AAMC CBT4 and 4R OFFICIAL Q&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vihsadas

No summer
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the official Q&A thread for AAMC CBT4 and 4R.

Please post ONLY questions pertaining to AAMC CBT4 and 4R.
Out of respect for people who may not have completed the other exams, do not post questions or material from any other AAMC exam.

Please see this thread for the rules of order before you post.

Good luck on your MCAT!

Members don't see this ad.

Because:

- alpha-hydrogens next to the carbonyl groups (especially between 1,3-dicarbonyl aka acetoacetic esters) are especially acidic because they are electron-withdrawn by the carbonyl groups.

- note that there are TWO hydrogens in between.

- when you substitute one of these hydrogens for an alkyl group (electron donating group), you make the last remaining hydrogen LESS acidic.

- this is analogous to the haloform test, where you react your methyl ketone with a halogen and base. As soon as you substitute one hydrogen on the methyl group for a halogen, you make the entire molecule more reactive and more susceptible to attack (due to the electron withdrawing group). Therefore with the 1,3-dicarbonyl groups, you need to get a STRONGER base to remove the LESS acidic hydrogen left in between.

- SS3 :luck:

Because:

- alpha-hydrogens next to the carbonyl groups (especially between 1,3-dicarbonyl aka acetoacetic esters) are especially acidic because they are electron-withdrawn by the carbonyl groups.

- note that there are TWO hydrogens in between.

- when you substitute one of these hydrogens for an alkyl group (electron donating group), you make the last remaining hydrogen LESS acidic.

- this is analogous to the haloform test, where you react your methyl ketone with a halogen and base. As soon as you substitute one hydrogen on the methyl group for a halogen, you make the entire molecule more reactive and more susceptible to attack (due to the electron withdrawing group). Therefore with the 1,3-dicarbonyl groups, you need to get a STRONGER base to remove the LESS acidic hydrogen left in between.

- SS3 :luck:

Thanks a lot. I guess I was confused because I considered the alkyl group as electron withdrawing, when it is really electron donating. I can see how electron donating groups would make a compound less acidic, since they'd make the negative charge on the conjugate base more pronounced.

#137 is not making any sense

Isopropyl iodide is almost the same as Propyl Chloride

and how come the Propyl Chloride will create 2-hexanone as it says in the explanation ..

======

# 140 is also confusing me... would someone please explain it in plain "English"

thanks in advance

======

test4-organic-137.jpg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
first of all, there's a big difference between almost the same and the same. The first thing you want to do for question 137 is draw out 4-methyl-2-pentanone:

4-methyl-2-pentanone.gif

(you'll see that this is correct because the longest carbon chain is 5 carbons, the carbonyl is in the 2 position, and the methyl group is in the 4 position).

Now, in Scheme 1, they show the malonic ester synthesis, but the acetoacetic ester synthesis is exactly the same, except that instead of having a carboxylic acid as the product, for the acetoacetic ester synthesis, the product is a ketone. The product of the acetoacetic ester synthesis should look like this:

acetoaceticproduct.gif

In both cases, the R is from the RX that we use in the alkylation step.

So, to figure out what alkyl halide we need to use, we simply have to look at the product we want and see what the correct R group is:

compare-1.gif

So, based on this, the appropriate R group must be:

rgrp.gif

(the little squiggly line means that the bond that it crosses is not part of the R group, but is where the R group will connect to the halide)

Thus, the appropriate alkyl halide is

rx.gif

This is an isopropyl halide, so the correct choice is isopropyl iodide.

Now, let's see what would happen if I used propyl chloride:

propcl.gif

The part in green is the R group:

propyl.gif

Remember the form of the product so we'll know where the R group goes:

acetoaceticproduct.gif

Thus:

compare2.gif

Which gives us 2-hexanone as our product:

2-hexanone.gif

Questions on the MCAT that introduce new reactions are almost always trying to test whether you can recognize the pattern and follow it. They will usually give you a figure or something that has a general form of the product, and then give you new questions that require you to simply follow that general form.

Question 140 can be done in 2 ways. You can either recognize A as the correct answer immediately, or you can eliminate the other 3 answer choices. Let's eliminate first, then explain why A is right.

