student
dear SDNers,

my question is regarding the research experience section. i know you have to indicate the PI's name. however, it has been 3-4 years since i kept in touch with those PI's. in this case, should i email/contact them first before i fill in their names in this section? i have LORs from more recent profs so i will most likely not request LORs here.

for one of the PIs, i worked as paid summer student; the other PI, i did research for academic credits. if anyone has been through a similar situation or could offer any advice, this would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
If you feel like you should contact them and let them know, that's fine, but you don't really have to. So for the one you took as academic credit you also list under your courses taken section, and you list the one you worked as in work experience as well, easy peasy. :)

qkchen

7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2009
Status
Dental Student
thanks, Vicviper. i didn't realize you could use "paid research" under work experience section cuz i just thought it'd be research.

ok, i just realized i got another question. i have a paid tutoring position with this program at my grad school where i tutor students with learning disabilities. would this count as EC or work experience, do you think?

so am i allowed to cross-list various experiences under different sections (ie. work and research) or should i just pick and choose which section a particular experience will go under? thanks again

Vicviper

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
There's certain things you can cross list, and other things that you can't. For example, I was a volunteer dental assistant at a low-income children's clinic for six months, and so I was able to put that under volunteering and dental experience. Paid research you can put as both research and work, but if you get paid for something, you can't put it under EC's. I worked as a science/math tutor for remedial students at my Community college, and I just put it under work experience.

MowgliR

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Do adcoms like seeing double of everything tho? I remember a post on here saying not to list the same thing twice.

Vicviper

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
Do adcoms like seeing double of everything tho? I remember a post on here saying not to list the same thing twice.
I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to do things specifically that you could double list, or double listing things that shouldn't be, or even having many things double listed, but if you've done something that's actually significant, and is really more than one thing, sure, double list it.

Oh, and you definitely wouldn't want most of your EC's to be things that are double listed, I'd try to keep that at one, two at the most.