AAMC 6 physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The passage with the comet, coma, dust cloud, and all that fun stuff. If you don't remember the passage, there is a comet with a nucleus (as opposed to the gas and dust cloud surrounding it) composed of either rocks and gravel only, held together by its own gravity, or rocks and ice, held together by the ice.

What new information would help decide between the two models discussed in the passage?
B. Spectroscopic studies of the coma.
*C. Spectroscopic studies of the nucleus.

I couldn't think of any compelling reason to pick either one. I tried to intuit it with my crappy astronomy knowledge, but obviously came short.

What reason is there to pick C over B? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Says in the beginning of the passage that scientists don't have much direct info because the nucleus is shielded by dust and whatnot.

So, if you were to hypothetically examine the nucleus, that would provide lots of information.

Says in the beginning of the passage that scientists don't have much direct info because the nucleus is shielded by dust and whatnot.

So, if you were to hypothetically examine the nucleus, that would provide lots of information.

but the question says "What new information would help"!

It says that scientists can only infer about the nature of the comet's interior because of that shroud surrounding it. If you were to examine the nucleus, you would gain more insight whether it was closer to Model A or Model B.

So, analyzing the nucleus would be the best way of getting more information. Therefore answer is "C".