Abdominal examination signs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panmit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is there a website or link that someone can post that goes over the abdominal signs (i.e. distention, rebound, tenderness, guarding)? When I read uworld questions all these words sound the same to me

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Is there a website or link that someone can post that goes over the abdominal signs (i.e. distention, rebound, tenderness, guarding)? When I read uworld questions all these words sound the same to me

I don't think there is one that explains them in adequate detail. You're gonna have to get a textbook for that. Recommendations; Macleod's Clinical Examination; Browse's introduction to the signs and symptoms of surgical disease; Oxford handbook of practical skills and clinical examination (Macleod is most user-friendly imo). But if you wanna see how to elicit signs on examination, check out the Macleod clinical examinations videos on YouTube. They are dope. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Distension -> Like bloating. Abdomen appears larger. Imagine a balloon with little gas in it vs. a balloon filled with gas. Both benign and urgent causes can cause distension, "tensely distended" can signify a surgical problem or ascites.

Tenderness -> Pain when the examiner presses down. The area of tenderness is informative.

Rebound -> Pain when the examiner lets go of pressure AFTER pressing down. This is a more concerning sign than just tenderness and can suggest a problem that needs urgent intervention.

Guarding -> Patient tenses abdominal muscles when an area is pressed. This is worrisome, particularly if it is "involuntary guarding".

These concepts are usually taught when you learn the abdominal exam--the Bates videos can be useful but I'm not sure if your school provides access.