Abbreviations for UCLA on Personal Statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevin2400

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be fine to write 'UCLA' instead of 'University of California, Los Angeles' on my personal statement? 'UCLA' saves a lot more characters, but is 'UCLA' an acronym that is common enough that people would know what it refers to?

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be fine to write 'UCLA' instead of 'University of California, Los Angeles' on my personal statement? 'UCLA' saves a lot more characters, but is 'UCLA' an acronym that is common enough that people would know what it refers to?

Most proper grammar requires it be written once and the acronym put in parentheses. After that you can use the acronym. if you can fit that, you're good.

UCLA is quite common- you will be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, everyone knows what UCLA is.

But for other UCs, the abbreviation is not commonly known outside California. UCI, SB, D, B, SD, M, R...

Isn't that considered "name dropping"? I took out all that kind of stuff in my personal statement to save characters (I thought it was redundant too) and if they need names to refer to it's in the experiences section.

Isn't that considered "name dropping"? I took out all that kind of stuff in my personal statement to save characters (I thought it was redundant too) and if they need names to refer to it's in the experiences section.

Name dropping is when you name specific things but usually people in order to impress. Saying "When I was playing ball with Michael Jordan, I ...." is name dropping. Stating which school you attended is not.

Anyone else have any other thoughts? It's not just saving character space, but also, writing "my experiences volunteering at a hospital near the University of California at Los Angeles" just sounds so weird to me, cause UCLA is so common colloquially compared to the other universities. But then again, it sounds a lot more proper haha.

Anyone else have any other thoughts? It's not just saving character space, but also, writing "my experiences volunteering at a hospital near the University of California at Los Angeles" just sounds so weird to me, cause UCLA is so common colloquially compared to the other universities. But then again, it sounds a lot more proper haha.

I would just write "a hospital near my campus" or a "hospital in LA", but if you want to be specific, I would just say "near UCLA". It is way too wordy to not use the acronym!!

If UCLA is good enough for the NCAA then it is good enough for me. (I read applications on Saturdays with a college football game on in the background. ;))

If you write out any UC, you leave out the comma, but UCLA is fine

If you write out any UC, you leave out the comma, but UCLA is fine

That's what I had learned as well, and I get criticized for not using the comma, but now I can't find the source that said that. But I still remember reading that the comma was obsolete so I continue to not use it.