AAIMG Is A Scam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aucdoctobe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So That There Is No Confusion, Please Read My Rumor Mill Posting About Time's Article On The Caribbean.

Repeat..

To Any Perspective Caribbean Students:

AAIMG Is A Scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Aucdoctobe said:
So That There Is No Confusion, Please Read My Rumor Mill Posting About Time's Article On The Caribbean.

Repeat..

To Any Perspective Caribbean Students:

AAIMG Is A Scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually, in all reality it could be real. No one on this board can unequivocally say it's a scam. For your people's information that site was given to me by a prospective caribbean student.

What evidence have all of you provided to try to prove it is a scam?

1. The president looks like he could be from a GQ magazine.
2. They won't respond to the emails.
3. They appear to be from Russia.

I'm sorry but no one has provided real evidence that it is a scam. Therefore, it is fair to conclude that it is a good source for premeds. Until it is proven otherwise, I don't see why you can say it is a scam.

To those wondering what the OP is talking about, I point you to the site. For all premeds, I would advise you NOT to apply to the following schools.

http://www.aaimg.com/list/medical.html

I believe that some caribbean schools do have significant deficiencies.

Windsor School of Medicine,
St. Christopher, West Indies, 2000
Deficiencies
Section I a,b,c,d, e,g,h
Section II b,c,d,f,
Section III b,c,d,e,g,h,k
Section IV c,f,g,j,l,k,m,n
Section V a,d,e,f,h,j,l,m
Section VI a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j
Section VII b,c,e,f,g,i
Section VIII e
No substantive changes were noted since the last site visit. The entire campus still consists of two small rented buildings in an industrialized port area. Classrooms are poorly equipped with one inadequate multipurpose lab and no real medical library. One anatomy cadaver is used for multiple terms. Course descriptions and the curriculum breakdown are inadequate. Small faculty teaches numerous courses and there no listing of clinical hospital affiliations. There are no federal or regulated private loans. Complaints have been received from students about slow refunds and withholding of transcripts. Free housing advertised on web site is so poor that most students will pay to rent apartments.

University of Sint Eustatius,
St. Eustatius, Netherlands Antilles, 1999
Deficiencies
Section I b,c,d,e,h
Section II c,d,k,l
Section III b,c,d,e,,i
Section IV c,f,l
Section V b,c,e,f,h,j,l,n,m
Section VI b,d,e,f,h
Section VII b,d,e,f,g,i
Section VIII b,c
No substantive changes were noted since the last site visit. A promised campus complex has failed to materialize and there has been significant turnover in faculty and administration. Classrooms are in rented local buildings and can require up to a 30 minute walk from one area to another. ?Dorms? are actually run down local hotels. There is insufficient library space and inadequate book and journal holdings although the computer lab is well equipped. Curriculum has a minimal 32 month total duration with an unrealistic number of basic science courses crammed into four terms. School does not publish hospital affiliations or loan programs. Large student body contingent from African country was withdrawn by government last year. School accepts large number of transfer students, some without proper documentation or completion of a full basic science curriculum. Advertising of success rates on web site is misleading.

International University of the Health Sciences,
St. Christopher, West Indies, 1997
Deficiencies
Section I a,b,c,f,g,h
Section II a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,j,k,I,
Section III b,c,d,f,h,I,k
Section IV c,d,e,f,g,k,m
Section V b,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,o
Section VI b.c.d.e.f,g,h,I,j
Section VII a,b,c,d,i
Section VIII a,b,c,e
No significant changes noted since last visit for school with a primarily distance learning curriculum. Grants advanced placement to allied health professionals; full-time residence on St. Kitts is not required. Problem based learning on computer with tutorials gives insufficient basic science preparation. No labs or real library at ?campus? site which is a solitary rented building, ? Brannigan House?. Lacks permanent onsite faculty and the web site list is misleading about actual faculty involvement with students. While hospital experience on St. Kitts has expanded, local physician preceptors are not skilled in problem based learning. There is no list of clinical sites and no federal or regulated private loans are available. Several state licensing boards will not license graduates of this school. Marketing is misleading on web site. Several new affiliations listed in India but Medical College of London does not appear to exist nor have a current link from IUHS. Web site advertises eligibility to take PLAB in U.K. but this was not confirmed by General Medical Council in U.K. The website for IUHS has been expanded to list affiliations with other institutions in the United States, United Kingdom and India. There were no site visits to these ?affiliates? and the London contact appears to have vanished.

St. Matthews School of Medicine,
Ambergis Caye, Belize, Central America, 1997
Deficiencies
Section I b,c,d,f,h
Section II c,e,k,l
Section III a,b,c,d,e,f,i
Section IV b,c,f,g,m,n
Section V b,d,e,f,h,I,I,j,l,m,n
Section VI a,b,e,h,i
Section VII b,e,f,i
Section VIII c
This school has experienced serious internal management problems with both high faculty and administrative turnover. Relocation of basic science campus last year to a rented office building in the Cayman Islands provides only the most basic classroom facilities. The labs and library remain inadequate; plastinated parts are used in anatomy instead of cadavers. School is very decentralized and the Maine campus at a small remote college still lacks proper structure for a basic science instruction. Portion of instruction done in USA may create licensing problems, although this school is still too new for many test cases. Possible licensing issues are still not realistically addressed by the school. School takes significant amount of transfer students and failures from other medical schools. Web site is misleading as to facility and actual onsite fulltime faculty. Clerkship program is loosely organized.

University of the Health Sciences, Antigua,
West Indies, 1982
Deficiencies
Section I a,b,c,d,g,h
Section II a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,j,k,l
Section III b,c,d,h,j,k
Section IV f,g,I,k,m
Section V b,c,e,f,,h,j,k,l,m,n
Section VI a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,
Section VII b,c,d,e,f,g
Section VIII a,b,c,d
Distance learning, part-time attendance, and advanced placement to allied health professionals are part of this curriculum. The school also specializes in quickie, but expensive, ?conversion? degrees-for dentists, veterinarians, doctors of osteopathic medicine and chiropractors to MD?s. There is a run down permanent campus in a remote location with a guard at the gate. Visitors are not welcome. The dorms are old barracks. There are insufficient laboratories and a small library with a few old books and journals. Insufficient faculty are onsite (one elderly fulltime anatomist this past visit) and the faculty list on web page is very misleading. There is no list of clerkship affiliations or preceptors and the school has no relationship with the local hospital or health care community. Stafford loans were withdrawn on an emergency basis in 1995 by US Department of Education, there are no current financial aid programs. Letters sent by former students complain of inability to obtain transcripts and vital licensing endorsements as well as tuition refunds. This school has been in existence over 20 years but web site fails to list graduates with residencies. There are email contacts for more recent graduates but we received few replies.

Spartan Health Sciences University,
St. Lucia, West Indies, 1981
Deficiencies
Section I a,b,c,d,h
Section II a,b,c,d,f,g,j,k,l
Section III c,d,k
Section IV c,f,m
Section V b,ce,f,h,j,l,m
Section VI a,b,e,f,h,I
Section VII c,e,f,I
Section VIII a,b,e
There are no significant changes since the last site visit. There is some improvement noted in the permanent campus building that sits next to a bottling plant in an industrial area of Vieux Fort. There is a small stable faculty who each teach several courses. Nearly all are foreign trained with the exception of 2 Spartan graduates who never completed residencies. There is no alteration in the minimal four trimester basic science curriculum which is taught in a piecemeal approach. It is impossible for all the basic science and pre-clinical topics to be covered in such a short time frame. Two cadavers, one male and one female, are present in the tiny anatomy lab. There is a small library with internet access but the holdings of books and journals are insufficient. There is no listing of hospital affiliations and students must pay own clerkship fees, which can be several hundred dollars a month. 66 weeks of required core clerkships includes only 6 weeks of Pediatrics but 20 weeks of core surgery and surgical subspecialties. The main teaching hospital is a small facility for civil servants in Juarez, Mexico, which tends to run a low census. There is little structure to the teaching program and students must often find there own clerkships in the USA. Federal loans were withdrawn 1997. Despite establishment in 1981 and claims of licensed graduates in 40 states, this school can provide the names of fewer than 60 licensed graduates. There is a history of legal sanctions by California and injunctions by the Texas Attorney General.

Members don't see this ad :)
St. James School of Medicine,
Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles, 2000
Deficiencies
Section I a,b,c,d,f,g,h
Section II a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,j,k,l
Section III b,c,d,g,h,i,j,k
Section IV d,f,g,l,k,m,n
Section V b,c,d,e,f,h,j,k,l,m,n,o
Section VI a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,I,j
Section VII b,c,d,e,f,g,i
Section VIII c
This school began by taking transfer students to clerkships before basic science instruction actually commenced. The basic science curriculum attempts to cram the first two years of medical school into four short trimesters. The facility consists of a few classrooms in a very old school building with no gross anatomy lab or cadavers. There are a few microscopes and improvements in classroom equipment but the overall impression is one of high school science facility, and a poor one at that. There is limited internet access but no real medical library. Up to date journals and texts are woefully absent. There is high faculty turnover and some teachers are also students. Some faculty teach many courses that are often not within their field of expertise. This school has minimal admission standards and has a high percentage of transfer students. Recruiting is directed toward granting advanced standing to allied health professionals; a policy clearly stated on the web page. Allied Health professionals pursuing this course of study are at risk for licensing problems. Another program targets foreign trained MD?s in a ?rehabilitation? program. There is no listing of clerkship affiliations in the catalog or on the web page and applicants are given false assurances that their clerkships will meet ?greenbook? standards by recruiters.

