AAMC FL score analysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ostrich07

Reaction score
Hey guys! So I've been prepping to take my MCAT on 8/14 and I wanted some help with assessing my AAMC FL scores. I reviewed some content prior in the couple weeks to my first full length but wanted it kind of fresh to determine my weak areas. My base:

5/30 AAMC FL1: 502, 126/126/125/125.

I reviewed it heavily and was doing all the section banks and looking over concepts for studying as well as doing flashcards for amino acids and different psych/soc terms. I spent a lot of time between my two full lengths because I felt like my critical analysis was strong but content was lacking lol so I took my FL2:

7/4 AAMC FL2: 506, 126/127/126/127

I was actually pretty happy with that as my original score goal was around a 508, but I felt like my psych/soc and B/B should've should've better, since when I reviewed the exam I had made some dumb mistakes. I followed the same study plan as earlier and I recently took my FL3 and made a huge jump:

7/24 AAMC FL3: 511, 125/128/127/131

I was extremely happy with this score as I said earlier my goal was a 508 and the whole time I was taking it I was stressed because I felt like it tested a lot of concepts I wasn't strong in. So that bodes well for my future exam, but now I'm nervous because I've read that FL3 is super inflated. Does any one have any comments about this improvement curve? Should I trust FL3 and my improvement or should I take it with a grain of salt?

Note: I plan to take FL4 on 8/8, so we will see how well I can hold onto that 511 prior to my real exam on 8/14.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My FL3 exactly matched my actual score, and my FL4 was just one point below my actual score. I think you should trust your FL3 score. By the way, you’re making great progress! Keep it up!

One thing I noticed in your score reports is that you have significantly improved in all sections except C/P. As a result, I think you have the most to gain by focusing on that section. Maybe emphasize it in your studying over the next month, but be sure to retain the knowledge you already have from other sections.
Thank you for that advice! I definitely noticed that too. I felt like especially on FL3, they tested a lot of the orgo/physics which happen to be my weak areas =( do you have any tips for increasing this section score?

For what it's worth FL3 was my worst FL and under my actual score by 7 points.... but n=1

I had probably 2 weeks between FL3 and the real thing.

Reactions: 1 user
I may be mistaken, but I believe that organic chemistry content usually makes up only a small percentage of the questions in the C/P section. While I don’t think you should shun organic chemistry content when studying (definitely know the names of functional groups and know common reaction mechanisms, like Fisher esterification, substitution, elimination, halogenation, and so on) you might get better bang for buck by focusing on improving in physics. Are there particular content areas in physics that you struggle with (electricity/magnetism, optics, kinematics, etc.)? For me, the best way to approach studying physics was to memorize and understand all of the relevant equations, then judiciously apply them while problem solving.
I think fluid dynamics and electricity are my weakest points. My brain just does not want to understand them. Is there a system or study aid that helped you in those?

Members don't see this ad :)
For what it's worth FL3 was my worst FL and under my actual score by 7 points.... but n=1

I had probably 2 weeks between FL3 and the real thing.
As I was taking FL3 I was not very confident in comparison to my other exams, yet scored higher so I'm not sure how that played out. CARS and P/S were relatively straightforward for me, which is why they were my highest sections, but C/P was definitely a struggle. What were your scores if you don't mind me asking? Why do you think FL3 was your worst FL?

514 -> 517 -> 511 -> 520 on AAMC FL. Real thing -> 518 (128/130/129/131)

FL3 really hurt me on CARS for some reason, all my other FL had cars as the highest section. I also took it while in a poor state of mind so I'm sure that played a role in it.

514 -> 517 -> 511 -> 520 on AAMC FL. Real thing -> 518 (128/130/129/131)

FL3 really hurt me on CARS for some reason, all my other FL had cars as the highest section. I also took it while in a poor state of mind so I'm sure that played a role in it.
Thats awesome congrats! How did you approach the C/P section? I would like to be a 128, as I've been hovering at 125-126 for the last 3 exams... I know I need to cover physics more but I just like to gain multiple perspectives.

Thats awesome congrats! How did you approach the C/P section? I would like to be a 128, as I've been hovering at 125-126 for the last 3 exams... I know I need to cover physics more but I just like to gain multiple perspectives.

Thanks! I was very happy with my score. My C/P actually dropped 2 points for my FL average mostly due to several passages on low-yield topics I was unfamiliar with.

Personally, I really grinded the section banks. I made extensive spreadsheets with every question I got wrong on the C/P sections of each AAMC FL and analyzed my weaknesses. I also used the MileDown MCAT Anki deck.

Good luck!