AAMC introduces VITA, a new video interview tool for admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Edited to add:
Here is the link to the list (so far) of schools that will use VITA. If one of them is a school you're applying to, go visit their web page to see if it is optional or mandatory.

Depressingly long list

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You left out: all videos and other data generated will be evaluated by an advanced AI algorithm whose output will then be scrutinized by a meta-AI whose codename is "God."
Love zoomers creativity, they need boomers to funnel them in right direction.

Depressingly long list
Ehh -- depends on how you look at it. For many people, one is too many, but it's still only around a third of all schools. No matter what tier you are targeting, if you are violently opposed to it, it can be easily avoided while still applying to over two dozen well curated schools. It all depends on how much you "need" to apply to Pitt, or Stanford, or UCF or UMass, etc. Each of those schools could be replaced by others.

Members don't see this ad :)
@KnightDoc you said "1,000,000% agree with you that the end game is to use HireVue's AI technology"

I didn't say this, I said I realize HireVue uses AI for some employers but it is not part of the AAMC VITA.

I do think VITA should be optional, but it appears to me that it will be used, by the schools who use it, as a required thing.

In Texas, my main area of concern, only Baylor is using it, only to students they invite for their regular interviews, and at that point it will be mandatory to do VITA if you want your Baylor interview. :(

@KnightDoc you said "1,000,000% agree with you that the end game is to use HireVue's AI technology"

I didn't say this, I said I realize HireVue uses AI for some employers but it is not part of the AAMC VITA.

I do think VITA should be optional, but it appears to me that it will be used, by the schools who use it, as a required thing.

In Texas, my main area of concern, only Baylor is using it, only to students they invite for their regular interviews, and at that point it will be mandatory to do VITA if you want your Baylor interview. :(

UT Southwestern and UT San Antonio are using it with their MD PhD programs.

I stand corrected. I misread your post. Then I guess we once again disagree.

I just don't believe this is yet another innocuous additional obstacle between applicants and matriculation. HireVue isn't providing it as a charitable service during COVID, and apparently neither AAMC, the schools, nor the candidates are paying for it, other than by candidates providing all of their med school data from here on out to a third party service provider that happens to sell AI algorithmic services to employers and (apparently, hopefully in the future) med schools. I'm sure it's very innocent, because the schools don't have enough information without also having an unscored one way video of candidates answering generic, non school specific prompts. :laugh:

Everyone should absolutely believe whatever they want. The value here is not to give the schools something inferior to add to the interactive virtual interview, and no one is claiming it's a substitute. It's to provide data back to HireVue so that it can either develop an algorithm, refine an existing algorithm, or run videos through an existing algorithm to show AAMC and the schools how much better its computer is at making decisions than the people who make them now. Nothing in life is free, except apparently, VITA. :laugh:

By the way, VITA is optional. As far as we've been told, nobody forced any school to participate. The schools that signed up are at least a little interested in what HireVue is selling. Mark my words -- this is going to radically alter the process in the years ahead, and it's going to involve AI in the future, even if it isn't today. You read it here first, from a know-nothing pre-med. If I'm wrong, there is absolutely no need for candidates to allow AAMC to provide any data whatsoever back to the vendor providing the platform. None at all.

Last edited:
Has anyone recorded their video yet? Are we all going to answer the same 6 questions or will there be a mix for everyone?
There will be an assortment of questions in each category so you will not all get the same set.

Reactions: 1 user
At least one school is solely dependent on VITA for this cycle.

At the bottom of the page: Common Questions about Chicago Medical School

"For the 2020-21 interview cycle the Chicago Medical School will be using the AAMC Virtual Interview Tool for Admission (VITA) as the sole interview tool."

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

"For the 2020-21 interview cycle the Chicago Medical School will be using the AAMC Virtual Interview Tool for Admission (VITA) as the sole interview tool."

This is how Skynet begins in the alternate, apocalyptic time line...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Woah!!! Clearly, they REALLY care about getting to know their candidates!!! :laugh: Trust me, this is the beginning of the end!!! In a few years, all the schools will be using the HireVue technology as a major factor in deciding who to bring in for in person interviews. That's where this is going.

Unfortunately, these dopes don't understand the proper role of the tool, because static one-way responses to a few written prompts was simply not designed to replace a live interview. They might as well have just canceled interviews altogether, since VITA is no substitute.

• Angry
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone do a VITA interview yet and if you did what suggestions do you have? I need to do one as a prerequisite before the virtual interview.

Anyone do a VITA interview yet and if you did what suggestions do you have? I need to do one as a prerequisite before the virtual interview.
AAMC has a whole bunch of practice materials on its website. What suggestions are you looking for beyond that? Remember, this is a one way tool, so you are just going to do it and submit. There will be no feedback, either positive or negative, so what can anyone tell you beyond what AAMC has made available to prepare?

