AAMC Verbal tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cwfergus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey,

So i have been practicing verbal for a bit and realized that indeed im not too good, on EKs i range around 9 or so but then i started doing AAMC's and ive gotten the han gof them, i like the passages alot better.

If i do good on AAMC but alright on the EKs is that something to be worried about? or will the MCAT be more like AAMC practice tests?

thanks alot

Members don't see this ad.

Should be most like AAMC considering the AAMC administers the MCAT :)

I fluctuate pretty wildly w/ EK, so I feel you. I don't know if its b/c I put in less heart, if its b/c its on paper, or what, but I really get slammed w/ the EK stuff sometimes. On the passages I'll go from getting quite a few 100%s to getting like 10-25%... its ridiculous.

But yeah, anyway, I feel you on EK.

My scores have been 9,7,9,11,8,10,7 <-- makes no sense. And the times I got low scores on the more recent tests (i.e. the most recent 8 and 7) it was b/c I was getting either 80+% or 30% on tests, huge variation.

I'm trying to convince myself they were just random crap-ups. The most recent 8 was on a test where I did really well on the first half (averaged 11) then on the second half I did very poorly (averaged a 6)--the second half of the test I completed in about 8 minutes less than I should have (timed myself wrong). So, I thought it was anomalous. Got a 10 the next time around and was thinking, yeah, it must have been an anomaly. Then I get the 7--but, when I was doing my passages today it was just after two of my pets died (one my favorite ever) and I was all sprung from an energy drink. Whether or not these are legit excuses, I don't know. I do know that my practice test verbal hasn't fluctuated as wildly though... whatever, its frustrating.

The AAMC exams are a much more accurate example of what the questions will be like on the actual MCAT, in BS, PS and Verbal. I found that with Kaplan, Berkley, and any other prep company, the questions asked were almost on different level than AAMC and the real thing.

Sweet guys thanks!

So all in all, how many hours should i spend STUDYING compared to PRACTICING?

The AAMC exams are a much more accurate example of what the questions will be like on the actual MCAT, in BS, PS and Verbal. I found that with Kaplan, Berkley, and any other prep company, the questions asked were almost on different level than AAMC and the real thing.

Kaplan's VR seemed sooooo ridiculously easy compared to AAMC and EK...... i couldnt believe it when I was reading them. i only missed like 4 questions as opposed to EK and AAMC i miss between 10-15.