AAMC FL1 Scored. Moved from March31-June17

Started by joe_1395
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

joe_1395

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I moved my test date to give myself some time to make significant improvements after scoring a 496 (125/122/125/124) on AAMC FL1. I was scared that I would score within this range on the real thing. The goal is to score above a 505. What tips do you all have to help increase the score? I'm going to exhaust all the Kaplan materials, do all the KA passages, Do all the AAMC stuff, and have been doing 3Cars passages every day. I'm doing 6 hours of content review (especially through anki, roughly 500 flashcards per day) Need some input.
 
6 hours/day should be sufficient studying. I am retaking my exam. I took it this past September and scored a 505. My score is decent for DO but due to circumstances beyond my control I decided it would be best to sit out 1-2 years. I am sitting for the exam June 30th. Currently I am working a full-time job and can realistically see myself studying ~4-5 hours/day. It is probably in your best interest to move to the later date. When I took it the first time my scores were 126/126/126/127. To study Psych/Soc I used KA as my primary source. Mind you I was a biology major so I was pretty bummed my biological sciences score wasn't higher. I used Kaplan (excluding psych/soc) and was happy with their material

My advice to you would be to consolidate the information. This all depends on your quality of studying. Putting in 4 hours of solid/focused studying can be just as fruitful as 6 hours of "kinda" studying. I would say to look into NS as they have pretty realistic practice tests and are semi-price friendly. When I took it the first time I studied all of the sciences (some psych/soc) in ~6 weeks studying 6 hours/day. I studied Sun-Fri with using Friday as review day. Then I began taking practice tests every other week (Sundays) and reviewed on Mondays. Then for the following 3 weeks I studied T-Th I focusing on Psych. Still using Fri as review. Mind you at this point I had put in ~9 weeks of studying. The I continued with practice tests/questions/review for an additional 4 weeks. All together I studied for 13 weeks. Hope this helps 🙂
 
Once you have all the content review down solid I would spend at least a month and a half doing hours of practice passages a day. Not just CARS but science passages as well. It would be best to do these in the form of at least 5 FLs and passage practice such as AAMC SB and/or EK 101 (Biomolecules, Bio, Physics, Cars). The thinking involved in these practice materials is really similar to the real thing so if you get much better at passages your score should increase.
 
Once you have all the content review down solid I would spend at least a month and a half doing hours of practice passages a day. Not just CARS but science passages as well. It would be best to do these in the form of at least 5 FLs and passage practice such as AAMC SB and/or EK 101 (Biomolecules, Bio, Physics, Cars). The thinking involved in these practice materials is really similar to the real thing so if you get much better at passages your score should increase.
So is the EK 101 Biomolecules, Biology, and Physics worthwhile and representative of the section back/AAMC material?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have only used EK 101 biomolecules but I found that its a very similar thinking style to the real thing. I would imagine biology and physics would be similar.
 
If you dont want to spend the money then I would do the AAMC SB first since those should give more passages for your money. But if you run out of practice passages I would use those.
 
I'm not sure but it will be on their website. Personally I only used the AAMC FLs as well as EK material but the AAMC practice tests were cheaper than ek so I imagine practice passages would be as well. Make sure to get the section bank over the question pack.
 
So you mean the NS physics book is much better/more realistic compared to EK? How is the level of practice you get in the NS books? Can you compare it to TPR?
i can only judge based on their book (TPR might have great material online).. And if i had to rank them i'll say NS C/P > Ek Physics (Which is entirely Physics ) > TPR (because of the old format)