We can eliminate B because it doesn't make sense. B says that the proton on the alpha carbon is more acidic the second time, so a weaker base pulls off a more strongly acidic proton more effectively. But that's just silly. A weaker base isn't more effective at pulling off a strongly acidic proton. A strong base will pull off the proton just as effectively, if not more effectively, than a weaker base. There would be no point in changing bases to make it weaker. It's like saying that a bodybuilder will have more trouble picking up a 5 pound weight than an 8-year-old would. Sure, when the weight is only 5 lbs, the 8 year old can probably pick it up. But that doesn't mean the bodybuilder wouldn't be able to pick it up just as easily. So B is definitely incorrect.

C is also definitely incorrect. C says that, because the monoalkylated product is more sterically hindered, you'll need a larger base. But it's just the opposite. If steric hindrance is a problem, you use a smaller base so that it can find its way through the crowded space.

D can be eliminated for a few reasons. First of all, it's just not true. Ethanol is relatively polar, so adding an alkyl group to the molecule you want to dissolve in ethanol will make it less polar and therefore less soluble in methanol. Also, the answer choice claims that, since the monoalkylated product is more soluble in ethanol, that means that you have to change solvents. But if you think about it, why would increased solubility mean you'd have to change solvents. If you were doing the initial alkylation in ethanol, and your product becomes more soluble in ethanol, you'd probably want to keep it in ethanol. If you weren't doing the initial alkylation in ethanol, then why do you care about the ethanol solubility?

So that leaves choice A. Choice A is the opposite of choice B, and makes sense. It says that you change to a stronger base because the first alkylation made the alpha proton less acidic. Logically, this makes sense since, assuming that their statement that the alpha proton is less acidic is true, your original weaker base may not have been strong enough to pull off the less acidic proton, so now you need a stronger one to pull off the more weakly acidic proton. The other reason we can be sure of our answer is because the first part of the statement is true. Alkyl groups are electron donating. Since deprotonation of the alpha carbon leaves us with a carbanion, electron donating groups decrease the stability of the carbanion. This means that the alpha carbon is less acidic with the alkyl group because the conjugate base that you get after deprotonation is less stable.

If you notice, each answer choice was in the form:

"Because blah blah is true, blah blah is needed."

However, to answer this question, you never actually had to know if the "because blah blah is true" part was actually true. All you had to recognize was that the "blah blah is needed" part was not a logical conclusion that could be drawn from the "because blah blah is true" part.

Hope that helps

Reactions: 1 users
the answer to the qquestion is A

i am reading the solution and it says that the moles of KHP calculated if moisture is not taken out of the KHP would be lower to me.. i don't get why except there is a loop missing in my reasoning but i thought when the mass is increased due to the added moisture in it , it overall mass is increased and since mole=mass/molar mass..with the mass being bigger, then the #of moles of KHP would be greater thus leading to increased molarity..and consequently leading to an increased NAOH needed for equivalence point to neutralize it...any inputs..thank you

the answer to the qquestion is A

i am reading the solution and it says that the moles of KHP calculated if moisture is not taken out of the KHP would be lower to me.. i don't get why except there is a loop missing in my reasoning but i thought when the mass is increased due to the added moisture in it , it overall mass is increased and since mole=mass/molar mass..with the mass being bigger, then the #of moles of KHP would be greater thus leading to increased molarity..and consequently leading to an increased NAOH needed for equivalence point to neutralize it...any inputs..thank you

bump!

Is this question a mistake? I don't get the explanation at all

80515742.jpg

My understanding is 160 members are homozygous recessive with the trait. How can we figure out the % of heterozygotes and homozygote dominants with that alone?

Is this question a mistake? I don't get the explanation at all

My understanding is 160 members are homozygous recessive with the trait. How can we figure out the % of heterozygotes and homozygote dominants with that alone?

160 homozygous is right. You do have to employ the HW equation. 160/1000 = your q squared term. solve for q, p + q = 1, solve for p. Heterozygous population = 2pq term. The easiest way to solve these HW problems is to keep your numbers in fractions. ex: root 160/1000 = root 16/100 = 4/10 = q. Go from there. GL

I was reviewing this, but the way that they find the allele freq was different.

FIRST SAMPLE PROBLEM

If there is a population with 6129 individuals, and of those,

1787 are MM

3037 are Mm

1305 are mm

Number of M alleles is (1787 x 2) + 3037 = 6611

p = frequency of M = 6611/(6129 x 2) = 0.539

Number of m alleles is (1305 x 2) + 3037 = 5647

q = frequency of m = 5647/(6129 x 2) = 0.461

p^2 +2pq+q^2 =1
p+q=1

homozygous recessive is qq or q^2

They tell you that q^2 is 160/1000 or .16
so q is sqrt(.16) or .4
p+q=1 so q=.4 implies p=.6

2pq is 2*.4*.6=.48 48% of population is heterozygous
480/1000 are heterozygous.

p^2 + 2pq +q^2 = 1
homo het. homo
dom rec.

160/1000 means that a fraction of 0.160 of the population is homozygous recessive. That means q^2 is 0.16 and q is therefore 0.4. since p + q = 1 then p equals 1-0.4 = 0.6. Heterozygous (aka "carriers") would equal 2pq which is 2x0.4x0.6 = 0.48. 0.48x1000 members equals 480.

Thanks all for the replies, I never thought to find the square root then plug q into the other equation

Members don't see this ad :)
For #174.

If only the deterministic hypothesis is correct, undifferentiated stem cells isolated from bone marrow and grown in vitro will:

a. require the correct external signal to replicate
b. start to develop new receptors in adaptation to their new environment
c. differentiate non-randomly only when specific hormones are present
d. develop receptors in a random fashion

The answer is not in my solutions, so I need an answer and an explanation.

My reasoning is the answer is B. C and D partially support the stochastic view, and A doesn't seem to be addressed in the passage.

For specific density question, when they say "immersed", do they mean the object is entirely under the surface? I feel like an idiot, but their answer seems to hinge on the assumption that the volume submerged is equal to the volume of the object, but if the object were less dense than both benzene and water, I wouldn't expect it to be fully immersed unless you were holding the object under the surface with force! :confused:

My other question is regarding the explanation for a titration question.

At the stoichiometric (equivalence) point in a titration of benzoic acid with NaOH(aq) shown by Equation 3, the pH is:
A) < 4.
B) > 4 and < 7.
C) = 7.
D) > 7.
The pH at the equivalence point in any titration is the pH of the salt solution formed. At the equivalence point of the titration, the solution contains sodium benzoate and water. The passage states that benzoic acid is a weak acid; therefore, its conjugate base, the benzoate anion, is a stronger base than OH- and reacts with water to produce OH- and undissociated benzoic acid. The resulting solution then has a pH > 7, because of the hydroxide ions produced by this reaction. The reaction of an ion such as benzoate ion with water is called hydrolysis. Thus, answer choice D is the best answer

Can someone explain this to me? Isn't NaOH a stronger base than benzoate? Thank you! :luck:

For specific density question, when they say "immersed", do they mean the object is entirely under the surface? I feel like an idiot, but their answer seems to hinge on the assumption that the volume submerged is equal to the volume of the object, but if the object were less dense than both benzene and water, I wouldn't expect it to be fully immersed unless you were holding the object under the surface with force! :confused:

My other question is regarding the explanation for a titration question.

At the stoichiometric (equivalence) point in a titration of benzoic acid with NaOH(aq) shown by Equation 3, the pH is:
A) < 4.
B) > 4 and < 7.
C) = 7.
D) > 7.
The pH at the equivalence point in any titration is the pH of the salt solution formed. At the equivalence point of the titration, the solution contains sodium benzoate and water. The passage states that benzoic acid is a weak acid; therefore, its conjugate base, the benzoate anion, is a stronger base than OH- and reacts with water to produce OH- and undissociated benzoic acid. The resulting solution then has a pH > 7, because of the hydroxide ions produced by this reaction. The reaction of an ion such as benzoate ion with water is called hydrolysis. Thus, answer choice D is the best answer

Can someone explain this to me? Isn't NaOH a stronger base than benzoate? Thank you! :luck:

Since I am going to ask for assistance I may as well give some as well :)

Immersed does indeed imply that the object is completely submerged. The density of the object is not less than that of benzene or water. A submerged object displaces its volume in liquid. So you can use the equation F=DGV to find the volume. Remember density = m/v sg = dsubstance/dwater.

