AAMC sends out list?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Update: Ok so it turns out it was just a glitch in the system and now it is fixed.

I'm flipping out here. In no way, shape, or form do I want the AAMC to send out a notice to schools that I am taking the August MCAT. I did not check the box knowing that that would mean the schools would review my app based on my 29 score.

I came across a status window to MSU's app system that said, pending my August MCAT score, they will hold my application.

I'm royally pissed off about this, and the AMCAS information says that they would update the schools in October when scores come out and I would be notified.

I'd like to get some interviews out of the way earlier. But if they hold until October it pushes my app way behind.

This happen to anyone else? Not to try and scare anyone in the same situation I am in. :(

Members don't see this ad.

wait, so you dont want them to know and you want them to start sending you stuff based on your april score, but aamc let them know anyway???

I guess there is an obligation by the applicants (and/or AAMC) to notify the schools that you're taking the august MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
heeseop said:
I guess there is an obligation by the applicants (and/or AAMC) to notify the schools that you're taking the august MCAT.

How's that? I haven't seen that written anywhere.

And I know for a fact that students have done what I've done with being reviewed based on their April score.

I'm just purely speculating, don't look into it too much..
this is a rather dumb question but are you sure you didn't check the box??
hopefully, it works out for you. :luck:

gapotts2003 said:
How's that? I haven't seen that written anywhere.

And I know for a fact that students have done what I've done with being reviewed based on their April score.

heeseop said:
I'm just purely speculating, don't look into it too much..
this is a rather dumb question but are you sure you didn't check the box??
hopefully, it works out for you. :luck:

Yes. That's the first thing I did before posting this thread.

I don't see why the AAMC would make this list available? I really don't see how else a school would know I'm taking the test.

Hypothetically, if I decided to get a refund for the test would they resend that list saying that I am not taking the test? You would think that it is a disadvantage to register for the August test early in this case and suck up the late fee. (You might get interview offers before even registering for the test).

I really don't understand how this could have happened.

Wow. That's not cool. I actually was going to take August MCAT myself, and only notify them if the score was higher. I thought they wouldn't find out. I certainly didn't think they are going to hold applications!

I think the best way perhaps is to call the school admission and find out. I guess that's what I'll be doing tomorrow. =)

Unfortunately, schools need to know if you are planning on taking the MCAT again in August. While I'm sure people with halfway decent scores would like to be reviewed on their original score's merits, and then have an even better score increase there chances, schools can only do so much work.

Each applicant gets one application, with one MCAT score report. This prevents students with poor April scores from being rejected out of hand without a school waiting for an additional August score, and keeps the adcoms from having to re-evaluate multiple applications multiple times.

sleepy_dwarf said:
Unfortunately, schools need to know if you are planning on taking the MCAT again in August. While I'm sure people with halfway decent scores would like to be reviewed on their original score's merits, and then have an even better score increase there chances, schools can only do so much work.

Each applicant gets one application, with one MCAT score report. This prevents students with poor April scores from being rejected out of hand without a school waiting for an additional August score, and keeps the adcoms from having to re-evaluate multiple applications multiple times.

no, no, aamc screwed up. if you didn't check the box, your april score of 29 is to be evaluated by schools without waiting. that is why aamc says if you're not sure if you're taking the august mcat, don't check the box.

have aamc correct this asap, and send you written verification of the correction. then call all of your schools and make sure they know not to wait until october to evaluate you! this is very important. waiting until oct could screw you big time!

nibrocli said:
no, no, aamc screwed up. if you didn't check the box, your april score of 29 is to be evaluated by schools without waiting. that is why aamc says if you're not sure if you're taking the august mcat, don't check the box.

have aamc correct this asap, and send you written verification of the correction. then call all of your schools and make sure they know not to wait until october to evaluate you! this is very important. waiting until oct could screw you big time!

Right... But are we sure that's how they got the information?

And is there any wording in writing that the AAMC has the right to do this in some of their fine print?

And yes I did plan to update the schools. But not until I actually take the test.

What's the consensus on this?

sleepy_dwarf said:

They do reevaluate multiple applications multiple times. It's called waves...

And it's a risk I'm willing to take with my 29 that they would reject me outright before October. Only a couple of schools I applied to would do this.

gapotts2003 said:
They do reevaluate multiple applications multiple times. It's called waves...

And it's a risk I'm willing to take with my 29 that they would reject me outright before October. Only a couple of schools I applied to would do this.

Isn't there a box you have to check before you submit that says something like "I certify that the above information is correct to the best of my knowledge"? If there is, then I think they would have to assume that you made a mistake and checked the wrong box (they know that you signed up for the test, since they administer it). If you tell them that you purposely gave them false information, that probably won't look too good...

gapotts2003 said:
I'm flipping out here. In no way, shape, or form do I want the AAMC to send out a notice to schools that I am taking the August MCAT. I did not check the box knowing that that would mean the schools would review my app based on my 29 score.

I came across a status window to MSU's app system that said, pending my August MCAT score, they will hold my application.

I'm royally pissed off about this, and the AMCAS information says that they would update the schools in October when scores come out and I would be notified.

I'd like to get some interviews out of the way earlier. But if they hold until October it pushes my app way behind.

This happen to anyone else? Not to try and scare anyone in the same situation I am in. :(

Hold the phone, my friend

I too have applied to MSU, and I have the same sentence on my "status page". It says they are waiting for my August MCAT results, just as it says on your status page.

HOWEVER

I am not even registered to take the August MCAT. I never even gave it a seconds thought to take the August MCAT. It never crossed my mind. I definitely didn't click the "im taking the august mcat" box.

I think MSU just screwed up or something, probably just a generalized statement they didn't mean to send to people.

Hope this helps, it worried me too!

I just logged back into my "status page", and it no longer says that they are waiting for my august mcat scores.

mjos22 said:
Hold the phone, my friend

I too have applied to MSU, and I have the same sentence on my "status page". It says they are waiting for my August MCAT results, just as it says on your status page.

HOWEVER

I am not even registered to take the August MCAT. I never even gave it a seconds thought to take the August MCAT. It never crossed my mind. I definitely didn't click the "im taking the august mcat" box.

I think MSU just screwed up or something, probably just a generalized statement they didn't mean to send to people.

Hope this helps, it worried me too!

Thank you God! Lol... I can breathe again. Yes... It was likely just a mistake on their part.

Good news... Good news. :) :cool: :love: :luck:

I feel very relieved for you! :thumbup: You have every right to have your app evaluated based on your current mcat score, and I didn't think AMCAS would be that devious (it would require extra coordination, if nothing else).