AASAS Disadvantaged Status Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noj mov

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have experience with the aadsas application process, what makes someone qualify for the disadvantaged status?

Members don't see this ad.

First off, check out the general instructions on that section:

http://www.adea.org/dental_educatio...ralInstructions/Pages/DisadvantageStatus.aspx

Pulled this from a powerpoint some Ohio predental club made:

Examples…Underserved areas, Federal Loan Repayment Options, Medical or Family Situations

Completing this section is optional. Many dental schools appreciate the fact that some applicants have overcome obstacles on the path to their goals. You are welcome to provide any information and describe any background experiences that may have put you at an educational, social, or economic disadvantage as you prepare to apply to dental schools.” -ADEA website

Tinman writes:
If you believe you are disadvantaged as far as finances are concerned, put it down. You have a chance to explain yourself when you apply for school loans or government loans. They have the final say as to who is considered disadvantaged or not.

It's all very subjective, if you think you were disadvantaged, then fill out the following questions in that section. It's really not going to make a difference one way or another unless they actually decide you were disadvantaged.

Here's another thread "discussing":

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=734860

Sorry to hijack this thread, I didn't want to make a new one. But when I put "No" for this question and click save, it says that there are data missing from the form (childhood residence and education funding sources). Am I supposed to fill out those fields even if I said "no" to the first question? So confused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you are still suppose to fill out those sections regardless of your disadvantage status.

Yes, you are still suppose to fill out those sections regardless of your disadvantage status.

Thank you! I guess the " If yes, please answer the following questions" only referred to that first section