ABC vs. XYZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aceofspades

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So school ABC is my state school and is a lot cheaper than XYZ, but XYZ is an IVY! :confused: Since I want to go into ortho will going to ABC reduce my chances of specializing? Would I get higher board scores if I went to XYZ? I also want to be a GP and I heard XYZ students have no clinical training. Is a zillion dollars :scared: too much to pay for the IVY XYZ name? ABC students seemed much happier and the school has nice shiny marble floors. What do you guys think?

- Confused Predent

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a student with 3.8+/22+, I have no doubt that you will be fine at either school since you are smart and hardworking.

But, if you aren't, I think that XYZ school may train you better and its reputation would give you a better chance.

So school ABC is my state school and is a lot cheaper than XYZ, but XYZ is an IVY! :confused: Since I want to go into ortho will going to ABC reduce my chances of specializing? Would I get higher board scores if I went to XYZ? I also want to be a GP and I heard XYZ students have no clinical training. Is a zillion dollars :scared: too much to pay for the IVY XYZ name? ABC students seemed much happier and the school has nice shiny marble floors. What do you guys think?

- Confused Predent
What's the state school and Ivy?

In short, it doesn't matter. Be prepared to get a steaming ivy v. non arguement going :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
ABC students seemed much happier and the school has nice shiny marble floors. What do you guys think?

- Confused Predent

It sounds like you are worried about the costs, so in that case i think you should stick with your state school. If you have been accepted into an ivy school then you shouldnt have any troubles doing well in your state dental school and having the opportunity to specialize. Also if you think youd be happier there it kindof gives you your answer, 4 years would be a long time to be unhappy. Plus your state school has shiny floors, id be sold too... :)

im starting to pick up on the huge amounts of sarcasm now..

Last edited:
You insolent cur! How dare you dream of specializing when you have not even taken a class at a dental school. Don't you know that (some) dental students will look down on you! We can't have you ruin the good and honorable names of predents! And how dare you wanting to spend someone's hard earn money to go to school XYZ! Don't you know XYZ's city turns your white shirt black? When in doubt, ABC is like oatmeal mixed with peanut butter, or something. And XYZ is cereal in a good box.

HAHA am I the only one that sees this as a mockery of the bajillion other threads on SDN :laugh:

I like it

PS if you are serious I am sorry but still I find this funny

HAHA am I the only one that sees this as a mockery of the bajillion other threads on SDN :laugh:

I like it

PS if you are serious I am sorry but still I find this funny

This is awesome. We'll have the "Ivy boot-recruit" chiming in soon with his box of fruity loops.

This is awesome. We'll have the "Ivy boot-recruit" chiming in soon with his box of fruity loops.

just wait for it.... he'll prolly chime in later tonite... haha.

but to the OP, i'd go with state school or school ABC cuz it has shiny, new marble floors AND the students seem happier... plus u said XYZ had no clinical training.... how can u specialize with a lack of clinical training? :confused::confused:

Well jeez guys, I just don't know which one to pick. I researched the two schools, went to the interviews, and spoke with the students and faculty there and I still can't decide. So now I will use the opinions and unverified conflicting statements of random strangers on SDN to help me make a decision that will cost me 4 years of schooling and $600,000 over the next 25 years.

You insolent cur! How dare you dream of specializing when you have not even taken a class at a dental school. Don't you know that (some) dental students will look down on you! We can't have you ruin the good and honorable names of predents! And how dare you wanting to spend someone's hard earn money to go to school XYZ! Don't you know XYZ's city turns your white shirt black? When in doubt, ABC is like oatmeal mixed with peanut butter, or something. And XYZ is cereal in a good box.

Hahahaha :laugh:

I must spend way too much time on SDN because I get all these references.

If im not mistaken you can still specialize even if you go to a state school, that section of dentistry hasn't been overtaken by only ivy leaguers just yet. If I were you, and im not, I'd go to the state school where like you said the people are happier and you have a good shot at finishing in the top tier of your class which will help with trying to get into a specialty school. Remember you are gonna be forced to be pretty close friends with which ever students you pick for the next four years!

No crap, Einstein. You can specialize coming from any school. Google topics like "oral surgery residents" or "orthodontics residents" and you'll see what various programs accept.

Can you forego Harvard to go to UAB and still specialize in ortho? Absolutely. Why? Because at least half the ortho residents at UAB orthodontics are from UAB dental. Look it up. It's available online. Same way with San Antonio, West Virginia, and every single school available. In cereal lingo, cereals in a bag like to hang out with other cereals in a bag. Boxed cereal like to hang out with other boxed cereal. It's the natural flow of things. Just don't go to UKentucky dental and expect to UCLA orthodontics. It rarely happens.

You can go to CU, Harvard, Penn, LA, SF and end up at ortho/OMFS residency at Louisville, UK, UMD, Buffalo, etc. It's just more rare to go in the reverse direction. It happens occasionally, but it's rare.

Well jeez guys, I just don't know which one to pick. I researched the two schools, went to the interviews, and spoke with the students and faculty there and I still can't decide. So now I will use the opinions and unverified conflicting statements of random strangers on SDN to help me make a decision that will cost me 4 years of schooling and $600,000 over the next 25 years.

Oh so much of this went over people's heads?! People need to come back to Earth from pre-dentville. Funny post Ace!

Did any of the students from ABC tell you to avoid going there because you'll be miserable and you STILL can't decide? Because that would fit right in ;-) :laugh:

Oh so much of this went over people's heads?! People need to come back to Earth from pre-dentville. Funny post Ace!

Did any of the students from ABC tell you to avoid going there because you'll be miserable and you STILL can't decide? Because that would fit right in ;-) :laugh:

No one thought this was real. It's more than obvious this was a parody. There's only a handful of people who turn down the top schools, and very few turn down Harvard. If you can get into Harvard, you have the mind to decide on your own whether to go. Most thread dealing with choosing Harvard aren't real. Most pretend they got in and are in a bind where they "want" to go. The real scenario is they never had the choice to go to Harvard.

Most "specialization" threads and ivy-bashing deal more with people who struggled to get into dental school not wanting to feel like they're not as good. They still have the hopes that their wildest dreams can still come true.

"ABC... 123..." - Jackson 5

But I wouldn't necessarily take Michael Jackson's advice... you decide.

dear OP,

brilliant parody = always refreshing.

well done.

No crap, Einstein. You can specialize coming from any school. Google topics like "oral surgery residents" or "orthodontics residents" and you'll see what various programs accept.

Can you forego Harvard to go to UAB and still specialize in ortho? Absolutely. Why? Because at least half the ortho residents at UAB orthodontics are from UAB dental. Look it up. It's available online. Same way with San Antonio, West Virginia, and every single school available. In cereal lingo, cereals in a bag like to hang out with other cereals in a bag. Boxed cereal like to hang out with other boxed cereal. It's the natural flow of things. Just don't go to UKentucky dental and expect to UCLA orthodontics. It rarely happens.

You can go to CU, Harvard, Penn, LA, SF and end up at ortho/OMFS residency at Louisville, UK, UMD, Buffalo, etc. It's just more rare to go in the reverse direction. It happens occasionally, but it's rare.

will you be my dentalstud? :love: