AAMC 4R--what did you think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mecute

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got V and VI left....and I want to know what to expect. How does V and VI compare with IV? I did pretty well on IV--got a 30 but I could improve a lot. Anyone have any feedback on the PS? I got the first 34 right and i'm a little skeptical...

Thanks in advance..

Members don't see this ad.

I just did 5R today. I thought it's Physical Sciences was tough, all those stupid wave problems and such. Made me want to hurt someone. The Verbal section was a doozy as well, the questions on Pablo Picasso were straight forward but the answers had me jumping up and down like a chimp wondering what they were saying. Biological Sections was pretty straight forward.

Hi,

I took the AAMC IV last week and my score breakdown was 13PS 6VR 11BS.
That verbal section was harder than any practice verbal I ever did (even the EK 101 book) or maybe I just freaked out in the middle of the test. I thought the BS was on the mark, but the PS seemed to be very very easy and intuitive compared to kaplan practice tests. What are your opinions about it?

Also, for the April 2003 MCAT testtakers, could you compare the difficulty of each AAMC IV section to the April MCAT??

Thanks

I have taken AAMC IV and V thus far and just finish the PS section on III. Test IV was straight forward and had no big surprises. Test V, on the other hand, was a bit more difficult. If the Picasso section wasn't on the test I would have scored >12 instead of a 10-11. I am wondering if someone has score conversion charts. I have tests printed several years ago and most of the tests have score ranges like 10-11 and >12. Is the score portrayed in the same fashion when one takes the online version?

Herp

Members don't see this ad :)
so yeah i just took AAMC IV . i got a 10-11P, 9V, 10-11B. I'm not so pleased about the verbal. I thought it was pretty difficult and found myself constantly narrowing it down to 2 and then guessing (I'm a bad guesser).
question... i didn't take the revised version of the test. does anyone have the 3 new bio questions that were inserted into the revised version?
also, has the score conversion chart changed from the old version?
thanks

I took 4R last week and 5R today...my scores on 4R were 12V, 9 BS and 8 PS, and my scores on 5R were 12V, 11 BS, and 6 PS (!). I did all my BS studying last week in after taking 4R, so I was glad to see an improvement in that section, but my PS score on 5R was the lowest I have ever gotten. :( I'm kind of freaked out about it, I was getting 7-8 in PS and hoping to bring that up a couple of points before the real thing to a 9 or 10, now I'm worried if I'll be able to do that or not. I ran out of time on that section and had to guess on the last 10 or so questions, so obviously I need to pace myself better on PS (this isn't the first time that's happened, although I don't think I've ever had to guess on so many before). I'm glad to hear that others found the PS on 5R difficult also, makes me feel like less of a ******. As far as VR goes, this has always been my best section, but I disliked it on both 4R and 5R for different reasons. On 4R, I thought the scale was a little tough--I only missed 5 questions, which earned me a 12, while missing 6 questions in that section on 3R was a 13. On 5R, I would agree with others that there were some very ambigous answer choices. BS seemed comparable on both tests to me.

When I was entering my scores into the e-mcat site (I bought the online access, then printed out 5R and took it on paper, then tediously entered my answers into the site for computer scoring), I felt so tense and kind of pissed off that this test makes me judge my self worth by a couple of points difference in one section. Every time I entered in an answer and a little red "X" came up instead of a happy blue check mark, I cringed inside. I couldn't even really be happy about the significant BS improvement because my PS scores were so crappy. I haven't really stressed about this test too much until the past couple of weeks, and I'll be so glad when it's over, I just hope I never have to take it again. Sorry, just needed to get that off my chest. +pissed+

Mistress S,
I will be glad to give you a couple of points from my 13+ scores on PS, if you can give me some of those verbal points :) Just when I thought I was improving on verbal (I was getting 9s on EK101), the aamc IV verbal gave me a whoopping 6!! That section is really getting on my nervous.

i agree with mosfet. hook me up with some verbal points. i'm pretty scared about this section. i was talking to someone the other day who was complaining that their verbal scores were 12-13 range while their sciences were around 6-7. i wish i had that problem!

Yeah guys, I guess the grass is always greener...:rolleyes: I'd happily trade a point or two from verbal to get better PS scores--then I'd have a nice, balanced 30, 10's or so in each section--the holy grail of med school admissions (along with a 3.5 GPA, of course ;) ). Good luck to everyone trying desperately to bring up their worst section before the MCAT hits us all upside the head on the 16th!

I hate to tell you guys, but 4, (especially 5), and 6 are decent indicators- at least they were for me. I thought 5 was a beast when I took it, and then scored within one point of it on the real thing. Oh, yeah and those nasty wave equations and whacked verbal passages managed to show up similarly on my actual test. Luckily, your scores look pretty good so far, so hopefully this means you guys will do well on the actual test. Good luck!

