AAMC 4R verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frankrizzo18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been dabbling with the 4R verbal that I took last week! In looking over it, I am shocked at how difficult the verbal section is, especially with a scale that strict. It is considerably tougher to get through, and a lot of the questions are quite difficult. The Orangutan passage has a few questions in there that are really specific, and the Civilization and Discontents passage was very challenging. Are others in agreement? or am I maybe overanalyzing? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No, I completely agree with you! I thought 4R verbal was very difficult. I missesd 3 questions on the orangutan passage alone. There were several questions in that section where I was down to two and just could not decide which one to pick. I think that AAMC verbal is harder than Kaplan verbal, at least my scores indicate so.

I agree, that was a really hard test. I just took it today, and on the Orangutan passage and the last passage about the religion, I got every single question wrong except one! I did ok on the other passages, but it seems like every test has one or two of these especially difficult passages, and they always bring my score down a lot.

I took 4R verbal tonight. It's definitely harder than 3R and 7R verbal (which are the other AAMC tests I've taken). I actually missed a lot on the democracy vs. economic growth passage (3 on that passage) and 10 questions overall which is not bad until I looked at the curve. -10 = 10

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I took 4R a little while back on the verbal is pretty tough on this one.

I have 7R and 8R to go- anyones thoughts on these verbals?

Well, a 10 on 4R verbal is a really good score in my opinion. It was very difficult to get 9 passages done (I only finished 8). Plus, the questions were a little different, and the passages seem to be structured differently, too. I have been reviewing the crap out of it to see if I can maybe figure out what was so hard for me. I am beginning to think that since this test was adapted for the updated MCAT that it does not really have the same feel, nor does it have the same expectations of what the MCAT verbal test-taker requires to do well on it. Blah Blah Blah, hopefully 5R, 6R, and 8 will send me soaring and build my confidence!!

BigRedPremed said:
I took 4R verbal tonight. It's definitely harder than 3R and 7R verbal (which are the other AAMC tests I've taken). I actually missed a lot on the democracy vs. economic growth passage (3 on that passage) and 10 questions overall which is not bad until I looked at the curve. -10 = 10

Hmm, I made a 10 on 4R, 11 on 5R and 10 on 6R, so my scores didn't really improve, which has me worried. I'm REALLY hoping that I improve on 7 and 8!