AAMC Section Bank Biology Question Q. 10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agurl1000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have been trying to understand why C is the correct answer. I understand that the glucose molecules raise the osmotic pressure, but at the same time it is common knowledge that things go from a high to low pressure. I might be thinking too much into this question. I know that all the other answer choices don't make sense and can be eliminated, but could someone explain to me why C is better choice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 7.18.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 7.18.38 AM.png
    280 KB · Views: 62
Remember that osmotic pressure is a "sucking" force - so if the osmotic pressure in the extramembrane space is high, that means the suction is high and so water will flow from the cell into the extramembrane space. Formally, osmotic pressure is the pressure that one would need to apply to stop the flow of water across the membrane. So it's the pressure that one would need to apply to the fluid in the extramembrane space in order to stop the movement of water from the cell to the extracellular space.

Reactions: 1 user