St. Martinus University, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles, 2003
It appears every Dutch island with the exception of Aruba now has a medical school. There is a sketchy web page showing a minimal basic science program crammed into four short trimesters. The new medical is located in Otrabanda, a charming, older area trying to attract business and tourist interest. The facility is a cavernous, old school building sorely in need of renovation for basic medical school facilities such as labs and a library. There were a handful of students and three faculty (one was the Dean) present. The Dean was a former administrator at the University of Sint Eustatius. This school hopes to attract Venezuelan and South American students with plans for extensive development and charges a great deal of tuition for a practically non-existent program. There are no loan programs to date. Curacao is a large island with one large major teaching hospital and more sophisticated medical community than most Caribbean islands. For the time being, St. Martinus rates Global Deficiencies Categories I-VIII.

St. Mary?s School of Medicine, Castries, St. Lucia, West Indies, 2003
This school first surfaced in the Pacific Basin with a WHO listing in the Cook Islands, Rarotonga. There was an aborted effort to hold classes in the Hawaiian Islands resulting in the loss of tuition to many students. The promoter, who had an office in El Paso, Texas, then began instruction across the border in Juarez, Mexico, following the time honored tradition of CAHSU and Spartan. Complaints to the Texas Attorney General by students led to governmental scrutiny and this school vanished from site for a few years. It has resurfaced with a web site and alleges a campus now on the island of St. Lucia. The address on St. Lucia is actually a post office box and there was no evidence of a campus. Furthermore, the World Health Organization is unable to verify any request from the Ministry of Health of St. Lucia to list this school in the World Directory of Medical Schools. St. Mary?s WHO listing has been removed from the Cook Islands. Students are not approved as of the fall of 2003 to take the USMLE exams by the ECFMG. The web site gives no names to contact other than ?Admissions? which is how inquiries are answered by email requests. Students are not required to pay an application fee by must put down a non refundable matriculation of $950.00. St. Mary?s is more than deserving of the Global Deficiencies, Categories I-VIII. There are probably a few confused souls who will actually send a deposit to this place.

Grace University,
Belmopan, Belize, Central America, 2000
Deficiencies
Section I a,b,c,d,f,gh
Section II a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,j,k.l
Section III a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,I,j,k
Section IV c,f,g,I,k,m
Section V a,b,c,d,e,f,h,j,k,l,m,n
Section VI b,c,d,e,f,g,h,I,j
Section VII b,c,d,e,f,g,h
Section VIII a,c,d
Grace University has been in existence for over 15 years and reinvented itself on several occasions. Opening initially on the island of Nevis with a minimal operation, a Cambridge, England, ?campus? was subsequently opened. The site visit in 2001 revealed a shabby, run down upstairs flat on the outskirts of Cambridge promoting a distance learning program with advanced standing for allied health professionals. The school closed briefly when it lost its charter then obtained registration in Belize. The operation moved to the capital, Belmopan, with promises of building a new campus. Grace remains true to its prior modus operandi and has its classes in a rented two flat building on a dirt side road in a residential area. A handful of students hear lectures by a few visiting faculty in the made over living room and bedroom ?classrooms? in this dreary place. There is no catalog and the web site misrepresents the program, facility and faculty members. There is no list of hospital affiliations. This school has run out of the promoter?s home in Florida despite regulations by the Florida Department of Education that requires an approval process. Run from this one.

Central American Health Sciences University,
Belize City, Belize, Central America, 1996
Deficiencies
Section I a,b,c,d,f,h
Section II a,b,c,e,f,g,j,k,l
Section III b,cd,e,g,h,k
Section IV a,b,c,d,f,g,j,l,m
Section V b,c,d,e,f,h,j,k, l,m,n
Section VII c,d,e,g,I
Section VIII d,e
There are few changes since the last site visit. The school has moved further from Belize City into an area designated as the ?free zone.? This is a guarded area for businesses investment and other entities. The building is an improvement over the former structure but nevertheless rented. There is a large library with computer access but holdings are sparse and most woefully outdated. Students live in nearby small village; this is an isolated area. The anatomy lab held two desiccated cadavers with dirty dissection tools lying about on trays. There is minimal faculty presence; most are part-time. The handful of students present during the site visit state they spend only two terms in Belize then go to the Juarez, Mexico, ?campus.? Our site visitors confirmed that this is, in fact, a store front facility directly across the border from El Paso, Tx. The school does not publish a hospital affiliation list. There is a history of sanctions by the Texas Attorney General.

American International School of Medicine,
Liliendaal, East Coast Demerara, Guyana, South America
Deficiencies
Section I b,c,d,f,g,h
Section II a,c,d,e,f,g,h,j
Section III b,c,d,e,h,i,k
Section IV a,c,f,g,m
Section V b,d,e,f,h,j,k,l,m,n,o
Section VI a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,I,j
Section VII b,d,e,f,g
Section VIII a,c
Application to this school can only be made online and faxed to a number in Massachusetts. Information available on the web site is still incomplete. Minimal facilities and labs still characterize this school which gives advanced standing to allied health professionals and clerkship credit for on the job training. There is some experience available in local hospitals. There are few fulltime qualified faculty members and no list of clerkships. The promoter is a graduate of Grace University with no postgraduate training. Tuition refunds are given only in the case of proven serious illness per the web page.

