AAMC Vaccination requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFizition

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know much about the Hep B Surface antibody titer requirement? How lenient are they with that? I've had my Hep series years ago but never this titer. I spoke with my doc and she said that generally all they really do is staple your vaccination records to the AAMC form and give it to the med school, so she wasn't much help.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know much about the Hep B Surface antibody titer requirement? How lenient are they with that? I've had my Hep series years ago but never this titer. I spoke with my doc and she said that generally all they really do is staple your vaccination records to the AAMC form and give it to the med school, so she wasn't much help.

Thank you

A titer is a test to see if your vaccination is actually providing you with immunization (essentially) - if you have a negative Hep B titer, you either get the sequence again or a booster shot (depending on how your doctor does it). This is separate from your vaccination record itself and is a blood test you'd have done in addition to whatever other titers may be required.

Exact vaccination requirements are done on a school-by-school basis, I believe, not the AAMC, so you should ask current students for specific details at any schools you're accepted to and considering. The school itself will probably give you more information closer to summer, too.

Thank you
The point in doing the titer is that you had the series years ago. There was no leniency at my school.

There were more than a couple people in my class (including yours truly) who have had to get the booster/full because they found out that they were not immune to Hep B following the titer.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what do you do if you don't seroconvert even after another full course?

OK just for clarification, the AAMC requirement is just a general guideline, and the only thing that truly matters is the school's specific requirements? Or am I wrong?

So what do you do if you don't seroconvert even after another full course?

Interested in knowing this as well. 2 years ago I had titers drawn and Hep B came up negative even though I had done a series before entering UG. I got 2 of the 3 shots in a new series, and my PCP said that should be enough to just boost. I haven't had titers done since then; can I expect a positive result if I got labs taken say in a month? If not, do I go for a THIRD round?

I had my hep B shots. Titer came back negative. I had to get a set of shots and faxed in the proof. Then I had to get another set of titers done to prove it took. I am assuming you do this forever. You should ask.

OK just for clarification, the AAMC requirement is just a general guideline, and the only thing that truly matters is the school's specific requirements? Or am I wrong?
This isn't about a hoop you need to jump through. You WILL be exposed to a lot of these diseases during med school. The point isn't just to have your paperwork in order, it's to not die of hepatitis related liver failure.

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry to revive an old thread but what about schools that ask you for proof of vaccination? Does this mean I need to find my doctor's records--that immunization stamp card I vaguely remember my mom having? I'm a nontrad and these were mostly done as children right? How am I supposed to find early/mid 90s records if my parents have lost them?

Am I stressing over nothing and titers will suffice?

Sorry to revive an old thread but what about schools that ask you for proof of vaccination? Does this mean I need to find my doctor's records--that immunization stamp card I vaguely remember my mom having? I'm a nontrad and these were mostly done as children right? How am I supposed to find early/mid 90s records if my parents have lost them?

My school wanted all of it. I had titers done for Hep B, MMR, and Varicella. (Not all of these were required, I needed all but Hep B done for something else). My school only required a quantitative titer for Hep B but documentation for all the rest of my vaccines. My Tdap recently expired so they even emailed me to tell me this and to get it done before a certain date. But yes, most were done as a child. Figure out where you had all your stuff done and try and get a copy of your medical records from that hospital system. (My records began in 1990 and I managed to get all of them!). Annual influenza was also required with documentation as well as a PPD.

Reactions: 1 user
My school wanted all of it. I had titers done for Hep B, MMR, and Varicella. (Not all of these were required, I needed all but Hep B done for something else). My school only required a quantitative titer for Hep B but documentation for all the rest of my vaccines. My Tdap recently expired so they even emailed me to tell me this and to get it done before a certain date. But yes, most were done as a child. Figure out where you had all your stuff done and try and get a copy of your medical records from that hospital system. (My records began in 1990 and I managed to get all of them!). Annual influenza was also required with documentation as well as a PPD.
Thanks for the heads up. But yikes guess I'll have to get on that lol. I hope I'll still be able to find them! My pedetriacian passed a while ago...

Thanks for the heads up. But yikes guess I'll have to get on that lol. I hope I'll still be able to find them! My pedetriacian passed a while ago...

You should be able to contact the pediatrician's office and get your shot records. If you can't get them, titers will probably suffice. You should contact your school about that prior to getting the titers.

In general, you will find very little leniency from schools, residency programs, or hospitals and clinics you work at as a practicing physician. They will require whatever they say they require.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I believe you. Once I track those suckers down- copies upon copies will be made lol. I definitely recall having to have these upon undergrad matriculation- just completely forgot as that matriculation was almost ten years ago! lol

I believe you. Once I track those suckers down- copies upon copies will be made lol. I definitely recall having to have these upon undergrad matriculation- just completely forgot as that matriculation was almost ten years ago! lol

Yeah, it can be a real pain in the butt. And you'll have to present various copies of vaccinations and TB tests multiple times throughout your med school and residency experience. They will keep you from moving on to the next year or getting your credentials if you don't keep up to date. I'm sure it has something to do with insurance and/or liability of the hospitals.

Advice I always give is to start scanning or taking good photos on your phone of all health records, vaccination and lab records, degrees, diplomas, board certification documents, malpractice carrier certificates, and background check results. You will need some combination of these things many times throughout your medical career until you finally retire.

Check with the individual school. You may be able to go to a primary care provider and have them create a new, cleaned up vaccination record if you have some recollection or records of the old dates.

It is definitely good that you are starting to think of these things early. There were a couple potholes on my road to getting all my required paperwork and documentation for matriculation. Starting early is really important.

Now that all my ducks were in a row, I have literally copies of my vaccinations everywhere, including the digital world. I am NEVER going to spend time like I did pre-matriculation hunting down records again haha. Best of luck to everyone. Start early with these if you can.