AAMC verified GPA concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

M1i

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How lethal is the following GPA for MD applications..?

(MCAT: 515)

sGPA: 3.4
Overall GPA: 3.25
F: 1.43
S: 0.53
J: 3.95
S: 4.0

Non-trad with the freshman and sophmore GPAs before a long break. Post break received almost all A's (single B in spanish 2)
Also took difficult upper level science courses with all A's

I ask because the MSAR data doesn't look optimistic with GPA's this low...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

JK,
Your overall gpa and mcat are competitive but you will definitely have a lot of explaining to do about your first two years. Your best option might be to do a postbacc.

Reactions: 1 users

JK,
Your overall gpa and mcat are competitive but you will definitely have a lot of explaining to do about your first two years. Your best option might be to do a postbacc.

Haha I'm glad my .053 GPA finally gave you a chance to use that video.

I dont mind explaining, I was expecting too! As for the post bacc, I hope not, as im already pretty committed to this cycle.

But thanks for the reply!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

JK,

Not sure if you or anyone else might know. But if I receive secondaries, does that mean the school is willing to accept me despite (depending on my app, secondaries and interview of course). Or are they just automatically generated and there's no real indication by receiving a secondary?

Not sure if you or anyone else might know. But if I receive secondaries, does that mean the school is willing to accept me despite (depending on my app, secondaries and interview of course). Or are they just automatically generated and there's no real indication by receiving a secondary?

Depends on the school. Vast majority send to everyone.

Reactions: 2 users

Non-trad with the freshman and sophmore GPAs before a long break. Post break received almost all A's (single B in spanish 2)

thanks!
Maybe this is a stupid question, but how does this come close to a 3.25? It looks closer to a 2.5 to me, assuming classes are evenly distributed over the 4 years. If they are not evenly distributed, how can you have enough credits to graduate after 4 years?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how does this come close to a 3.25? It looks closer to a 2.5 to me, assuming classes are evenly distributed over the 4 years. If they are not evenly distributed, how can you have enough credits to graduate after 4 years?
may be dropped few in sophomore year and did more classes in remaining two years including summer?

thanks!
No DO apps?

I agree with @KnightDoc! Since you’ve applied are these your AMCAS GPAs? Can you share your AMCAS grid with us? Did you include every grade for every course you enrolled in and received a grade during your time at CC, UNI, College or dual enrollment from HS? There is no grade replacement.
Most schools don’t screen before sending out secondaries. They send them to everyone. Where did you apply? Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? How did you pick your list? Some schools do reward reinvention but not all do. Did you apply to DO Schools? You really need to! It’s not too late but do it soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

lol no stupid questions, I suppose I understand your skepticism. But the information is correct, copied right from the "print application" document from AAMC.

I have no reason to lie, trying to obtain an honest gauge. Doesn't do me any good to lie.

I agree with @KnightDoc! Since you’ve applied are these your AMCAS GPAs? Can you share your AMCAS grid with us? Did you include every grade for every course you enrolled in and received a grade during your time at CC, UNI, College or dual enrollment from HS? There is no grade replacement.
Most schools don’t screen before sending out secondaries. They send them to everyone. Where did you apply? Did you use the MSAR to develop your list? How did you pick your list? Some schools do reward reinvention but not all do. Did you apply to DO Schools? You really need to! It’s not too late but do it soon!

Lol you asked a lot.

I assume this is what youre refering to for ACMCAS grid
1600537122795.png

Lol you asked a lot.

I assume this is what youre refering to for ACMCAS grid
View attachment 318607

Jesus christ what explains the credit hour jump from junior to senior year?

This post is probably better for @Goro 's thread on reinventors because comparing your GPA to the MSAR data isn't going to be quite accurate

Reactions: 3 users
lol no stupid questions, I suppose I understand your skepticism. But the information is correct, copied right from the "print application" document from AAMC.

I have no reason to lie, trying to obtain an honest gauge. Doesn't do me any good to lie.
95 hours senior year explains it! :cool:

That's a tremendous improvement. I don't think your GPA is lethal at all, given the sustained level of improvement. In fact, I think many programs would look at you as closer to 4.0 than 3.4, given 116 hours at 3.95+ after a significant break after 1.0!! Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

If a school were to take the time to look at my transcript, they would see a dramatic upward trend. First two years out of high school received all the bad grades. Took a 5 year break, and since my return, straight A's except for a B in Spanish 2.