As for your other question. Since the weak acid is being neutralized by base all the weak acid is converted to its conjugate base. This makes the solution slightly basic. The conjugate base of the weak acid is stronger than the conjugate acid of the strong base.

^^
thanks for the response!

i guess what still makes no sense to me is why the mcat answer key states that benzoate is a stronger base than OH- (when it isnt based on pKb values), and then uses that logic to argue for why the reaction goes a little bit backwards.

^^
thanks for the response!

i guess what still makes no sense to me is why the mcat answer key states that benzoate is a stronger base than OH- (when it isnt based on pKb values), and then uses that logic to argue for why the reaction goes a little bit backwards.

Well I agree that I do not like the way they explain their answer but think about it this way. A weak acid has a conjugate weak base. Weak acids/bases still dissociate in water fairly well unlike very weak acids/bases.

If we think of water as an acid then its conjugate base is OH-. I think you are under the impression that oh is a strong base because NAOH is a called a strong base. NAOH is a strong base because NA and OH dissociate completely producing lots of OH. OH itself is not a strong base.

I hope that clears things up for u :)

Woah woah woah.

1) The explanation is just wrong. Hydroxide anion is a stronger base than benzoate anion.

2) Weak acids don't necessarily have weak conjugate bases, nor vice versa.

3) What exactly are you getting at with OH- not being a strong base 'by itself?'

Woah woah woah.

1) The explanation is just wrong. Hydroxide anion is a stronger base than benzoate anion.

2) Weak acids don't necessarily have weak conjugate bases, nor vice versa.

3) What exactly are you getting at with OH- not being a strong base 'by itself?'

The explanation is not wrong, it is just convoluted.

The acid has been neutralized. OH- is the base formed by water. Water is acting as the solvent of well water. In a neutral solution the OH- concentration would equal the H3O concentration.

The definition of a strong base in this passage is a substance that can donate OH- very well. Hence why they say titration by a strong base NAOH. OH- cannot donate(give off) OH- better than OH- but the conjugate base of the weak acid can.

Edit: Here we go wikipedia to the rescue

"In chemistry, a base is most commonly thought of as an aqueous substance that can accept hydrogen ions."

There are no additional OH- in solution to accept H+ and the conjugate base creates additional OH- making it a stronger base.

I personally would not have explained it the way aamc has as mentioned above but I am merely trying to expand upon there answer.

Last edited:
"The passage states that benzoic acid is a weak acid; therefore, its conjugate base, the benzoate anion, is a stronger base than OH- "

That's a completely wrong statement.

Second, they're titrating. That means NaOH is already in solution. The way you're phrasing it, they're not titrating with NaOH, they're titrating with OH-, which is not a strong base because it can't effectively produce more OH-?

Hydroxide in solution VERY effectively and VERY quickly produces "new" OH- in solution via proton transfers. This is the same thing that happens with the benzoate anion, except the benzoate anion is less effective.

I am not saying that they are titrating with OH-. I am saying OH- woulnt be a stronger base in this sense because there is no more OH- in solution. At equivalence all the extra OH is bound to the acidic proton on the acid.

I think this is what they are getting at and imo a more helpful explanation than just saying that there answer is wrong.

I gave a better answer to the question in one of my previous posts which actually comes from the BR chemistry book. A great book btw :)

Ok, I see what you're saying.

Let's look at what we have in solution following the titration, assuming no equilibrium.

H2O, Sodium Benzoate

Now what happens from there, when you factor in equilibrium, is benzoate acts as a base, deprotonating water, but only to a small extent. So what you have in solution is

H2O, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Benzoic Acid

The sodium benzoate, a weak base, undergoes an equilibrium reaction with water in which it deprotonates water and forms sodium hydroxide and benzoic acid. This net reaction is

Benzoate- + H2O -> OH- + Benzoic Acid

The equilibrium for this reaction lies far, far to the LEFT because benzoate- is a much WEAKER base than OH-.

I have a question regarding the malonic/acetoacetic ester passage from the BS section.

I understand everything about the passage and mechanism except for the last step--how does the reaction go from the alkylated malonic ester to the last structure in the presence of strong base/strong acid? Can someone please explain?

Question 5, wouldn't you need to find the mass and angle to find the friction FORCE. The explanation just talks about the coefficient and totally leaves out that you would need the mass to find the force, umgcos(theta). I mean I know you can get it right from process of elimination but still.

Can anyone explain the Doppler Effect question on the Physical Sciences section regarding a plane source traveling at 600 m/s relative to the detector?

The question is as follows:

"A stationary receiver detects a change in frequency of the signal from a jet flying away from it at 300 m/s. Which of the following receivers will detect the same change in frequency from a jet moving away at 600 m/s?"

The answer was D: A receiver moving at 300 m/s in the same direction of the plane.

I got the question right, based on reasoning I quickly made that if the detector moved at 300 m/s and the plane moved at 900 m/s, the plane would be moving away from the receiver at a net 600 m/s and would thus experience a similar change in frequency.

However, in hindsight, I realized this reasoning isn't entirely correct. The equation for Doppler Effect, f = f0 (V +/- Vd) / (V +/- Vs), where Vd is the velocity of the detector, and Vs is the velocity of the source, does not imply that the same relative frame of reference will produce the same detected frequency. This should be expected though since the wave travels at a speed set by the medium, not the detector or source.

What then is the reasoning behind the answer to this question? Is it just that for this specific scenario, the math ends up being right so that the change in frequency is the same for both cases, or can the differences in the relative frames of reference apply to the Doppler Effect in general?

Last edited:
Can anyone explain the Doppler Effect question on the Physical Sciences section regarding a plane source traveling at 600 m/s relative to the detector?

The question is as follows:

"A stationary receiver detects a change in frequency of the signal from a jet flying away from it at 300 m/s. Which of the following receivers will detect the same change in frequency from a jet moving away at 600 m/s?"

The answer was D: A receiver moving at 300 m/s in the same direction of the plane.

I got the question right, based on reasoning I quickly made that if the detector moved at 300 m/s and the plane moved at 900 m/s, the plane would be moving away from the receiver at a net 600 m/s and would thus experience a similar change in frequency.

However, in hindsight, I realized this reasoning isn't entirely correct. The equation for Doppler Effect, f = f0 (V +/- Vd) / (V +/- Vs), where Vd is the velocity of the detector, and Vs is the velocity of the source, does not imply that the same relative frame of reference will produce the same detected frequency. This should be expected though since the wave travels at a speed set by the medium, not the detector or source.

What then is the reasoning behind the answer to this question? Is it just that for this specific scenario, the math ends up being right so that the change in frequency is the same for both cases, or can the differences in the relative frames of reference apply to the Doppler Effect in general?

I actually don't think that you need to use Doppler Effect for this one. At least, I didn't. I solved this problem pretty quickly using number line.

Basically, consider the first case by putting the receiver on the "0" on the number line and jet as -300. The numbers here receive relative speeds. Now, the question says that the jet decided to move at 600 m/s instead. This means that jet will be at -600. We want to reduce the difference to -300 again, so this can be done by shifting the receiver to -300. This then means that the receiver is traveling in the same direction as the jet at 300 m/s. :)

How would you know to consider the heart rate diagram, versus the other physiological parameters? I understand the explanation after it says to use heart rate, but for next time how can I figure out which specific piece of info the question is referring to? (I realize this may be impossible, but if there are any suggestions out there...) Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
An organism is likely to be a bacterium rather than a virus if it:
A) reproduces by fission
B) has a rigid cell wall

The given answer is A which is ridiculous, a cell wall must my definition contain a cell which a virus doesn't have. The answer says void cell wall because viruses can have rigid capsids so the two can't be distinguished, BS if they would have had rigid coating then its easy but they said cell wall. Also a retro virus reproduces by fission when an infected cell reproduces by fission.
Concur.
PR's answer explanation is that other organisms (i.e. plants), not just bacteria, have rigid cell walls, but only bacteria reproduce by fission; fission would be the best answer. HOWEVER, many protozoa and yeast also reproduce by fission.
This question is bad.

