AAMC 7R: Discuss

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NUKid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took this test today and made 9,8,9. Any thoughts on this test as compared to the real thing (for those who took in April) and AAMC 8? I had trouble finishing all sections (which is usual for me) and got a ton wrong at the end.

I thought the PS section was definately fair and would have liked it more had I finished it on time.

Verbal I did not like as I had crappy timing and was caught up in the beginning.

Bio seemed okay but was rushed on the last passages/stand alones and therefore crapped out at the end.

What do people think about doing stand alones first??

Thanks and good luck to all in these remaining weeks.

Members don't see this ad.

NUKid said:
Just took this test today and made 9,8,9. Any thoughts on this test as compared to the real thing (for those who took in April) and AAMC 8? I had trouble finishing all sections (which is usual for me) and got a ton wrong at the end.

I thought the PS section was definately fair and would have liked it more had I finished it on time.

Verbal I did not like as I had crappy timing and was caught up in the beginning.

Bio seemed okay but was rushed on the last passages/stand alones and therefore crapped out at the end.

What do people think about doing stand alones first??

Thanks and good luck to all in these remaining weeks.

I took it today too! I usually do stand alones first because they're easy points (sometimes) and for some reason it seems good to get them out of the way first.

I thought physics seemed fair too - unfortunately I got really excited and spent way too much time on the ones I knew and ended up not finishing.

Hey, how did you like that one humongous passage on the high road/low road stuff for verbal? I spent about 15 minutes on it and shouldn't have because I got most of them wrong. Also, why in the world was this test printed this way? I spent so much time just turning pages to look back at the passage.

I liked Bio a lot.

Overall I thought it was better than TPR's tests!

I made a 8-11-8. I finished the test thinking I had bombed verbal, but ended up being one question away from a 12. I thought the sciences were fair, I dont expect much improvement until i start the TPR workbook. Def easier than 4931,4941 and especially 4921.

anthroguy said:
I made a 8-11-8. I finished the test thinking I had bombed verbal, but ended up being one question away from a 12. I thought the sciences were fair, I dont expect much improvement until i start the TPR workbook. Def easier than 4931,4941 and especially 4921.

Anthroguy,

Nice verbal score. That must have been tough to pull an 11. That verbal was rotten. Two passages with like 10 questions. I ended up skipping one of them and never got back to it!! I have to do somethign with my verbal timing. I think just go with gut and move because I spend too much time debating. Keep up the good work!

Members don't see this ad :)
CoffeeCat said:
I took it today too! I usually do stand alones first because they're easy points (sometimes) and for some reason it seems good to get them out of the way first.

I thought physics seemed fair too - unfortunately I got really excited and spent way too much time on the ones I knew and ended up not finishing.

Hey, how did you like that one humongous passage on the high road/low road stuff for verbal? I spent about 15 minutes on it and shouldn't have because I got most of them wrong. Also, why in the world was this test printed this way? I spent so much time just turning pages to look back at the passage.

I liked Bio a lot.

Overall I thought it was better than TPR's tests!

Coffee Cat,

I liked it better than the TPR tests too. The high road/low road passage was annoying I missed 4 on that puppy and it held me up of course. I thought it was annoying to hear people turning pages during the verbal section - back and forth the whole section. One girl who I refer to as a super turner was killing me by turning the page with a lot of force and making a lot of noise. It's like she is taking her anger out on the test pages and it's annoying to everyone else! I have to do something with my timing on verbal or I'm gonna get killed come Aug 20th.

I also debated on questions that I should have just answered and moved on with in PS. I am lacking some needed confidence in answering easy questions. I always think, no way this could be right, it's too damn easy. I swear that is one of the MCAT's tricks.

Bio was pretty good except I didn't like that passage on nematode development. I was crunched for time at that point and didn't have time to analyze all those figures. Not to mention (and I swear) that a girl who was sitting in front of me farted when I was doing this passage. It stunk up my area for like 5 minutes and was obviously distracting.

I might try to do stand alones first, they recommend that in TPR.