Centro de Estudios Universitarios Xochimilco,
Ensenada, Mexico
Deficiencies
Section I b,c,d,f,gh
Section II a,b,c,e,f,g,h,I,j,l
Section III b,cd,h,I,k
Section IV a,f,g,k,m
Section V d,f,g,h,l,n
Section VII c,d,e,f,g,I
Section VIII a,b,d

This school has opened and closed in a number of locations in Mexico for the past 15 years. It moved from central Mexico to the Baja peninsula to attract gullible Americans. It was featured in 1992 on a national investigative news program and subsequently lost U.S. Federal loans. The campus is still housed in a former hotel. There are no labs and few fulltime faculty. Admission standards, course attendance and testing requirements are lax. Faculty is primarily part-time and courses are taught in a haphazard order. There is no list of affiliated hospitals and haphazard clinical supervision.

The following schools have some deficiencies but have passed the test and are good caribbean schools that are worth looking at. I would advise people to first look at MD and DO schools in the US before looking at these. Either way though, you will still be a doctor. :D

http://www.aaimg.com/list/meeting.html

The threshold for meeting or exceeding AAIMG evaluation criteria was a minimum of 75% compliance in each category.
St. Georges School of Medicine,
Grenada, West Indies
Deficiencies
Section IV a
Section VII i

Saba University School of Medicine,
Saba, Netherlands Antilles
Deficiencies
Section I c
Section III e
Section VII i

American University of the Caribbean:
St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles
Deficiencies
Section I c,i
Section II k
Section IV f,n
Section V g
Section VII i

Ross University School of Medicine,
Portsmouth, Dominica, West Indies
Deficiencies
Section I i
Section II a,n
Section IV f,n
Section V g,i
Section VII i

*Medical University of the Americas,
Nevis, 2000, West Indies
Deficiencies
Section I c
Section II c
Section III d,e
Section IV f
Section V c,n
Section VII i

Universidad Iberoamerica,
Santo, Domingo, Dominican Republic
Deficiencies
Section I c,f,
Section II g
Section III k
Section IV a,g,n
Section VI c
Section VII i
Section VIII d

Instituto Technologica De Santo Domingo,
Dominican Republic
Deficiencies
Section I a,c
Section II f,g,l
Section III k
Section IV a,e,f
Section V g,n

Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara,
Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico
Deficiencies
Section I c,i
Section IV a,n
Section III k
Section IV f,k,n
Section V g,n
Section VII i
Section VIII d

Universidad Autonoma de Ciudad Juarez,
Juarez, Mexico
Deficiencies
Section I c,d
Section III k
Section IV a,f,k,n
Section V d,g,n
Section VI f,j
Section VIII d

Universidad De Monterrey,
Monterrey, Mexico
Deficiencies
Section I c
Section III I,k
Section IV a,c,f,k
Section V d,g,n
Section VI f,j
Section VIII d

Instituto Tecnologico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey,
Monterrey, Mexico
Deficiencies
Section I c
Section III k
Section IV a,f
Section VI j
Section VIII d

Universidad de Montemorelos,
Nuevo Leon, Montemorelos, Mexico
Deficiencies
Section I c
Section II k
Section III k
Section IV a,f
Section VI f,j

* This school was listed as provisional in the last report. It is rare for AAIMG to find 75% compliance for a new school, particularly in the Caribbean Basin. Of 9 new schools to open in the Caribbean and Central America since 1997, this is the only school with a permanent, suitable physical facility, adequate staffing and developed clerkships.

Luck,

WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE FOR YOU TO LEARN SOMETHING. Your entire argument is based upon the fact that you seen some evaluations on a website. WTF???????? You have then put the burden of proof on the Caribbean students to prove you wrong.

Well, let me ask you this? Wouldn't a reputable organization have verifiable credentials?

Here are more questions:

1. Why does every Caribbean school deny that they have had a site visit by AAIMG?

2. Why does AAIMG have no picures or records of these supposed site visits?

3. And Yes, why do none of their leaders on the website have verifiable credentials?

4. Why don't they return calls or emails asking for verificiation?

5. Why are they hosted in Russia?

6. Why do several Caribbean schools tell of blackmail solicitation attempts by a Russian Organization acting in the name of American students to get good ratings?

Any group or person that asserts some argument or theory has to have some measure of proof to support this authority. That's basic argumentation and evidence. This organization has nothing.

****PROSPECTIVE CARIBBEAN GRADS****

Don't listen to LUCK. He will clearly never change his views. Do your own research!!

Aucdoctobe said:
1. Why does every Caribbean school deny that they have had a site visit by AAIMG?