I think B is a valid answer for the virus/bacteria question as well...IMO that's a very poor question.

Can someone please help me with the below? I'm not understanding how to approach it. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• AAMC4139.bmp
    47 KB · Views: 182
I also think B can be valid as well, although I picked A because I thought the same thing about cell wall vs virus capsule.

As far as your question goes, the passage states that the final product is determined by the alkylating agent in paragraph 1. Paragraph 2 also states that the enolate ion is alkylated by an alkyl halide. Starting out with acetoacetic ester, you enolize it to form an enolate with a negative charge on the central carbon. This carbon is alkylated. You should recognize the enolate + alkyl halide nucleophilic substitution reaction. Now you have to figure out what alkyl group was added to the central carbon. Drawing 4-methyl-2-pentanone, you can see that the alkyl group is isopropyl. Even if the text was confusing, the diagram clearly shows what occurs.

Wait what, the answer is D? My answer key says C, but it doesn't have explanations and I wasn't sure how to approach it.

You're saying that the isopropyl group would give you 4-methyl-2-pentanone right? If you are, then that makes sense to me so then 3-ethyl-2-pentanone would involve successful alkylations with ethyl iodide which would be C? If you're not saying that, then clearly I have no clue at what's going on haha.

Oh. This is embarassing. The answer is C. I thought I was answering Q137, which is D. As far as dianions go, it's the same concept, except you alkylate twice, and you're correct.

Ahh lol no worries. Your explanation still helped me understand why the answer is C so for that I thank you!

Passage IX: where would the cell be arrested?

If the anti-inflammatory drug "interferes" with DNA replication, shouldn't the cell cycle be arrested in G2, when all the DNA checks are performed in preparation for division? I'm pretty sure I've heard the term "G2 arrest" thrown about, not "S arrest," as the test would have me believe.

Because the body can only reabsorb a maximum amount of Na+ and if you have more Na+ ingested into your body it will want to excrete it out not reabsorb it through aldosterone.

Also, aldosterone is from a direct response of angiotensin/renin which is excreted when the blood pressure is low. With lots of NaCl the osmotic pressure is higher and there will be a greater blood pressure and renin will be inhibited.

Why would increasing the osmotic pressure of the blood increase blood pressure? Wouldn't it have the opposite effect because the hydrostatic pressure would be lowered?

I have a question on PS # 47. I don't know if this is a bad question or what, but I am pretty positive that there are 2 possible answers. In their answer choice justification, they say say that increasing the frequency of the photons incident on the plate will increase the velocity of the electrons 'bumped' off. This is true but ONLY if the photons have enough energy to knock the electron off in the first place. If the photon doesn't have enough energy to overcome the work function. If the initial photon energies were less than the work function, then increasing the frequency would lead to more electrons being excited, thus more electrons being ejected from the plate, as the photons started to overcome the work function. I feel like the question needs to give an initial frequency of the photons, or state in the question that all the photons start out with enough energy to eject an electron. Otherwise it's ambiguous. I'm right if the hypothetical electrons start out at a low frequency, and they are right if the electrons start out with sufficient energy. This is really driving me nuts, because I understand the science behind it quite well, but I still missed the question! I'm worried about doing the same thing on the real exam and I'll never even know it happened... Thanks!

Why would increasing the osmotic pressure of the blood increase blood pressure? Wouldn't it have the opposite effect because the hydrostatic pressure would be lowered?

If the osmotic pressure of the blood is high, cytoplasmic water will be sucked into the circulatory system, increasing total plasma volume.

Question 151 about hemolysis.

Can anyone explain to me how A would be correct for question 151 regarding the conclusion of the experiment w/glucose concentration? From the second graph, it seems that hemoglobin is lower in the frog w/higher exogenous glucose. Doesn't this point to exo glucose = higher hemolysis? I am getting so confused.

Question 151 about hemolysis.

Can anyone explain to me how A would be correct for question 151 regarding the conclusion of the experiment w/glucose concentration? From the second graph, it seems that hemoglobin is lower in the frog w/higher exogenous glucose. Doesn't this point to exo glucose = higher hemolysis? I am getting so confused.

