ABA Exam question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teep

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all
I'm one of the lucky people who has to take the ABA inservice during week 1 of PGY1. My questions are as follows.
1. Do you have a syllabus/study guide for baby Miller from your program?
2. Do you have any questions to practice?

Acceptable answers are: "yes, and I sent you an e-mail with the material you requested."
Unacceptable answers are: anything other than above stated reply. I could really care less about your opinion on my request, or whether I'm some sort of gunner.

I realize that I'm better off not studying for the exam, but I want to set the bar high for myself, so that I have some motivation on future exams. If I decide to do a fellowship, I want to make sure I leave that option open.
Thanks troops
btw
Shot out to all the seniors on here who help out so much

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I am in the same boat. SO far I don´t have any idea except to read the baby miller, what I don´t understand...what is so baby about it :D

Great info as always UT. Thanks for the help.

Very helpful stuff, and right on the money in terms of what I was looking for.
Thanks UT. If any other residents/fresh attendings have anything, feel free to post it.
Thanks
Later

Hey
So mods, would you deem this thread worthy of achieving sticky status? You could meld the two clinical links, and start a new one called "ABA exam resources."

The ABA has several retired exams that are available. Copies are floating around out there. I'm not sure if you call the ABA they'll send you one.

The most recently retired exam, 1993, is available in a review book by Chu. "Clinical Anesthesiology: Board Review". The authors wrote the answers - the ABA didn't give them answers. Some of the questions are out of date being 15y old but most are applicable today and may give you a good sense of what the questions will be like. Including K-Type, which aren't used on USMLE any longer.

This wthington website is gone. Can anyone tell me of any other site which has written exam questions.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Etherprep does-costs money-I used it and didn't think it really helped me too much (ie would not purchase it again...)-Passed the writtens by the way (334 with 250 being the average)

I realize that I'm better off not studying for the exam, but I want to set the bar high for myself, so that I have some motivation on future exams. If I decide to do a fellowship, I want to make sure I leave that option open.
Thanks troops
btw
Shot out to all the seniors on here who help out so much[/QUOTE]
I believe that you should start studying for the ABA exam from day one. Purchase Morgan and Mikhail and read the first 16 or so chapters.

Cambie

Last edited:
Etherprep does-costs money-I used it and didn't think it really helped me too much (ie would not purchase it again...)-Passed the writtens by the way (334 with 250 being the average)

Ditto

I used it, and although some q's were right on, it was generally a bit off and not too user friendly. In fact, it wouldn't let me clear my history, and some exams would say complete after I hit the start button. Compound this with the fact that I got negative scores, and eval readouts on those q's, and could not contact any support staff despite multiple attempts makes me think that I Prolly'd avoid buying the "solution" :rolleyes:to the boards again.

I am also interested in any new links anyone may add. One of the old was was removed:mad:

The most recently retired exam, 1993, is available in a review book by Chu. "Clinical Anesthesiology: Board Review". The authors wrote the answers - the ABA didn't give them answers. Some of the questions are out of date being 15y old but most are applicable today and may give you a good sense of what the questions will be like. Including K-Type, which aren't used on USMLE any longer.

I thought Chu was helpful. Some questions are probably outdated (I don't remember seeing any Halothane or Enflurane on part one) And my copy is the cheapest one for sale right now on Half.com!

The pulmonary questions in Chu were good. I think that the questions in Medtext were very similar in level of difficulty to the actual ABA exam. My score on the actual exam was similar to what I received on the Medtext test.
I saved the Medtext questions for last.

Cambie

Last edited:
I disagree about specifically studying for exam from day one. I think that if you take the time to go through at least one of the major texts and keep current on the literature during residency you will be more than prepared for the exam by the end. Then you can "study" for the exam with some review material/questions. If you just read something like Big Blue only you may pass the exam, but will have a lot of gaps in your knowledge.

The pulmonary questions in Chu were good. I think that the questions in Medtext were very similar in level of difficulty to the actual ABA exam. My score on the actual exam was similar to what I received on the Medtext test.
I saved the Medtext questions for last.

Cambie

Did you just use the most recent year that was available? They are kinda pricey. 189$ for only 250 questions.

Did you just use the most recent year that was available? They are kinda pricey. 189$ for only 250 questions.

I used the 2007 questions. The price is steep but it was worth it for me.

Cambie

Last edited:
I thought Chu was helpful. Some questions are probably outdated (I don't remember seeing any Halothane or Enflurane on part one) And my copy is the cheapest one for sale right now on Half.com!

Chu is the 1993 ABA in-training exam. There were several questions on this year's ITE that were taken verbatim from the 94 & 95 exams so I think those old exams are useful. The outdated parts are obvious, but some things never change and are as relevant today as they were then.

How can I get a hold of these old ITE Exams ?

This site is gone. Anyone knows why?
How can I get the 2007 questions? Anyone here ready to sell them?

it's worth checking out Keywords for the Boards by Modak, et al. it's new on Amazon.

but hands down, i'd do lange over baby miller for board prep. the key points at each chapter's start show up again and again on these ites. very very high yield.

it's worth checking out Keywords for the Boards by Modak, et al. it's new on Amazon.

but hands down, i'd do lange over baby miller for board prep. the key points at each chapter's start show up again and again on these ites. very very high yield.

Cambie

Last edited:
Hello
I need ABA Exam questions 1997-.....
please help me
thanks

Hello
I need ABA Exam questions 1997-.....
please help me
thanks

Released exams are here but 1997+ haven't been published.

They released the 1996 exam shortly after the 2008 in-training exam. I don't know why they've gone a couple years without releasing another.

what would anesthesia programs consider a good ITE percentile for a pgy1?

The percentiles are divided by PGY year. It's much better to be better than 75% of residents at your level than it is to be worse than 75% at your level. The 25%ile is still on track to pass but probably too close to failing for comfort.