Furthermore have taken challenging upper level course work with all A's (med biochem, molec 1&2, A&P, advnaced physio, immuno, cancer bio, etc....)

Just dont know how much time and effort schools will put into looking over my transcript when they have a thousand others to sort through.

This post is probably better for @Goro 's thread on reinventors because comparing your GPA to the MSAR data isn't going to be quite accurate
What explains it is several years between junior year and graduation.

haha, no need to tag poor Goro on this, I have bugged him more than enough on this subject.

• Love
  • Haha
If a school were to take the time to look at my transcript, they would see a dramatic upward trend. First two years out of high school received all the bad grades. Took a 5 year break, and since my return, straight A's except for a B in Spanish 2.

Furthermore have taken challenging upper level course work with all A's (med biochem, molec 1&2, A&P, advnaced physio, immuno, cancer bio, etc....)

Just dont know how much time and effort schools will put into looking over my transcript when they have a thousand others to sort through.
They will see the grid, and see the improvement. You will be fine due to the incredible improvement. Your GPA is high enough to pass any automated screen. When they see 116 credits at basically 4.0, there will be interest in your story.

They will see the grid, and see the improvement. You will be fine due to the incredible improvement.

Well, this is comforting. But is there still reason for me to be concerned as far as a school's GPA stats are concerned?

I mean if a school accepts me, regardless of my improvement, won't my AAMC cGPA still skew their GPA stats.

Is this a logical concern?

That’s going to be the issue. How many semesters did it take you to get your 95 hours? My hope is that you applied to schools that reward reinvention! If a school just uses numbers for auto review you might be auto screened at some places! I really hope someone actually reviews your application seriously. Good luck and please let us know how things turn out!

That’s going to be the issue. How many semesters did it take you to get your 95 hours? My hope is that you applied to schools that reward reinvention! If a school just uses numbers for auto review you might be auto screened at some places! I really hope someone actually reviews your application seriously. Good luck and please let us know how things turn out!

I'm not sure how they calculated it. But when I returned to school, I finished my degree (including all my retakes) in about 4 years, going fall, spring and summer all 4 years. So in a reasonable amount of time. Took a full course load every semester as well.

But thanks for your input! Will be sure to update as the cycle plays out!

by the way this is my school list (florida resident)

Made the school list after i got my MCAT score back (515), but before my app was verified

1600538152892.png

Well, this is comforting. But is there still reason for me to be concerned as far as a school's GPA stats are concerned?

I mean if a school accepts me, regardless of my improvement, won't my AAMC cGPA still skew their GPA stats.

Is this a logical concern?
Nope. Look at MSAR. Stats are expressed as medians, not averages. I have no way to know what your entire application looks like, or where you might be competitive, but take a look at a school like Albany. Median cGPA is 3.70, sGPA is 3.61., But, their 25%ile is 3.58 and 3.44, and 10%ile is 3.41 and 3.30.

Having you in a class like that wouldn't move the needle on their reported stats at all, and that would be true at many schools, because even 10%ile means 10% are below that number, but nobody reports how far below!!! :cool:

by the way this is my school list (florida resident)

Made the school list after i got my MCAT score back (515), but before my app was verified

View attachment 318611
I think you'll see interest from some of those schools, depending, of course, on the rest of your app.

Nope. Look at MSAR. Stats are expressed as medians, not averages. I have no way to know what your entire application looks like, or where you might be competitive, but take a look at a school like Albany. Median cGPA is 3.70, sGPA is 3.61., But, their 25%ile is 3.58 and 3.44, and 10%ile is 3.41 and 3.30.

Having you in a class like that wouldn't move the needle on their reported stats at all, and that would be true at many schools, because even 10%ile means 10% are below that number, but nobody reports how far below!!! :cool:

Lol maybe I dont deserve to apply to med school when I mistook a median for an average.

Nonetheless, very comforting! So thank you kindly!

• Haha
Thank you all for the input, will reply at the end of the cycle with my outcome!

But anyone else that reads and has had a similar experience, would appreciate to hear your outcomes!

Thanks!