The Y axis of the second graph is plasma hemoglobin concentration, not erythrocyte hemoglobin concentration. How did that hemoglobin wind up in the plasma (where it doesn't belong)? Because the red blood cell lysed when it froze.

Therefore, low glucose -> red blood cells freeze and pop -> hemoglobin in plasma -> frog dies. High glocose -> red blood cells don'e freeze and don't pop -> no hemoglobin in plasma -> frog lives. This is confirmed in the first graph.

I definitely do not think that, as I completely understand the photoelectric effect. I even know some of the background information about Einstein's big experiment that first showed that light was quantized. So I definitely know that it is a one to one relationship between incident photons and ejected electrons. Let's just say that the work function for an electron in the metal is 10 J. If you shoot photons with a kinetic energy of 5 J each, then no electrons are ejected. So if you increase the frequency of these photons, you get no result until their kinetic energy is 10 J. Then you start getting electrons that will have very little kinetic energy the instant they leave the place. Once you increase the photon frequency further, you start increasing the kinetic energy of the electrons. So the question seems to assume that the photons started with <10 J of energy, then you increased the frequency. But If the electrons started with 5 J, then more and more electrons will be ejected.

I just realized why you think that I think that multiple photons can add their energy to emit a single electron. I guess I assumed that in a given beam of light, you will have photons of different frequencies. If it was white light being reflected onto the surface, then this is reasonable. So I guess implicitly in my mind, I assumed that initially, only some of the photons had enough energy to overcome the work function. For example, assume that only the BIV colors of the visible spectrum had a high enough frequency and thus energy to overcome the work function. This means that the photons corresponding to the colors ROY G did NOT have sufficient energy. Now as we increase the frequency of the light, more and more photons now have enough energy to knock an electron free. Typing this out did make me realize that their answer is better than mine. Lol it actually clarified a few things about light so it was helpful. But I hope you saw where I was coming from. I assumed that increasing the frequency of the light would increase the proportion of photons capable of ejecting an electron. Which is technically correct I believe. But if you started with monochromatic light that lacked the energy to emit an electron, then increasing it's frequency would in fact increase the number of electrons ejected, no? Initially, none would be ejected, then once you hit the work function by increasing frequency, electrons would be ejected. This, increasing frequency -> increased number of electrons... Sorry for the long post ha.

My mistake AZFuture, you are correct. The question as written is slightly ambiguous. There are monochromatic light scenarios where B is correct as well as D. For instance you could hit it with low frequency infrared light first, get no effect, and then increase the frequency to the visible range and get an "increase in the number of photons ejected" (answer B).

I think it comes down to the word "will" in the question stem. Answer D is always true. Electrons (if they are ejected at all) will always eject faster if the frequency is increased. Answer B is only sometimes true.

For question #47 on the PS...

im not sure if i understand the explanation entirely. If you increase the photon frequency, itll increase the KE of the electrons. Is the increase in photon frequency referring to the intensity of the photon or the amount of photons with energy exceeding the work function?

on #89 on the verbal...

Suppose it is discovered that the first Zurvinates were influenced more by the Indian than the Babylonian conceptions of cyclical times. Does this discovert support the author's argument?

Answer B: No, it doesnt not affect it.

I thought that the babylonians had a very distinct idea of time and that was incorporated into the Zurvinate religion. At the same time it contrasted with what Zoroastrianism believed in. Are they sayin Indians also believed in cyclical time so there would be no difference?

#140 on bio...

Why is a different base often used for the second alkklaytion of acetoacetic ester?

A. Because the active hydrogen of the monoaalkylated product is less acidic, making a stronger base more effective.

The answer can be found through process of elimination but how is the hydrogren in the second step less acidic if its inbetween 2 carbonyls?

Last edited:
For question 50, I'm unable to understand how you get that the parallel 4 ohm resistor has 1A current? I was thinking that because the current had to split into two parallel wires/resistor 2 ohm and 4 ohm, they each would have equal current, 2 A....thus, final answer 4 A. However, that is not the case. :confused: