AAPA: Full Practice Authority for PAs in the VA

Started by NYCGuy86
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NYCGuy86

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Saw this elsewhere, perhaps some here will be interested:

https://www.aapa.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=6442451423

I think it makes sense that if NPs are granted full practice authority, PAs should as well. Now, from what I understand, the proposal for NPs is that they would not require a supervising or collaborating physician to practice (correct me if I'm wrong), as is the case in 20+ states. So, if this is extended to PAs, that would mean they too do not require a supervising/collaborating physician in the VA? Would this be a first in the country?
 
Saw this elsewhere, perhaps some here will be interested:

https://www.aapa.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=6442451423

I think it makes sense that if NPs are granted full practice authority, PAs should as well. Now, from what I understand, the proposal for NPs is that they would not require a supervising or collaborating physician to practice (correct me if I'm wrong), as is the case in 20+ states. So, if this is extended to PAs, that would mean they too do not require a supervising/collaborating physician in the VA? Would this be a first in the country?
Problem is, PAs are supervised by state medical boards and they aren't likely to look favorably on this notion.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Saw this elsewhere, perhaps some here will be interested:

https://www.aapa.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=6442451423

I think it makes sense that if NPs are granted full practice authority, PAs should as well. Now, from what I understand, the proposal for NPs is that they would not require a supervising or collaborating physician to practice (correct me if I'm wrong), as is the case in 20+ states. So, if this is extended to PAs, that would mean they too do not require a supervising/collaborating physician in the VA? Would this be a first in the country?

This just seems like a bad deal for the vets that are being cared for by MLP. There needs to be some type of oversight to help prevent patient errors/harm.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
 
I'm not sure you have to have a state license to work for the VA as a PA.

Right that's exactly what I'm wondering. So, if that's the case, then it could be very possible that PAs in the VA, along with the APRNs, would not need a supervising/collaborative physician to practice. I'm guessing this would be a first for PAs?

Seems as if now, both organized nursing and organized PA are advocating for independence/full autonomy, at least in the VA for PAs for now.
 
I think the PA-C does that for the VA, but not sure. Some fed jobs do require A state license, but not sure if all of them do.

Re: the new and growing PA push for independent practice....this is a result of our primary competitor (NPs) successfully getting it. I had hoped that the AMA and other physician groups would have pushed back against NP independence by declaring what it means to be practicing MEDICINE to delineate it from "advanced nursing", but it didn't happen.
 
So if NP's in the VA are practicing "advanced nursing..." What are the PA's practicing? Independent physician assisting?

Only in America.
 
Saw this elsewhere, perhaps some here will be interested:

https://www.aapa.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=6442451423

I think it makes sense that if NPs are granted full practice authority, PAs should as well. Now, from what I understand, the proposal for NPs is that they would not require a supervising or collaborating physician to practice (correct me if I'm wrong), as is the case in 20+ states. So, if this is extended to PAs, that would mean they too do not require a supervising/collaborating physician in the VA? Would this be a first in the country?

A lot of the states that have "independent" NP's still require a collaboration agreement of some kind.
 
I personally think it's inexcusable for PA's to want to practice without supervision.

They should go the medical school and take step 3 which is essentially how to diagnose disease with some epidemiology and biostats sprinkled in.

Unless there's a RCT with a full patient panel without a single limitation noted I will find PA push for independent practice just as scary as NP push.
 
Then that really isn't independent if a written collaborative agreement is still required.

"Alls" I know is that sometimes that's the case. The distinction might come from a collaboration plan in question not being a supervisory agreement, but can take the form of simply being a plan on how to refer out consults for cases outside of the NPs scope. It's safe to say that's different (and more empowering) than operating under the scope of a supervising physician. I'm not sure the intricacies of each state. Mine is fully independent... No agreement necessary, whether supervisory or collaborative.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad