AAMC vs. TPR practice tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeetKuneDo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are the AAMC tests compared to TPR's CBT's? I've heard some say they're easier and others say they're harder. Any thoughts?

Edit: I'm sorry, wrong forum. Please move to MCAT forum please.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks dapmp.

Back to the original topic, any opinions of TPR CBT's vs. AAMC on level of difficulty?

I've read too many mixed opinions on TPR for there to be a general consensus. The opinions are split between difficultly, but also how accurate they are compared to the real deal. Normally I'd tell you that the middle ground is probably the right choice, but the opinions are so extreme that I don't think that's the case. Regardless, if you're lacking practice tests, take them. However, don't use them as your primary gauge of readiness.

For me, taking practice tests was a matter of what was closest to the real test rather than what was more difficult. I don't have much experience with TPR, but I did use a lot of the AAMC practice tests. They were a fairly accurate gauge of what to expect come exam day. Their difficulty level was similar, I felt, to the real thing. That was really nice because I could better gauge the amount of time I normally took on a passage.

That being said, remember that difficulty is relative. Your final MCAT score is scaled. On really hard exams, you could miss more and get a higher score. I'd rather take the more realistic (somewhat easier) practice exams and learn not to make particular key mistakes, which are more costly in terms of your final score.

I have the same question as the OP actually. I'm in the TPR class and have taken 2 practice tests but their TPR's practice tests. I have yet to take the AAMC practice test. I think TPR's practice tests are a little harder and they give you a lower score because you have to remember when you take the real MCAT it will be curved. But then again nothing can substitute with you actually taking the real AAMC practice test to gauge how well your doing.

Thanks for the responses. I originally asked the question because my score increased dramatically when I took the AAMC practice tests as opposed to TPR's practice tests. The TPR's practice tests are probably harder than AAMC's. I'll probably just gauge my progress on the AAMC tests since it's more similar to the real thing.

I have the same question as the OP actually. I'm in the TPR class and have taken 2 practice tests but their TPR's practice tests. I have yet to take the AAMC practice test. I think TPR's practice tests are a little harder and they give you a lower score because you have to remember when you take the real MCAT it will be curved. But then again nothing can substitute with you actually taking the real AAMC practice test to gauge how well your doing.

MCAT isn't curved.

Thanks for the responses. I originally asked the question because my score increased dramatically when I took the AAMC practice tests as opposed to TPR's practice tests. The TPR's practice tests are probably harder than AAMC's. I'll probably just gauge my progress on the AAMC tests since it's more similar to the real thing.

I think that's reasonable when going from the review companies to AAMC. I haven't done a TPR FL but it seems people say Kaplan and TPR are more difficult [though Kaplan's scale is far too lenient, it makes it impossible to get a "bad" PS score even when you bomb it], while the AAMC's being 'easier' have a much more strict scale. AAMC is definitely still the "closest" to the real thing I feel, though their BS is a bit too rewarding for external knowledge while at least my April MCAT was very very very critically passage based.

TPR 1-6 : ranged between 23 - 30
AAMC 4- 7 : ranged between 33 - 36

I felt the passages were similar, but TPR questions are a little harder.

can i buy TPR practice tests without signing up for the course?
Buy their books and you get access to online content. I don't think you can buy the exams themselves though (TPR Elite has either 2 or 3 tests and a bunch of practice passages online and it's like 40 bucks)

Is there a consensus on TPR vs AAMC? My practice passage scores in the content review book were +70% correct. In my AAMC Guide to the MCAT exam book I'm only scoring about 40%. With that in mind, it shows how many people got each question right and most of the questions say only about 55% got the question right. That said...wouldn't that mean virtually everyone is failing the test? (although I'm sure my logic is off and I can't think of how at the moment)