AAMC CBT 10 Score Conversion!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Playmakur42

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took CBT 10 online, and although my percentages of correct answers remained almost identical to all of the other paper practice tests I have taken, my scaled scores in both PS and BS went down a whole point each!.

Does anyone have any info on if the CBT is scaled differently, the test is written expecting people to get higher percentages correct, or the test takers are just getting better scores on average?

It just seemed unsual to me that the scores dropped so much when the percentage of correct answers stayed the same.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I just took CBT 10 online, and although my percentages of correct answers remained almost identical to all of the other paper practice tests I have taken, my scaled scores in both PS and BS went down a whole point each!.

Does anyone have any info on if the CBT is scaled differently, the test is written expecting people to get higher percentages correct, or the test takers are just getting better scores on average?

It just seemed unsual to me that the scores dropped so much when the percentage of correct answers stayed the same.

Thanks for the help!

In my experience there are some fluctuations. The difficulty does vary and since the MCAT is scaled, you can't assume exactly the same percentage/score conversion for every test.

The way I understand it, according to the AAMC site, the practice tests are retired forms of actual past tests and the scales they use are the actual scales used to score that test when it was given for real. So yeah, it will vary across years since they are from a range of several different years.

For example, on AAMC 8 I got 4 wrong on verbal while on AAMC 10 I got 2 wrong on verbal; I got a 13 on both sections. That's just the way it is... all you can do is hope that people taking the same form as you on the real thing don't do so well...

If 10 is newer, it might be a sign that as time went on, people practiced more and did better on average, so the scale had to get stricter.