2. Why does AAIMG have no picures or records of these supposed site visits?

3. And Yes, why do none of their leaders on the website have verifiable credentials?

4. Why don't they return calls or emails asking for verificiation?

5. Why are they hosted in Russia?

6. Why do several Caribbean schools tell of blackmail solicitation attempts by a Russian Organization acting in the name of American students to get good ratings?
Can anyone say conspiracy theories? :laugh:

Luck said:

Boy, You got me there. You sure do now how to make an argument. Not! :laugh:

Luck said:

Those all seem like valid questions to me.. I don't see anything conspiratory behind them.

Why would someone go through all that trouble of making that websites and include all that information? Why would they leave an email address for people to contact?

As I said before, none of you offer real evidence and all I see is speculation. This may be good enough for you caribbean students but I would think twice if I was a premed considering some of the caribbean schools just based on that site.

Oh, I'm not a Caribbean student, and I didn't say that I think the site is a hoax..

I just said they were legitimate questions. :D

Personally I don't really see all that much wrong with the site. The "big three" do well (as would be expected), and the lesser-known and less reputable do not. Those observations seem legitimate, as well. :)

Edit: I've done a bit more digging around and several have said that the State of Oregon investigated the AAIMG and labeled them as fraudulent. Some have tried to find their supposed address in Nevada and it was supposedly a skin care shoppe. And there are a few other things like them having listed places like SMU as severely defficient, afterwhich New York went and investigated them and gave full approval for licensure.

Who knows; anyone who makes a decision based solely off of a single site is asking for trouble, anyway.

asianpride said:
this guy sounds like a real conspiracy theorist
yikes

I'm sorry that I scared you but your going to need to gain some courage. If this is scary to you, then you need to develop a serious set of b@lls. I've seen little kindergarten girls with more bravado.

Aucdoctobe said:
I'm sorry that I scared you but your going to need to gain some courage. If this is scary to you, then you need to develop a serious set of b@lls. I've seen little kindergarten girls with more bravado.

scared me? where did you get that?
you just sound like a nut!
no visits? no pictures? the moon landing was faked? the russians are coming!
take your medicine and try to focus
good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
asianpride said:
scared me? where did you get that?
you just sound like a nut!
no visits? no pictures? the moon landing was faked? the russians are coming!
take your medicine and try to focus
good luck

You not only show yourself to be a chicken/chump, but now your babbling incoherent thoughts. You need some help.

Drakensoul said:
Oh, I'm not a Caribbean student, and I didn't say that I think the site is a hoax..

I just said they were legitimate questions. :D

Personally I don't really see all that much wrong with the site. The "big three" do well (as would be expected), and the lesser-known and less reputable do not. Those observations seem legitimate, as well. :)

Edit: I've done a bit more digging around and several have said that the State of Oregon investigated the AAIMG and labeled them as fraudulent. Some have tried to find their supposed address in Nevada and it was supposedly a skin care shoppe. And there are a few other things like them having listed places like SMU as severely defficient, afterwhich New York went and investigated them and gave full approval for licensure.

Who knows; anyone who makes a decision based solely off of a single site is asking for trouble, anyway.

Thanks Draken. Can you post the link to that Oregon finding?

Aucdoctobe said:
You not only show yourself to be a chicken/chump, but now your babbling incoherent thoughts. You need some help.
Why are you getting so mad at asianpride? He was just saying what appears to be clear from what you have posted, talking about conspiracies from Russia.

Draken, I would also like to see that report if you have it since there is no other evidence that refutes it and so far all I've heard is hearsay. If this was a court of law, your side would have lost.

Since you made the accusations that it is false, you have to provide evidence for your accusation. All I've seen is a bunch of fluff. Just because all your other caribbean buddies say it's not credible doesn't make it so. ;)

Luck said:
Actually, in all reality it could be real. No one on this board can unequivocally say it's a scam. For your people's information that site was given to me by a prospective caribbean student.

What evidence have all of you provided to try to prove it is a scam?

1. The president looks like he could be from a GQ magazine.
2. They won't respond to the emails.
3. They appear to be from Russia.

I'm sorry but no one has provided real evidence that it is a scam. Therefore, it is fair to conclude that it is a good source for premeds. Until it is proven otherwise, I don't see why you can say it is a scam.

Well, they've cleaned up their website in the last 6 months - but the old site had an "address" in Reno, Nv that was a mailboxes etc type place. Not a real business.

AAIMG is not registered as far as anyone can tell, with any state in the US.

And, why don't they have a real address? Phone number?

Luck said:
Why would someone go through all that trouble of making that websites and include all that information? Why would they leave an email address for people to contact?

As I said before, none of you offer real evidence and all I see is speculation. This may be good enough for you caribbean students but I would think twice if I was a premed considering some of the caribbean schools just based on that site.

Shilling for some of the eastern european schools that are total fakes?

Aucdoctobe said:

at least im not studying "medicine" at some Caribbean "medical school"

Luck said:
Why are you getting so mad at asianpride? He was just saying what appears to be clear from what you have posted, talking about conspiracies from Russia.

