AAMC exam 8 #27

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The passage is only talking about studying the effects of pressure on gases, and given the other choices:

# of air molecules in balloon - obviously has some effect, think about volume.
thermal conductivity - governs how much heat enters/leaves the balloon, affecting temperature and therefore possibly pressure
variation with depth in the speed of the balloon - bit leery on this one, but I assume that balloons with warmer air/higher pressure air will show variation in how fast they pop to the surface
mass of the water - don't think this affects it. You could find the volume of water with the info you're given, but IIRC, equations like pgh indicate nothing about mass, just height/depth.

Still a bit confused.

So are they saying that regardless how large or small the mass of the water, it will still not affect the gas pressure inside the balloons ?

I find that hard to believe, because the mass of the column of water above an object will have an effect on the pressure felt by that object. I'm just being intuitive about it.. but please feel free to correct me.

Thank you

the mass of the column of water above an object will have an effect on the pressure felt by that object

That is totally right, but the effect of the mass of the water column is represented by (density x gravity x depth), not by total mass of water in the tank.

I agree with you that this question is irritating though, mostly because it's easy to overthink it, if you want to call it that, and assume that since they gave you so much info about the size of the tank and all, that by knowing total mass of it's contents, you can then figure out depth. Obviously twice as much mass means the water is twice as deep, given a constant sized tank.

You could argue though that this is just depth to the bottom of the tank. There's no specifics about how long the balloon strings are, and thus you really don't know the EXACT depth of the balloon when it's tied down. This gives me reason to suspect maybe water mass IS the useless info.

So I guess this is one of those problems where it pays to consider all the answers, and make sure you eliminate all the worst ones, leaving this slightly iffy one as the best answer.

I agree with Movax's explanation of # of molecules, and rubber's thermal conductivity. Both of those are arguably useful for figuring out temperature change of the air. "Variation with depth in the speed of the balloon" is a complicated phrase for sure, and would definitely be the other possibly good answer, at least to me. Movax's explanation seems logical, balloons that accelerated faster probably started at a higher temperature.

Wish I had a better answer for you, especially since you specifically asked me to throw in my two cents, but this is definitely a question I'd debate too, if all these explanations weren't already offered.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I guess this is one of those problems where it pays to consider all the answers, and make sure you eliminate all the worst ones, leaving this slightly iffy one as the best answer.

I agree with you on this one, now I see why the mass of water was an iffy choice. Thanks again for your help