ABA Written Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veetz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone taking the exam this week, good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! Took it this morning. Now the long wait for the results.
It's great not to have to study board stuff now. It was getting really old.

Members don't see this ad :)
how will i find out i failed? Mail or online?

when can i register for next year? I bombed that sucker

how will i find out i failed? Mail or online?

when can i register for next year? I bombed that sucker

You better register fast. Prices have already escalated once. I just got my confirmation to sit for the exam Aug 1 & 2 of 2011.

j/k. about you failing that is. Prices really have gone up, and I really did just get my confirmation. Looks like they couldn't wait a week to welcome the new group of open wallets.

haha
well i hope i passed but i doubt it. once they asked about the cochrane database i knew it was over. that is the only ? i remember and i was done

Members don't see this ad :)
Man you guys should really be careful posting specific questions as people have gotten in trouble before. Id edit that stuff out if i were you.

That said, I thought the beginning 25 questions were by far the worst, and I flew through the second half. At least 12 questions were pulled verbatim from ACE 2009 also.

Man you guys should really be careful posting specific questions as people have gotten in trouble before. Id edit that stuff out if i were you.

That said, I thought the beginning 25 questions were by far the worst, and I flew through the second half. At least 12 questions were pulled verbatim from ACE 2009 also.

I felt the first half was much easier and finished with >30 min to spare. I flagged several more questions on the second half. Just glad it's over.

What do think was the best study material?

Jensens, faust, M and M, etc?

Thanks

What he said. This is no joke.

Board questions are protected material. You would never want to be accused of compromising the integrity of ABAs' exam. It is not worth the trouble. Stop posting test questions. Greater than 85% of you will pass the exam. You have to hit the 30th percentile to pass. The year that I took the exam that was a 209 with the mean being 250.

Big Miller has a nice statistics chapter. Statistics questions can represent low hanging fruit.

You guys and girls should start thinking about the oral exam. Start getting your ducks lined up. Figure out what review courses you want to take and what material you want to review.

Cambie

Last edited:
Dear Doctor:
Thank you for participating in the ABA’s 2010 Part 1 examination system. We certainly understand your anticipation regarding your examination results and would like to provide you with the following information:
You will receive an email from the ABA no later than October 16, 2010 letting you know that you may view a PASS or FAIL result online through your ABA Online Portal Account. Your complete Part 1 examination results will be mailed no later than October 23, 2010.

Dear Doctor:
Thank you for participating in the ABA’s 2010 Part 1 examination system. We certainly understand your anticipation regarding your examination results and would like to provide you with the following information:
You will receive an email from the ABA no later than October 16, 2010 letting you know that you may view a PASS or FAIL result online through your ABA Online Portal Account. Your complete Part 1 examination results will be mailed no later than October 23, 2010.

weird I didt get that email!!! hopefully mine comes tommorrow.

BTW....I recommend one book....HALL.

weird I didt get that email!!! hopefully mine comes tommorrow..

maybe they already graded the test and didnt feel it was worth sending you an email ;)

ditto on hall/chantigian, great book

also, 'retired' ACE questions showed up verbatim about 15 times (as they do on the ITE)

My thoughts on the test. I took it the second day.

Hall and ace questions were the basis of my prep the last two months and it was a good strategy.

There was a mix of wtf questions, narrow it down questions, and a surprising number of absolute gimme CA1 questions. It was similar to the ITE.

Orals are next biatches! Anyone know what city they're in next year?

My thoughts on the test. I took it the second day.

Hall and ace questions were the basis of my prep the last two months and it was a good strategy.

There was a mix of wtf questions, narrow it down questions, and a surprising number of absolute gimme CA1 questions. It was similar to the ITE.

Orals are next biatches! Anyone know what city they're in next year?

Atlanta, followed by San Antonio

I believe you are mistaken.

From www.theaba.org:

2011 Exam Year
Exam Exam Dates Location
Part 1 August 1 - 2
Part 2: Spring April 11 - 15 Baltimore, MD
Part 2: Fall September 19 - 23 Salt Lake City, UT

I agree on the love for Hall.

Thought there were a lot of poorly written questions and some left-field stuff as well, much like the ITE.

I agree on the love for Hall.

Thought there were a lot of poorly written questions and some left-field stuff as well, much like the ITE.

I thought the retired ITE questions were better than Hall. Having only answers with no explanations makes them harder to use though.

I thought the retired ITE questions were better than Hall. Having only answers with no explanations makes them harder to use though.

Having good detailed answers to the questions is KEY. I can't imagine how much my study time would've multiplied if I had to look everything up. Plus sometimes the questions can be so weird it's impossible to find what they're lookin for. I want explanations.

weird I didt get that email!!! hopefully mine comes tommorrow.

BTW....I recommend one book....HALL.

I agree with Hall. I went through the entire book and was amazed at how much it helped in answering many of the questions. That was money well spent.

Having good detailed answers to the questions is KEY. I can't imagine how much my study time would've multiplied if I had to look everything up. Plus sometimes the questions can be so weird it's impossible to find what they're lookin for. I want explanations.

Early on, it would be a huge pain to use retired questions because you have to look up so many answers. Later on when you get most right and understand most of the rest of the answers without having to look up explanations, retired questions are a great review. I used them for the last several days before my exam. I was nervous about using them since the tests are so old, but I think it was much more helpful than going through Hall, Big Blue, or Faust again. Those sources are fine, but nobody presents questions exactly like the board except the board itself.

Early on, it would be a huge pain to use retired questions because you have to look up so many answers. Later on when you get most right and understand most of the rest of the answers without having to look up explanations, retired questions are a great review. I used them for the last several days before my exam. I was nervous about using them since the tests are so old, but I think it was much more helpful than going through Hall, Big Blue, or Faust again. Those sources are fine, but nobody presents questions exactly like the board except the board itself.

I spent a large % of my written board study with the old ITEs. When I missed questions, much of the benefit was in looking up why the right answer was right and the wrong ones were wrong.

I thought Hall was great too and went through it multiple times throughout residency, but I found the passive learning from reading someone else's explanation wasn't as good as the active learning required by looking things up. But that's just me, others learn differently.

I agree with above posts. I like Big Blue (i hope the info was accurate). I like Hall and I think Faust is great to read topics quickly. I did old ITEs to get a feel for the way the board asked questions and the topics they liked to cover. Granted, there were some surprises on the actual exam, I think the material was consistent. (I wish I had done that through residency. I may have made my PD more proud)

Anyway. Big Blue, Hall, Faust, at touch of Morgan, old ITEs.

I hope I get a big fat "P".

i guess you guys didnt get the ACE questions from the ASA? They have the actual answers there as well as explanation. No need to hunt.