Draken, I would also like to see that report if you have it since there is no other evidence that refutes it and so far all I've heard is hearsay. If this was a court of law, your side would have lost.

Since you made the accusations that it is false, you have to provide evidence for your accusation. All I've seen is a bunch of fluff. Just because all your other caribbean buddies say it's not credible doesn't make it so. ;)

I never said that I saw a proven .gov website claiming it to be fraudulent; when I googled it, I saw discussion about it on more than one forum. Whether they were "caribbean buddies" or not, I have no idea. For the most part, the AAIMG's info about deficient schools appears to at least have been accurate at one time (some seems a bit dated).

Fairly clear from the way you're posting that you're trying to be inflamatory without being overt about it; I said previously that I'm not a Caribbean medical student (and I never have been). I don't have any "caribbean buddies" that I'm aware of, and I frankly don't care about the AAIMG one way or the other. Just thought it was an interesting situation to have professional-esque website be accused of being a hoax, so I thought I'd read around a bit. :D

But, yeah, I don't play the "OmggG!!1!1!11oneone you insulted Caribbean medical schools and I will now begin flame war #23847134" game (which is where it looks like asianpride might take us). People who actually matter are aware that at least three of them (more like five) provide equivalent education and are reputable. In any medical school, success depends on the person. Medicine is a constantly changing field, and the most important thing you can take away from medical school is to know how to update yourself and find what you need quickly (my opinion, of course). If people put forth the effort to learn the information, they'll do fine; the Step 1 is a great way to have a standard for judging success through the first two MS years (and 3 and 4 clinicals are done in the States and graded anyway, so that's irrelevant), and if someone from AUC pulls a 260 on the Step 1, I don't think many people will be arrogant enough to try and degrade them for being a foreign MD.

I know quite a few physicians (who are excellent in their fields) who happened to graduate from foreign medical schools (some that aren't even listed ;)) and are now very successful and competent, which is why I respond to these types of issues.

Overall, I definitely agree with you that there is no excuse for choosing a Caribbean school over a US MD if there's an option. However, those who are motivated, determined, and hard-working that don't have said choice, can make a career as a practicing physician via a Caribbean school. I, personally, don't care where my doctor graduated from, I just want him to be competent.

Anyway, to un-derail....
I have no idea whether or not the AAIMG is a hoax or not; some of the information seems accurate, some seems a little questionable, all-in-all the website doesn't seem like any kind of a blatant attempt to steer people away from certain schools toward any others. People can draw their own conclusions, and as I said, I'd sincerely hope that someone wouldn't make a decision to attend or abstain from a school based solely on a single website. :D

asianpride said:
at least im not studying "medicine" at some Caribbean "medical school"

So, you have finally exposed the real motivation behind all your flaming. Another insecure reader...

And I'll be proud of my Caribbean "Medical school" till the day that I die. I've spent over 2 years researching my decision. No looking back now.

Maybe you should look into the Caribbean. It can help you become a doctor.

Alright flame bait (yes Luck, I am talking to you). I also remember hearing something about the Oregon Medical board.

What if I email them (a real credible organization)? If they confirm this organization is worthless, will you post a new topic admitting that you were wrong?

If you are going to talk the talk, then you need to back it up.

Aucdoctobe said:
Alright flame bait (yes Luck, I am talking to you). I also remember hearing something about the Oregon Medical board.

What if I email them (a real credible organization)? If they confirm this organization is worthless, will you post a new topic admitting that you were wrong?

If you are going to talk the talk, then you need to back it up.
You're the one that is talking making a thread saying it's a scam and yet provided no proof that it was besides hearsay. Bring on the proof.

Drakkhan, the previous post was directed to Aucdoc I believe. I am glad that you think some of the site is credible because it certainly looks like it is. I think it is ludicrous that all these other caribbean students are knocking it without providing evidence just because it doesn't agree with their point of view.

Alright Luck, It's on. I sent this email to the Oregon Medical Board:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:22:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Please answer my Question
To: [email protected]

Hello,

I have been doing research on Caribbean Medical
schools and came across an organization called AAIMG
(American Association of International Medical
Graduates).

http://www.aaimg.com/

I was told that the Oregon State Licensing Board
investigated this organization and found it fradulent.

Can you confirm this? I would be greatly indebted.

Thank You,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, we wait...

Jesus christ, taking it a bit personal, AUCdoc? ;)

Just remember, it's never worth getting worked up over things people say online. It'll be interesting to see what they say, though..

I will present my first piece of evidence. The organization AMSA recognizes AAIMG as an upstanding organization.

http://www.amsa.org/intl/ecfmg.cfm

Question number 9 on that page.

