• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

bajoneswadup

Mar 27, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
For a given magnitude of B1, the nucleus with the nonzero precession frequency will be which of the following:

A: 4/2He
B: 16/8O
C:19/9 F
D:208/82Pb

B1 is a magnetic field vector.
Answer:C

I got the right answer, but isn't 16/8O paramagnetic too? This question is just diamagnetic vs paramagnetic right? O has 2p4 so...confused a little

MrNeuro

7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2010
Danger Zone
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
For a given magnitude of B1, the nucleus with the nonzero precession frequency will be which of the following:

A: 4/2He
B: 16/8O
C:19/9 F
D:208/82Pb

B1 is a magnetic field vector.
Answer:C

I got the right answer, but isn't 16/8O paramagnetic too? This question is just diamagnetic vs paramagnetic right? O has 2p4 so...confused a little

keyword is nucleus got me for a second then i remembered NMR = NUCLEAR magnetic resonance imaging then remembered 1H and 13C work

you're dealing pairing of protons thus you want an uneven number of protons

also remember that its NOT electrons b/c the end product of an MRI is an image thats created by photons of light

E=mc^2 so an electron w/ a really small mass when undergoing an energy transtion from a parallel spin state (in line w/ the magnetic field) back down to the normal energy level its going to release a photon of light E= hf = hc/lambda

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

typicalindian

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
If I remember correctly, the passage even tells you "an unpaired electron (or proton, can't remember off the top of my head)". Since the atomic # = # of protons and # of electrons (Assuming it's in its neutral state) the first thing you look for is the element with an odd atomic number.

About the Ads

typicalindian

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It's a good thing my reading comprehension has not increased.

Definitely pay attention to the passage. There have been several questions throughout the aamc's that CAN be answered through background knowledge but alot of the time the answer is literally in the passage.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.