AAMC11: structure question of NO

Started by pfaction
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pfaction

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So...I understand N is 5 and O is 6, for total of 11, but is it allowed to exist as a radical portrayed by the answer choice? I was like...O is more electronegative, yeah, but how is a radical possible?
 
So...I understand N is 5 and O is 6, for total of 11, but is it allowed to exist as a radical portrayed by the answer choice? I was like...O is more electronegative, yeah, but how is a radical possible?

What other choice is there besides a radical? Oxygen only forms two bonds and nitrogen has an odd valence.
 
6590m1.png


Ok, I get the number of electrons part, but how does N NOT violate the octet rule when it clearly does? Ugh, I'm a chem tutor and I don't remember encountering a radical lewis structure like this one too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, I get the number of electrons part, but how does N NOT violate the octet rule when it clearly does? Ugh, I'm a chem tutor and I don't remember encountering a radical lewis structure like this one too.


BINGO! I chose the same answer you did too.