AAMC has a whole bunch of practice materials on its website. What suggestions are you looking for beyond that? Remember, this is a one way tool, so you are just going to do it and submit. There will be no feedback, either positive or negative, so what can anyone tell you beyond what AAMC has made available to prepare?

I’m more looking into what it felt like for people who did the real thing. I’m going to do all the practice stuff today and this weekend and plan on doing the real thing next week but practice isn’t someone’s experience that did it. There’s also a part of me that feels weird about using headphones because I have a really nice pair of gaming headphones with a built in mic from my world of Warcraft days a long time ago but it just doesn’t feel professional to me idk. I just feel really weird about the whole thing.

I’m more looking into what it felt like for people who did the real thing. I’m going to do all the practice stuff today and this weekend and plan on doing the real thing next week but practice isn’t someone’s experience that did it. There’s also a part of me that feels weird about using headphones because I have a really nice pair of gaming headphones with a built in mic from my world of Warcraft days a long time ago but it just doesn’t feel professional to me idk. I just feel really weird about the whole thing.
Yeah, we all feel weird with this!

I'd stay away from the headphones, since there is nothing to hear -- it will just be you talking, and the headphones will only detract from the way you appear.

I think the practice interview they offer is exactly like the real thing, so there is nothing better than that, because, to paraphrase what you said, someone else's experience that did it isn't your own. Your practice on an exact simulation will be closer to what you can expect than what someone else reports as their experience with the real thing. Since all it is is recorded responses to written prompts, there is no reason for the practice interview they offer to differ at all from the real thing.

how are you guys practicing VITA? everyone says to look at the camera but I definitely feel like it looks like I'm looking up and looks super awkward...any tips?

how are you guys practicing VITA? everyone says to look at the camera but I definitely feel like it looks like I'm looking up and looks super awkward...any tips?
I scheduled a virtual session with my university's career center! I asked them to make note of my eye movements while I was answering some practice interview questions. You could also schedule a Zoom call with a friend and get their feedback.

I also learned a trick: Place a small bright-colored sticker on your computer, behind the webcam. it will catch your attention remind you to look into the webcam.

Hope this helps!

You are just going to have to get over that. Eye contact is important. Adjust the position of the camera to a place you feel comfortable. Nothing else to say. You can't review your practice videos, nor the real thing, so you actually have no idea what looks awkward and what doesn't! :) The whole thing is awkward, so there's really nothing else to say!!

for zoomers and snapchatters, facial expressions shouldn't be an issue..

• Love
  • Haha
"I further agree and give permission for the medical schools that select to view my VITA interview to release my relevant school records to the AAMC and any third-party service providers under contract to the AAMC to conduct research on the relationships between interviews, admissions decisions, and medical school performance. My medical school records released to the AAMC may include admission decisions, grades, ratings from courses and clerkships, performance on USMLE exams, professionalism, and graduation."
Seems like a coercive way to obtain research subjects. In order to apply to certain schools, you are required to complete VITA and in order to do so, you must agree that we can use your video to conduct research.

Seems like a coercive way to obtain research subjects. In order to apply to certain schools, you are required to complete VITA and in order to do so, you must agree that we can use your video to conduct research.
It's more than mere research. Google HireVue.

Is the 60 second prep time recorded as well?

Unclear, but it appears so. The timer definitely starts the minute you open the question, but it's unclear how they enforce the 3 minutes if they aren't breaking out the 60 seconds. (I haven't taken it yet, so I don't have first hand experience, but it stands to reason that you are "on" the second you open the question.)

Since you aren't allowed to consult any resources when answering, and since the camera will be on, I think it's safe to assume you are being recorded. If that's not the case, great! By why risk doing something you're not supposed to be doing, and then have it turn out you were recorded doing it? Otherwise, no reason to be any more self conscious considering your response than you will be verbalizing it! :)

Last edited:

You are not recorded. The video screen has the timer on top for the 60 second countdown and across the screen it says something like not recording until the timer is up and then a new 3 minute timer pops up after that.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to take notes during the 60 second prep time? I couldn't find this on their website anywhere. I would find it helpful to make a list of things to cover in my answer... but don't want to risk violating some hidden rule

I got the email with the invite to take the AAMC Vita interview, but no medical school has actually offered me an interview yet - anyone know what this means?

I got the email with the invite to take the AAMC Vita interview, but no medical school has actually offered me an interview yet - anyone know what this means?
Same thing happened to me. No clue which school it’s for.

It either means you will be receiving an II soon OR you applied to a school that requires it of all candidates before being considered for an II.

Same thing happened to me. No clue which school it’s for.
You should have received an email from AAMC this afternoon showing which school(s) requested the VITA.