NUKid said:
Coffee Cat,

I liked it better than the TPR tests too. The high road/low road passage was annoying I missed 4 on that puppy and it held me up of course. I thought it was annoying to hear people turning pages during the verbal section - back and forth the whole section. One girl who I refer to as a super turner was killing me by turning the page with a lot of force and making a lot of noise. It's like she is taking her anger out on the test pages and it's annoying to everyone else! I have to do something with my timing on verbal or I'm gonna get killed come Aug 20th.

I also debated on questions that I should have just answered and moved on with in PS. I am lacking some needed confidence in answering easy questions. I always think, no way this could be right, it's too damn easy. I swear that is one of the MCAT's tricks.

Bio was pretty good except I didn't like that passage on nematode development. I was crunched for time at that point and didn't have time to analyze all those figures. Not to mention (and I swear) that a girl who was sitting in front of me farted when I was doing this passage. It stunk up my area for like 5 minutes and was obviously distracting.

I might try to do stand alones first, they recommend that in TPR.

Hey, at least you'll be well-versed if there are any distractions come test day.

You know what's really crazy? I spent about 15 minutes on the high/low road and only got 3 out of 8 right. Then I ended up with about 10 minutes for two passages (3 & 4) and got 11/12 right, pretty much guessing on Passage 4. I might start to believe TPR about ranking....nah, takes up too much time...

Man, I hope the real thing has the VR passages laid out properly!

I just took 7R, well the bio section, will finish after class......and I found it to be ridiculously easy and was wondering if I was losing my mind. I got a 12 on 4R and a 14 on 7R and I'm wondering if I should spend this week working on verbal which is why I'm retaking the test (11 8 11 R in april 04) but I'm wondering how close I can score to this on the real thing? How representative are they? If this is a pretty good estimation of how I'm going to put the bio away and study my *** off for verbal

NUKid said:

I hate that. What's worse for me was that in TPR they didn't enforce the food rule. The guy sitting next to me when I took 4921 brought in like a bag of 60 carrots and ate one every 5 minutes. It was INCREDIBLY distracting. He also brought like a 2 liter bottle of water and was drinking every few minutes or so, resulting in him going to the bathroom in the middle of the sections various times.

I saw him again while taking 4931 and the person sitting next to him moved away after the lunch break. :D

Mister Pie said:
I hate that. What's worse for me was that in TPR they didn't enforce the food rule. The guy sitting next to me when I took 4921 brought in like a bag of 60 carrots and ate one every 5 minutes. It was INCREDIBLY distracting. He also brought like a 2 liter bottle of water and was drinking every few minutes or so, resulting in him going to the bathroom in the middle of the sections various times.

I saw him again while taking 4931 and the person sitting next to him moved away after the lunch break. :D

you should break that guys face. who the hell chews on carrots during a test? they are loud!

i got 10PS 6VR 11BS...i'm a f***ing ****** when it comes to verbal.

i might bring ear plugs to the real thing, they help me study a lot. I never tried them before, my friend gave me them. They are foam and expand to your ear....if I was sitting next to someone like that I'd probably be so mad that I'd physically remove him from the room

I only took the BS section and got an 11. I hope this is how I perfrom on the real deal. I was scoring 6-8's on my daigs/AAMC tests for the April exam. That EK 1001 book rocks!! :p

Got a question about AAMC 7R #28 on PS.
The explanation that I have for 7R does not make any sense, the answer comes from the equation thats given in the passage but nowhere on the explanation does it use number or state how they got the answer?
Anyone have any idea?

Thanks
VP

It's a plug and chug: (let the little "E" symbol be epsilon, which is molar absorbtivity)

They are asking for A, absorbtivity, given in th passage as A=epsilon(c)(l).

In the question, they give you epsilon = 198. From the chart, you have c, which is [Br] = 4.14 x 10^-3 in experiment one. The length is 1cm.

A= 198 (4.14 x 10^-3) (1) = .820

The only tricky part is the l=1. You leave it as cm, because they give you the epsilon in M^-1 cm^-1.

NapeSpikes said:
It's a plug and chug: (let the little "E" symbol be epsilon, which is molar absorbtivity)

They are asking for A, absorbtivity, given in th passage as A=epsilon(c)(l).

In the question, they give you epsilon = 198. From the chart, you have c, which is [Br] = 4.14 x 10^-3 in experiment one. The length is 1cm.

A= 198 (4.14 x 10^-3) (1) = .820

The only tricky part is the l=1. You leave it as cm, because they give you the epsilon in M^-1 cm^-1.

but answer is 1.22 for some odd reason, i have no clue how on my answer sheet it says C for #28 which is 1.22.

Thanks
VP

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the hard copy (booklet) of AAMC 7, and in the back, it says B for #28.

All that confusion over a typo!!!

NapeSpikes said:
I have the hard copy (booklet) of AAMC 7, and in the back, it says B for #28.

All that confusion over a typo!!!

ok cool as long as the book is wrong everything is good.
thanks
VP

NikkiFSU said:
i might bring ear plugs to the real thing, they help me study a lot. I never tried them before, my friend gave me them. They are foam and expand to your ear....if I was sitting next to someone like that I'd probably be so mad that I'd physically remove him from the room

Nikki I should warn you that at the TPR practice tests, we're told that you aren't allowed to wear ear plugs. It blows, but I think it's to prevent people from working past when time is called (since they can't hear the proctor).

Was the BS section easy on this test? Why is everyone getting 10+? When I took it last year I got a 7. This time I got an 11 so I assume it was because of my improvement, but still everyone here seems to of been nailing 10-13.

USArmyDoc said:
Was the BS section easy on this test? Why is everyone getting 10+? When I took it last year I got a 7. This time I got an 11 so I assume it was because of my improvement, but still everyone here seems to of been nailing 10-13.
I think it's pretty comparable to the other aamc's. Can't comment on the real thing because August will be my first, but my BS score for this was the same as for 6R. Haven't taken 8 yet...

I actually felt this was right on par with the real deal. I took it in April. However, I was not as well prepared as I am now.

Just took 7R,

13P, 6V, 13B. Verbal really bit me hard. That first 10 question passage about art, subjectivity, objectivity, killed me. I, usually can't get 1 to 2 passages done in verbal. I dunno what to do improve to my verbal to at least an 8 by the 20th. please help someone. should i keep practicing? or should i really scrutinize the questions that i get wrong? What's more effective. someone please help

I took 7R a few days ago and got 10P, 10V, 11B. These scores were pretty similar to what I got on 5r and 6r so I guess that's good. I got 12's on the bio sections of 5 and 6 though so I was a little disappointed but I thought the outcome was pretty close to what I expected. I keep getting 31's on all the AAMc's even after I study more and more. Guess Im just wasting my time.

Just took 7 today. Got a 9 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS. Made some stupid mistakes because I left my sweatshirt at home and was freezing cold and couldn't think straight. That verbal seemed really hard. I took 6R before the April exam and got an 11 on it. I usually get around 10-11 on VR. Of course, I got a 7 on the real one, so go figure. I was actually pleased with the PS score, because it's always been my worst subject, had a problem with it because I hadn't finished physics by the time I took the MCAT. Yea, I'm feeling good this time around.

This test was actually pretty easy. Seemed to be very straight foward. After doing so many practice tests im finding humor in the weirdest places. Like the one question where the lady was going on vacation, and at the third one she had an accident. I started laughing out loud in my basement when i read that. And then question #211. That lady was a freakin trollop! 10 kids with two different guys.

So I took AAMC 7 today. Don't have my scores yet, but I thought Verbal was super difficult. The passage on atonality/music theory crap totally screwed me over. I guessed on every question. The high road passage was also very hard. So I think I did poorly on this section, which blows. PS was okay, I ran out of time on the last passage. I thought BS was very easy. So we'll see how this translates into actual scores.

Took 7R today. 10P 10V 10B: 30. Very happy! One question away from an 11 in physical. I've beengetting 30s on most of the tests, so I'm pretty consistent and would love a 30 on the real thing. How well does this test tend to predict your score?

Just finished 7 today. Woke up at 7 and started the exam at 9 am since I had to wait for a friend to bring me the print out of the exam, during that period I had 5 cigs, a red bull and an espresso, let me tell you once I started the exam I felt like ****. I thought I was going to bomb it, I was hyperactive, hungry and couldnt concentrate. I ended up staring at the first question for 3 minute literaly, and still got it wrong!!!. Then I had McD before starting verbal, which wasnt a good idea, managed through though. Bio is usually my strongest but I still didnt feel like a I did that good......but as everyone says your score doesnt correlate with how u feel after the exam, and I have to say thats true. I ended up with 11P, 9V, 12B. I guess I am hovering around that range since for for 4r I got 33, 6r was 32. What really pisses me off is that I have been bustin my ass studyin every day after I took 4r and I still do not see any improvement, any advice?. Still glad I broke 30 I guess.

Took 7R today. I must confess to erupting in laughter when I saw "Sarah had a serious accident while playing sports". Judge me if you like. I found the bio to be acceptable. Verbal was enitrely too dull and left a lot of room for my mind to wander. PS was just as difficult as the real MCAT I took in 2003. Taking a TPR full length tomorrow and 8R next Saturday.

DPS319 said:
Took 7R today. I must confess to erupting in laughter when I saw "Sarah had a serious accident while playing sports". Judge me if you like. I found the bio to be acceptable. Verbal was enitrely too dull and left a lot of room for my mind to wander. PS was just as difficult as the real MCAT I took in 2003. Taking a TPR full length tomorrow and 8R next Saturday.

Oh i dont judge you lol. I forget what test I was doing, maybe it was Kaplan Fl6 and it said something about "breech roles" for women. Back in the day this is how women started on the acting stage and it was common for them to go topless and sleep with men in order to find a husband. I did awesome on that because my gf is an actress and is currently doing a bunch of off broadway stuff so I read it intently and then I called her during the break and had to tell her all i learned. She didnt care for how I phrased some of the stuff though :rolleyes:

What does the "R" mean? Is this the same as the AAMC7 test adminstered by TPR for their classes? If so, I just took it.

I thought the verbal was INCREDIBLY hard but I somehow got a 13 (!!!). I'm extremely scared now cause my twisted (and nonsensical) logic tells me that I just used up all my luck on this practice test.

Meanwhile, careless errors + sheer stupidity continue to dominate my PS section.

R means revised.. wow.. good job on your verbal.. i took this test too today.. only scored a 9 in verbal?/ what did u do?

gujuDoc said:
AAMC tests do an extremely good job of predicting most people's scores or at least the general range. What were your other practice scores??

3R: 28
4R: 30
5R: 29
6R: 30
7: 30

I was one question on physical science away from an 11, which would have gotten me a 31. Extremely happy b/c my April was sub-25, so if I continue, i'll definately be ecstatic.

ahhh123 said:
R means revised.. wow.. good job on your verbal.. i took this test too today.. only scored a 9 in verbal?/ what did u do?

I honestly think it was mainly luck. I tried to go with focusing more on the main idea this time around but I still found a lot of the answer choices confusing. A lot of the time, I had to go with the answer I felt was the least crappy and I forced myself to move on. I somehow managed to "finish" the verbal in the sense that I at least skimmed each passage. Anywho, I'm only aiming for a 10 on the actual test for verbal so hopefully a bit o' luck and practice will make that goal attainable come test day.

NUKid said:
Anthroguy,

Nice verbal score. That must have been tough to pull an 11. That verbal was rotten. Two passages with like 10 questions. I ended up skipping one of them and never got back to it!! I have to do somethign with my verbal timing. I think just go with gut and move because I spend too much time debating. Keep up the good work!

11-12-12 for me. Most of my improvement (3 points) was in verbal. The only thing differently this week was not listen to princeton. I borrowed the ek verbal book this last week, and they suggest no ranking no reading ahead just going through the passages one by one, so i did. I don't annotate, just read all the way through and then close my eyes and spend 15 secs thinking of main idea and tone of author. It's all about reading the answer choices carefully i've found. Anyway, just my take.

My previous diags with TPR were 24-25-31 (with this being PS 10, VS 11, BS 10. Today I took 7R and scored 31 (with this being PS 9, VS 12, BS, 10). I was very disappointed since I keep reading that the diags are so much harder. I expected at least a little jump. I feel that on August 20th, it's going to come down to sheer luck on passage content as to whether I achieve my goal of 33.

Got my scores for AAMC 7. 10P 11V 12B = 33. Very happy with my PS score b/c I didn't even finish. Surprised with verbal ... I thought I had made a 10 at the highest (guessed on at least 10 questions). Happy with bio, but it was super easy, I should have done better, I think.

I keep asking this but no one answers me... what exactly IS the EK strategy? I've been itchin' to try it out but the book I ordered from half.com one MONTH ago hasn't arrived yet and it's driving me crazy!

Mister Pie said:
I keep asking this but no one answers me... what exactly IS the EK strategy? I've been itchin' to try it out but the book I ordered from half.com one MONTH ago hasn't arrived yet and it's driving me crazy!
The EK strategy is hardly a strategy at all, but rather a common sense approach. They just tell you to take the passages in order. You read for the main idea and answer the questions for each passage, everything in order. Go back to the passage as little as possible, especially if you already have trouble finishing. There's no skipping around, mapping, etc. Just read and go. Oh, and they say to take a five second breather in-between each passage to let your mind relax. Hope that helps.

What is the correct answer for #103 (verbal)?
The explanation given seems to contradict what they say is the correct answer choice and support the one I picked. I chose C ("diatonic pieces follow certain guidelines...etc") but they say choice A is correct.

jmnykrkts said:
What is the correct answer for #103 (verbal)?
The explanation given seems to contradict what they say is the correct answer choice and support the one I picked. I chose C ("diatonic pieces follow certain guidelines...etc") but they say choice A is correct.
Answer key says C. Where the heck are you guys getting your messed-up answer keys??

NapeSpikes said:
Answer key says C. Where the heck are you guys getting your messed-up answer keys??

Thanks. I dunno what the deal is with these answer keys but in my set there's always a few mistakes in there. Sometimes it's not just a discrepancy between explanation and answer choice but an explanation that has nothing to do with the question at all. Can be quite confusing. I got my material off ebay so perhaps this has something to do with it...

i'm not sure about this - - but is there a conv chart FOR AAMC 7?

I have the chart for 6r - do I just use that? Or, is there a conv. chart for 7 itself? I just took the test...

If so - can someone please post the raw scores for the 3 sections for 10s and above?

Thanks

NapeSpikes said:
The EK strategy is hardly a strategy at all, but rather a common sense approach. They just tell you to take the passages in order. You read for the main idea and answer the questions for each passage, everything in order. Go back to the passage as little as possible, especially if you already have trouble finishing. There's no skipping around, mapping, etc. Just read and go. Oh, and they say to take a five second breather in-between each passage to let your mind relax. Hope that helps.

Thanks, that clarified a lot for me. It seems like their strategy doesn't work that well for TPR-made tests though since those seem highly detail oriented. Man, I really gotta get my hands on an EK verbal book.

today must be my lucky day or something b/c this is the only practice exam that i've been able to get above a 9 in the ps section (1 q away from a 12). all the other practice exams ive taken have been craplan ones so maybe that's why, but who knows, i don't want to jinx myself by complaining!

oh and i HATED the high/low road passage!

Misty said:
today must be my lucky day or something b/c this is the only practice exam that i've been able to get above a 9 in the ps section (1 q away from a 12). all the other practice exams ive taken have been craplan ones so maybe that's why, but who knows, i don't want to jinx myself by complaining!

oh and i HATED the high/low road passage!

sweeeeet! nice job misty, maybe its the beginning of a new trend... just in time too :)

thanks arsenic! i hope it's the beginning of a new trend too, i've been working hard on improving my ps score so hopefully this score was not just a fluke.

gujuDoc said:
Is craplan supposed to be Kaplan??????? :laugh: :laugh:

yeah, but only b/c the last kaplan fl i took was fl4 and the ps section made me really angry at kaplan for including so many difficult passages, so i felt justified in saying craplan :D