AAMC Section Bank Biology Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agurl1000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I was working on the Biology section of the AAMC question pack. I feel a lot of the MCAT is inferring information from the passage. So I did that in this case and I am not sure why I can't assume that it is on the Y chromosome. Is it just to simple of a generalization? I have attached the question! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 12.25.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 12.25.51 PM.png
    236.6 KB · Views: 52
The genotype for this trait (UV reflectance pigment) does not necessarily have to be expressed as a phenotype, so phenotypes only seen in males may be on autosomes and still not seen as phenotypes in females.

Hey Everyone! I was working on the Biology section of the AAMC question pack. I feel a lot of the MCAT is inferring information from the passage. So I did that in this case and I am not sure why I can't assume that it is on the Y chromosome. Is it just to simple of a generalization? I have attached the question! Thanks!

The passage doesn't give any indication as to where the gene is located, so it could be autosomal or it could be sex linked.

For the record, very rarely will you have an mcat passage that gives you a gene located on the Y chromosome, so you could almost always rule that out.

Reactions: 1 user