"AMSA QUESTION IX: American Association of International Medical Graduates (AAIMG)

A. Could the ECFMG grant special status to students graduating from a school endorsed by the AAIMG? Since 1999 the AAIMG has undertaken a rigorous and comprehensive accreditation process to evaluate foreign medical schools in the Caribbean, Central America and Europe based on numerous criteria. Such an accreditation process has long been overdue, given that WHO and ECFMG recognition of foreign medical schools is basically a formality once a school has received a charter from its home country. AAIMG will also periodically reevaluate schools having received both passing and failing grades, as well as schools which have recently been established, to encourage that certain standards are met and maintained. The AAIMG's list of schools is not complete, but it might be an excellent foundation from which to build on, and hopefully it can be expanded with funding from ECFMG. For more information, you can visit the AAIMG's website at www.aaimg.com "

My second form of evidence. It is listed as a link for this premed website. Why would they list fraudulent websites if they are trying to help out premeds?

http://www.fifthpathway.com/links.html

My third form of evidence. The following is a website of a medical school. It lists on the webpage that it received a favorable rating from AAIMG.

http://www.palacky.com/students.html

"The School will support and may provide assistance if required and incentives for student's integration in the home country. The School received favorable evaluation from the American Association of International Medical Graduates (AAIMG), please cf. http://www.aaimg.com."

My fourth form of evidence. Cornell on their premed website listed it as an important link.

http://www.career.cornell.edu/HealthCareers/applicationProcess.html?refresh=true&cat_id=83

"AAIMG recognizes that thousands of highly qualified U.S. citizens are denied admission to medical school each year and must study abroad. Current medical school admission standards in the United States overemphasize the importance of standardized tests and grade point average."

Don't you find it weird that so many people recognize the validity of AAIMG and the only people that don't are caribbean students? I rest my case.

Luck said:
I will present my first piece of evidence. The organization AMSA recognizes AAIMG as an upstanding organization.

http://www.amsa.org/intl/ecfmg.cfm

Question number 9 on that page.

"AMSA QUESTION IX: American Association of International Medical Graduates (AAIMG)

A. Could the ECFMG grant special status to students graduating from a school endorsed by the AAIMG? Since 1999 the AAIMG has undertaken a rigorous and comprehensive accreditation process to evaluate foreign medical schools in the Caribbean, Central America and Europe based on numerous criteria. Such an accreditation process has long been overdue, given that WHO and ECFMG recognition of foreign medical schools is basically a formality once a school has received a charter from its home country. AAIMG will also periodically reevaluate schools having received both passing and failing grades, as well as schools which have recently been established, to encourage that certain standards are met and maintained. The AAIMG's list of schools is not complete, but it might be an excellent foundation from which to build on, and hopefully it can be expanded with funding from ECFMG. For more information, you can visit the AAIMG's website at www.aaimg.com "

As usual, Luck you have presented your information in a completely one sided manner. Let's go even further where the ECFMG basically explains why it is so important that AAIMG be provided no special status. Organizations are created all the time to give false validity to medical schools. This one does not get special treatment. Point 1 refuted.

ECFMG RESPONSE
There are a number of organizations throughout the world that accredit medical schools, either regionally, or world-wide. Graduates of these schools must meet all requirements for ECFMG certification. No "special status" is granted to such graduates. Any granting of "special status" would raise complex issues (ECFMG is not an accreditation organization) and possible, unintended consequences. For example, if the requested "special status" resulted in a waiver of the requirements for USMLE Step 1 or Step 2, there is a question how such an individual would meet eligibility requirements for Step 3 and state licensure.

Luck said:
My fourth form of evidence. Cornell on their premed website listed it as an important link.

http://www.career.cornell.edu/HealthCareers/applicationProcess.html?refresh=true&cat_id=83

"AAIMG recognizes that thousands of highly qualified U.S. citizens are denied admission to medical school each year and must study abroad. Current medical school admission standards in the United States overemphasize the importance of standardized tests and grade point average."

You forget to mention that none of the sites you mention endorse this website's validity. They specifically provide it as an alternate source of information for those seeking information. I'm sure that if someone emailed them and told them about the scam, they would reconsider.

Just wait until I get the results of a real investigation...

Drakensoul said:
Jesus christ, taking it a bit personal, AUCdoc? ;)

Just remember, it's never worth getting worked up over things people say online. It'll be interesting to see what they say, though..

Draken,

You are right. After the results of this email, I will try and let this go.. Save one message poking fun at Luck.

That website is listed as legitimate according to the Ontario Medical School Application Service

king@queens said:
That website is listed as legitimate according to the Ontario Medical School Application Service
:laugh: Thanks king for that information. Maybe Aucdoc will believe it now since it's not coming from me. I tell you Aucdoc will do anything to disprove something as legitimate as that site even after I showed him that the AMSA believes in the legitimacy of the site, a medical school believes in the legitimacy of the site, and even Cornell's premed department does. :rolleyes:

Aucdoctobe said:
Draken,

You are right. After the results of this email, I will try and let this go.. Save one message poking fun at Luck.
Even after an email, I and others have presented overwhelming evidence that it is legitimate so I'm surely not going to believe some copied "email" that could have easily been forged by someone finatical like you.

Luck said:
Even after an email, I and others have presented overwhelming evidence that it is legitimate so I'm surely not going to believe some copied "email" that could have easily been forged by someone finatical like you.

No phone number, no address = No Credibility.

OR, you can become a depositer at my online bank

flighterdoc said:
No phone number, no address = No Credibility.

OR, you can become a depositer at my online bank
Did you just see the pieces of evidence I posted and the statement that king made. All point to the validity of the site. Hey, just because you would like to think it isn't credible, doesn't make it not credible.

Why even say anything to this post if you contribute no evidence to support what you say. You already said it has no address but I'm sorry, that amounts to nothing. :thumbdown:

Luck...you any relation to CedricW?

hndrx1a said:
Luck...you any relation to CedricW?
I never heard of the guy but I did a quick search on him. He seems like a real jerk. :D

I'd have to agree with flighterdoc. The lack of an actual address and contact info should raise anyone's suspicions. This practice appears to be inconsistent with a licensed non-government business/organization.

Also, the fifthpathway.com website cited is not a recognized organization as well. It's an unofficial guide created by a couple guys from UAG's North American Student Association.

I browsed through the Ontario Medical School Application Service website but couldn't find any mention of Caribbean schools so if someone could post the link to the specific page, that would be appreciated.

The presence of the link on Cornell's Career Services website in no way demonstrates it as a valid organization, even though they may feel the website/organization may be a helpful resource. More likely than not, someone or some people in the department thought it might be helpful to pre-meds and decided to put a link to it. I'm sure many people on this forum can point to the deficiencies and misinformation of many pre-med counselors but that's another topic for another day.

I think if the AAIMG were a legitimate organization, that would be great. However, I have my doubts with the evidence presented. Just because there is evidence, it doesn't mean that it's good evidence. Just as there are published studies on something, doesn't mean that it was a good study. Even if the intentions of those running AAIMG are well-meaning, it doesn't escape the fact that we have yet to see an official governmental organization in medicine (e.g. ECFMG, state boards, WHO, etc.) recognizing it. That's my $.02 on this whole thing.

Okay, I talked to the Oregon medical Board, and they could find nothing on AAIMG. Oh well..

But you know after I read through all of these arguments presented by me and various other users on the forum, I've become convinced that no amount of reason will convince Luck and a few others that AAIMG is legit. So, it's not worth trying.

People who want to can see the obvious. At least this thread will serve as a warning to future prospective Caribbean students.

Note to prospective Caribbean students: ***Beware of certain trolls. They will discourage you as much as they can. Don't listen. They will call you colleague when you are a doctor. Stay away from unverifiable organizations with hotmail addresses.***

Aucdoctobe said:
Note to prospective Caribbean students: ***Beware of certain trolls. They will discourage you as much as they can. Don't listen. They will call you colleague when you are a doctor.
I agree with this statement. Trolls will tell you lies. You have to listen to both sides of the debate to form an answer. Read the AAIMG, read other sites, ask doctors to get the informed decision what school to apply to. If you can't get into MD or DO schools in the US look to SGU.

If you can't get into SGU, look to Ross and then finally your last choice should be AUC. If you can't get into any of all those schools, then I would say reapply again with the same list.

You are people are funny. I never said AAIMG had the power to accredit anything. I said that it was a site where they evaluated schools and presented their findings. Even on the site it has no mention of accrediting schools.

From the dictionary accredit = To supply with credentials or authority; authorize. You are right to say AAIMG doesn't accredit. It merely gives its findings to all who may be curious.

All my pieces of evidence suggest it was a good site for premeds to visit. The OP said it was a scam and still there has not been any evidence to suggest so. You right it doesn't accredit the schools, but it checks how the schools are.

Luck said:
I agree with this statement. Trolls will tell you lies. You have to listen to both sides of the debate to form an answer. Read the AAIMG, read other sites, ask doctors to get the informed decision what school to apply to. If you can't get into MD or DO schools in the US look to SGU.

If you can't get into SGU, look to Ross and then finally your last choice should be AUC. If you can't get into any of all those schools, then I would say reapply again with the same list.
another topic but i have to say a horrible formulation. I agree with the "go to a us allo pathic school if you can" but all else doesnt follow. Some IMG schools are better than some DO schools; SGU isn't right or nessary for everyone and Ross, AUC or others may be a better fit. I'm amazed how dogmatic people are about this issue but they throw out any topic and you can force people to take a side and defend vigerously. FOr htose who really want to inform themselves; check out these
1) a schools boards pass rate
2) % who make it to the boards with thier class (a 90% psas rate is horrible if half the class doesnt make it there in a timely way)
3)can you get licensed in the state you want from that school
4)list of residencies, type and quality
5) after this consider cost, lifestyle etc.

A person who wants to be a family practicioner in NY may not find sgu the most fitting place for him etc. Its far more complex that a rank listing.