1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

AAMC Verbal tests

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by cwfergus, May 12, 2008.

1. cwfergus

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hey,

So i have been practicing verbal for a bit and realized that indeed im not too good, on EKs i range around 9 or so but then i started doing AAMC's and ive gotten the han gof them, i like the passages alot better.

If i do good on AAMC but alright on the EKs is that something to be worried about? or will the MCAT be more like AAMC practice tests?

thanks alot

2. tncekm

tncekm MS-1
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Should be most like AAMC considering the AAMC administers the MCAT :)

I fluctuate pretty wildly w/ EK, so I feel you. I don't know if its b/c I put in less heart, if its b/c its on paper, or what, but I really get slammed w/ the EK stuff sometimes. On the passages I'll go from getting quite a few 100%s to getting like 10-25%... its ridiculous.

But yeah, anyway, I feel you on EK.

My scores have been 9,7,9,11,8,10,7 <-- makes no sense. And the times I got low scores on the more recent tests (i.e. the most recent 8 and 7) it was b/c I was getting either 80+% or 30% on tests, huge variation.

I'm trying to convince myself they were just random crap-ups. The most recent 8 was on a test where I did really well on the first half (averaged 11) then on the second half I did very poorly (averaged a 6)--the second half of the test I completed in about 8 minutes less than I should have (timed myself wrong). So, I thought it was anomalous. Got a 10 the next time around and was thinking, yeah, it must have been an anomaly. Then I get the 7--but, when I was doing my passages today it was just after two of my pets died (one my favorite ever) and I was all sprung from an energy drink. Whether or not these are legit excuses, I don't know. I do know that my practice test verbal hasn't fluctuated as wildly though... whatever, its frustrating.

3. kronickm

kronickm even par.
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The AAMC exams are a much more accurate example of what the questions will be like on the actual MCAT, in BS, PS and Verbal. I found that with Kaplan, Berkley, and any other prep company, the questions asked were almost on different level than AAMC and the real thing.

4. cwfergus

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sweet guys thanks!

So all in all, how many hours should i spend STUDYING compared to PRACTICING?

5. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Kaplan's VR seemed sooooo ridiculously easy compared to AAMC and EK...... i couldnt believe it when I was reading them. i only missed like 4 questions as opposed to EK and AAMC i miss between 10-15.