Hey,

I just finished taking the aamc V (not-revised) test. My score was 11PS 9VR 12BS. My aamc IV was 13PS 6VR 11BS. But I tell ya, the PS is much easier than any kaplan stuff I ever did.

Theman,
I don't remember seeing any nasty wave equations on my PS in aamc V. But I agree that the verbal passages were pretty psychotic. I don't know how the hell I pulled a 9. I skipped the whole picasso passage.

yo,

I just took aamc IV (not revised) and scored a:
11 ps 10 vr 11 bio
(1 question away on ps and bio for a 12) on a side note, this ps section was 100 times easier than the ps secctions on kaplan which were just downright impossible (however the scaling is way more lenient).....well ill be taking aamc V tom. we'll see how i fare...holla

Beating the proctor with your chair during the test is considered bad, right?

Refering to the nasty wave equations, you right it wasn't in five, the posters were referring to it in other tests, but they came up again in my actual test- but I was ready! Yeah that verbal in five was brutal I still have a beef with half of those Picasso questions. I thought for sure the real test wouldn't be that lame, but I had a passage or two that was just plane whacked. I wanted to just scream. Anyways, keep trucking you guys will do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to post a follow up on AAMC V

I got a
PS 13, VR 10, BS 11

The VR was very difficult the picasso passage was just insane....out of the 10 questions i think that were on it i missed 5 and even after looking at the explanations it still has me perplexed....but anyways this ps section was very EASY it did seem like many hav3e stated there was a lot of gen chem (my strongest point) maybe thats why i got the 13....i hope i get the same score or within 1 point of this score...but anyways im taking VI tom and ill post those scores tom.....holla

Do you guys think that the real mcat PS is as easy as the aamc PS?

took 5R last saturday. PS 14 VR 10 (barely) BS 13

i just hope to god 6R goes similarly, or it will be a confidence killer...right before the real thing.

Originally posted by mosfet
Do you guys think that the real mcat PS is as easy as the aamc PS?

I hope so. If it is we're gonna smash the ps section of the mcat.

indo, i hope so too. i'm really in the mood to beat the mcat's @ss...(esp PS)

hey.. what did you guys think about the verbal section of 4? I just did it and it seemed like it was really hard.. i only got an 8 :(

Tell me about it. I got a 13PS 6VR 11BS on aamc IV. It was by far the hardest verbal section I ever did (and I am not exagerating).

Update:

For test Four:
I'm taking in sections, but whatever.. same thing
Verbal : 8
Physical : 10 (barely.. stupid mistakes.. I prolly should've done better)
Bio: Taking tomorrow, will update then..

what do you guys think.. is this test realistic???

I think 4R is a bit harder than the others...also maybe the reason why EK and TPR dont administer this exam, as opposed to 5R and 6R (I mean, whats the harm in adding another AAMC exam to the course schedule??) Anywho, im pissed at my 4R scores, 10PS, 9BS, 9VR. I usually score 10-11 on the BS section, and i thought it was a lil trickier than what ive seen...verbal was one of the most challenging ive seeny by AMCAS..anyone got any other thoughts? Can i still score over a 30 next week????:confused:

Just wondering if anyone could tell me how close 3R came to your real score. Just took it and got 12V, 8PS, 12BS. Thanks!

Originally posted by Columbia22
I think 4R is a bit harder than the others...also maybe the reason why EK and TPR dont administer this exam, as opposed to 5R and 6R (I mean, whats the harm in adding another AAMC exam to the course schedule??) Anywho, im pissed at my 4R scores, 10PS, 9BS, 9VR. I usually score 10-11 on the BS section, and i thought it was a lil trickier than what ive seen...verbal was one of the most challenging ive seeny by AMCAS..anyone got any other thoughts? Can i still score over a 30 next week????:confused:

4R is actually a somewhat easier version of the MCAT. If you look at the AAMC online scale you would notice that it has a more rigorous curve than 5R and 6R. In fact 6R verbal is by far the hardest MCAT verbal I came across while studying for the April MCAT. I scored an 11 on it where as I scored a 14 on the "real" test.

is thats so, how did i end up with an 11 for 6R BS and a 9 for 4R BS???

i guess just take it with a grain of salt.. it's going to be different for everyone.. especially on test day... nothing i concrete when it comes to the MCAT

okay.. final update with 4

Verbal : 8
Physical : 10
Bio: 12

I took them in sections.. one a day.. think that makes a huge difference? Eh.. what the hell. I don't even care at this point..

Originally posted by Columbia22
is thats so, how did i end up with an 11 for 6R BS and a 9 for 4R BS???

The MCAT covers a BROAD range of information. A lot of it could be luck of the draw that you got stuck with questions and topics you weren't too familiar with.

took V today. ps was relatively easy. bs was ok...orgo kicked my ass.. verbal was aight...overshot time limit due to the picasso and the one about the poems... i now have hairless patches on my head...thanks aamc..
havent scored it yet.... cant wait....:eek: :eek: +pissed+

aight final update on aamc VI:
PS: 13 VR: 10 BS: 11
(the vr was pretty damn difficult but i thought the science were relatively easy 1 question away for a 12 in BS (lots of more complex orgo than i have seen on other tests))

Here is the final breakdown

AAMC IV:
PS: 11 VR: 10 BS: 11
AAMC V:
AAMC VI:

haha VR and BS are consistently the same however PS got stepped up i hope this is true for the actual mcat....holla

Did anyone think that the scoring on 4 was a little harsh compared to AAMC 5-6? I thought the verbal was like the same as 5+6, but the scoring curve was much higher.

If you compare the scoring for 4R to 5R and 6R, the VR and BS sections, i believe, are one point less (ie 9 instead of 10 for 43/60 right on verbal)...this, however, can indicate that the test was easier than 5R and 6R, or can indicate a shift in test focus/difficulty since August of 2001(thats when 4R was administered)....also, if you compare 4R and 6R, they both seem to be harder on the grading than 5R...im not trying to scare any of you, but both 4 and 6 were August tests, as compared to 5 which was an April test....Are we gonna get smoked Saturday????:confused: :eek: :(

VR PS/VR/BS
12/11/12
not to bad... taking 4r today and 6r tommorrow...
3r was easy
12/12/13
if the 4r and the 6r were the august tests and i drop significantly...
roll me up and smoke me...
im done...:confused: :confused:

Originally posted by PhatGtDmB
aight final update on aamc VI:
(the vr was pretty damn difficult but i thought the science were relatively easy 1 question away for a 12 in BS (lots of more complex orgo than i have seen on other tests))

Here is the final breakdown

AAMC IV:
PS: 11 VR: 10 BS: 11
AAMC V:
AAMC VI:

haha VR and BS are consistently the same however PS got stepped up i hope this is true for the actual mcat....holla

Hey great scores!!! do u have any tips for PS?

I took
6R 2.5 weeks ago, got a 11VR 8BS 7PS
5R 3.5weeks ago, got a 11VR 8BS 7PS
4R taken today got a 10VR 10BS 7PS
took parts of 3R got 10VR(6weeks ago) 8BS(2 weeks ago), taking PS 2morrow

Dang that stupid PS!!!!!!!! :(

i seem to think the ps section is the most subjective out of the science sections (definitly not including vr:))....i say this in the light that i think you can get lucky or not so lucky on your strenghts and weaknesses....i tend to be very very good with gen chem questions but just above average on physics section...but if anything when i got those 13's i honestly would say i didnt know 2 of those questions and the other 5 i would be miss were cause of stupid ass mistakes or reading the question stem wrong....as for preparing, i have been taking kaplan this whole summer and the ps section is 3947497439 times harder and i would score aroudn 11 on those....i think doing harder problems has made me think these aamc ps sections are jokes comapred to the kaplan.... ib et that has been a big help but other than that i really dont have any tips except practice practice practice i started out with a 21 on my princeton diag and im up too 32-34 on my practice tests....i wanna say i have taking 18 full lenghts and my scores have gradually but consistently gone higher and higher....post a reply if you have any other questions i doubt my dissertation helped:D

took 5r couple days ago... and if that was supposed to be a good indicator ...i was happy headed into sat... made 12/10/13
today took the damn 4r demoralized me... 10/10/9 i didnt find the verbal especially hard...but bs was hard a s **** i dont know why...maybe i just couldnt take any more of this ****... made some stupid errors on ps..should have had a 11

why why why??

Originally posted by PhatGtDmB
i seem to think the ps section is the most subjective out of the science sections (definitly not including vr:))....i say this in the light that i think you can get lucky or not so lucky on your strenghts and weaknesses....i tend to be very very good with gen chem questions but just above average on physics section...but if anything when i got those 13's i honestly would say i didnt know 2 of those questions and the other 5 i would be miss were cause of stupid ass mistakes or reading the question stem wrong....as for preparing, i have been taking kaplan this whole summer and the ps section is 3947497439 times harder and i would score aroudn 11 on those....i think doing harder problems has made me think these aamc ps sections are jokes comapred to the kaplan.... ib et that has been a big help but other than that i really dont have any tips except practice practice practice i started out with a 21 on my princeton diag and im up too 32-34 on my practice tests....i wanna say i have taking 18 full lenghts and my scores have gradually but consistently gone higher and higher....post a reply if you have any other questions i doubt my dissertation helped:D

hahaha :laugh:
Goodluck, knock out the MCAT, no PS luck for me, but I'm claiming an 8 on it :D