aamc practice mcat vs real mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Omni

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Putting the post with the graph and data aside that showed AAMC Average Scores vs Real MCAT, how do people feel about the real MCAT vs the AAMC practice in similarity (content, structure, feel)?
In the past, I've been scoring 28-29s, but recently after studying some more, in exams 7 and 8, I scored 31 and 34 respectively. Although I felt a little bit elated that I finally broke 30, I'm still concerned that the real mcat may not be like this.
Qualitatively, how much similar/differemt is the real MCAT vs the practice AAMC? I have my real mcat on Sept 4th, so ~10 days.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

When I look back on my exams, I can't remember which questions came from the AAMCs and which came from the real thing. So they are very comparable.

If you factor in the stress of it being "the real MCAT" on test day, the real thing is like a noticeably harder AAMC practice test. Nothing is completely out of left field, but some of the stuff will make you think a little bit more than usual.

When I finished my review, I averaged about a 36 on my practice tests. Scored 36,36,35,36 on the AAMC's I took at that time. Test day I pulled a 33. But, whatever, I'm in my #1 choice school (after I begged them to interview me, lol) now, so I don't care if I lost a few pts.

Having said that, I know people who never broke 31 and ended up with 34s, etc, on the MCAT. It's a bit of a roll of the dice, but you can reasonably expect your scores to be within +/- 0 to 3 pts (most ppl get +/- 0 to 1pt) of your practice scores.