I feel like there is an error in "Item 116". This is the Biology question concerning the E.Coli population in the colon:
"If the E. Coli population in the colon is severely reduced due to extended antibiotic treatment, which of the following effects on digestion and nutrition are most likely to occur?"
Answer: Deficiencies of specific vitamins.
OK so I get that the passage mentions that the bacterial species in the colon produces B12 and Vitamin K, however, I thought that we couldn't absorb these vitamins in the colon (mainly B12). These vitamins are released distal to the area of the small intestine where absorption occurs. The question specifically mentions the E. Coli population in the
colon.
This is what Wikipedia has to say:
"Ultimately, animals must obtain vitamin B12 directly or indirectly from bacteria, and these bacteria may inhabit a section of the gut which is distal to the section where B12 is absorbed. Thus,herbivorous animals must either obtain B12 from bacteria in their rumens, or (if fermenting plant material in the hindgut) by reingestion of cecotrope feces"
Also:
"The human intestinal tract itself may contain B12 producing bacteria in the small intestine,[79] but it is unclear whether sufficient amounts of the vitamin could be produced to meet nutritional needs."
Sooo.... unless we eat our own poop, or unless the question was asking about E. Coli in the
small intestine, then we really don't receive much Vitamin B 12 from our colonic E. Coli. Also, there is no intrinsic factor available. Now supposedly we do absorb a significant amount of Vitamin K from the E. Coli in our Colon, but I was unable to find any significant detail on this. Guyton & Hall's Physiology textbook just gives it a brief mention.
I guess I was mostly thrown off by The Berkeley Review's Passage: Chapter 6, Passage 8 in biology. Question 40. The answer explanation says that Colonic B12 is not absorbed because it is produced distally to the point of absorption (In the Ileum).
Regardless, I still feel like the better answer in this case was "Intestinal tract infections due to increased populations of other bacteria". I was thinking along the lines of C. Diff.
If anyone would like to share their thoughts, I would appreciate it.