UDMercy vs NYU vs Touro

Started by siuooooo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

siuooooo

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got pulled off waitlists and accepted by multiple schools this late in the cycle. I was planning to work after undergrad and reapply but now suddenly have to decide between a lot. (please help)

School 1: UDMercy
Pros:
  • Pretty good patient base, from what I heard you can get a lot of exposure
  • Good reputation between dentists I've shadowed
Cons:
  • Everyone I talked to told me to avoid Detroit
  • I heard their clinics are relatively old
School 2: NYU
Pros:
  • I did undergrad in NYU and live close to the campus
  • potentially want to specialize heard their success rate was relatively high
  • A lot of dentists in NYC graduated from NYU
Cons:
  • most expensive
  • large class
School 3: Touro
Pros:
  • Also in NY, so pretty close
  • Very modern campus
Cons:
  • Relatively new so I'm not sure about reputation

Summary: My first choice was NYU mostly because I'm doing undergrad there.
However a lot of dentists I've talked to said NYU doesn't give enough exposure to students, and the cost of attendance without aid or scholarship is just so high. But then the other schools are not that cheap either, I think they are all over 100k/year. I did most of my interviews in virtual too because I didn't want to miss class, so I don't think I got enough information from the other schools either...
 
I got pulled off waitlists and accepted by multiple schools this late in the cycle. I was planning to work after undergrad and reapply but now suddenly have to decide between a lot. (please help)

School 1: UDMercy
Pros:
  • Pretty good patient base, from what I heard you can get a lot of exposure
  • Good reputation between dentists I've shadowed
Cons:
  • Everyone I talked to told me to avoid Detroit
  • I heard their clinics are relatively old
School 2: NYU
Pros:
  • I did undergrad in NYU and live close to the campus
  • potentially want to specialize heard their success rate was relatively high
  • A lot of dentists in NYC graduated from NYU
Cons:
  • most expensive
  • large class
School 3: Touro
Pros:
  • Also in NY, so pretty close
  • Very modern campus
Cons:
  • Relatively new so I'm not sure about reputation

Summary: My first choice was NYU mostly because I'm doing undergrad there.
However a lot of dentists I've talked to said NYU doesn't give enough exposure to students, and the cost of attendance without aid or scholarship is just so high. But then the other schools are not that cheap either, I think they are all over 100k/year. I did most of my interviews in virtual too because I didn't want to miss class, so I don't think I got enough information from the other schools either...
how much cheaper are UDM and Touro?
are you going to be living with your parents at NYU?
 
Touro’s tuition is around 109k a year. UDM is 100k. NYU is 120k.
Then if I’m going to NYU I’ll be living with my parents where as I have factor in rent for other schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think UDMercy will be around 540k for the 4 years, Touro will be around 580k, NYU is 520k. I can pay a lot of it from my previous savings, so my estimated debt for NYU and UDMercy will be around 290-300k, while Touro will likely be more around 330-340k ish.
The commute to Touro with morning traffic is close to three hours for me, while it’s 20 minutes to NYU.