AAPIC Application (AAPI) Disclosing a Sealed Record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AppQ_

Reaction score
Hi there everyone. I'm applying to Clinical Psychology internships this fall (for the 2023-24 year) using AAPI and I'm unsure about disclosing a sealed record from 2012 when I was 18. I received a Minor in Possession of alcohol ticket, which is a misdemeanor without arrest, but it was sealed by the court after I completed their requirements shortly after. I haven't reported it on any employment, graduate school, or practicum applications/paperwork this far without consequence and, as far as I know, it doesn't (and never has) show up on Level 2 background checks. Does anyone know if this would still be necessary to report on the application when it asks for "any criminal offenses that aren't minor traffic tickets?" I know it technically falls under this category, but when it was sealed the judge told us that this charge basically no longer existed except it would be visible only to justice departments (in the case of another ticket) and on more extensive/exclusive background checks, like those done by national security agencies or other high-ranking government positions. Thank you for your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there everyone. I'm applying to Clinical Psychology internships this fall (for the 2023-24 year) using AAPI and I'm unsure about disclosing a sealed record from 2012 when I was 18. I received a Minor in Possession of alcohol ticket, which is a misdemeanor without arrest, but it was sealed by the court after I completed their requirements shortly after. I haven't reported it on any employment, graduate school, or practicum applications/paperwork this far without consequence and, as far as I know, it doesn't (and never has) show up on Level 2 background checks. Does anyone know if this would still be necessary to report on the application when it asks for "any criminal offenses that aren't minor traffic tickets?" I know it technically falls under this category, but when it was sealed the judge told us that this charge basically no longer existed except it would be visible only to justice departments (in the case of another ticket) and on more extensive/exclusive background checks, like those done by national security agencies or other high-ranking government positions. Thank you for your help in advance.
I would recommend disclosing it just because it fits the definition of the question they are asking and I like to be as honest as possible. Any site that would find something that ridiculously minor problematic would probably not be a site I would want to work at. On the other hand, if you consult an attorney, then you could follow their direction and that would be good too. When I did consult with an attorney on something a little less minor, they helped me with the language and encouraged me to err on the side of honesty as well.

Reactions: 1 users
A minor in possession at the age of 18, assuming no other legal troubles, is something that I can't imagine any admissions committee giving any consideration to whatsoever. Whether you list it or not, won't make a difference as long as the rest of your application is good. Heck, even getting a DUI while in grad school isn't enough to sink an app.

Reactions: 1 user
You could/should certainly confer with a lawyer depending on the wording of the question, but I would agree with the above that disclosure may be best. In this case, given the charge and the length of time since it occurred, to me, it seems like a relatively low risk/high "reward" scenario.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MIP at 18 is probably going to get written off as dumb college kid BS, assuming you've kept your nose clean since. Especially since it's been a decade since you got busted for doing what a lot of college kids do.

If I was in your shoes I would disclose it. I doubt it would cause issues. Non-disclosure then someone finding out could cause way more problems. Also, I would be shocked if this caused a committee to rank you differently.

If an internship makes an issue out of this, then you have dodged a bullet as it is a place you don't want to work anyway.

I appreciate all the replies. I reviewed all the paperwork from that time and had forgotten that it was a deferred judgment. So, since I completed everything the court required, the charges were dropped and there was never a conviction. The only thing that was sealed was the history of the charges; therefore, there was never anything to admit to. For anyone else who might be in the same shoes, check to see if this might have been the case too. Thanks again for the advice everyone!

A charge like that at 18 is no biggie. Unless you’ve had other substance related charges that is. If not, you’re fine. And even though it was sealed they will still see it. It always always always comes up no matter how hard you try or how much money you pay an attorney to get it hidden. A few colleagues of mine made this mistake and it almost cost them their internship.

Just making a note here about seeking legal advice: there are low-cost or even pro bono options for you, especially at graduate students' income levels. If your university has an affiliated law school, check there for legal clinics that serve students; these are often free. Failing that, local legal aid organizations can provide advice or representation at low or no cost. It might be worth consulting these options anyway just for peace of mind.