ABEM Allows Testing at Home During COVID-19 Pandemic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docB

Chronically painful
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ABEM is relaxing some of its certification policies. It's giving extra time on some things and allowing testing at home due to travel restrictions.

I see this as a necessary step but does anyone think there will be blowback?

I'd like to see some of the changes, specifically testing at home, be made permanent but I think the chances are low.

ABEM New Release

Members don't see this ad.

If testing can be done at home during a crisis it can be done anytime. We should push hard for this to be made permanent and not take, "No" for an answer.

Reactions: 3 users
Well what about the oral board I regret waiting to take it due to family issues after passing the written.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice catch. I'd like to get Concert out of the way this year so maybe this is an option. Anything to make it easier for us ABEM "suckas" to pay them $$$ for these recert$. Heaven forbid we put off registering and decrease their revenue for the year.

If testing can be done at home during a crisis it can be done anytime. We should push hard for this to be made permanent and not take, "No" for an answer.

Don't waste a good crisis.

Haha, just kidding. I agree with you.

I feel that initial certification testing still needs to be completed in a monitored/controlled environment.

Nice catch. I'd like to get Concert out of the way this year so maybe this is an option. Anything to make it easier for us ABEM "suckas" to pay them $$$ for these recert$. Heaven forbid we put off registering and decrease their revenue for the year.

Is the other pathway not available to you? MyCert or whatever its called?

Concert is online and open book.
Nationwide, emergency physicians are facing unprecedented circumstances related to COVID-19. The American Board of Emergency Medicine (ABEM) recognizes this and is making changes to the ConCert Exam effective immediately. The ConCert Exam will now be offered in an online, open-book forma
  1. This exam will be offered as an open-book test in two three-week windows during 2020, 2021, and 2022 to eligible physicians.
  2. No additional costs. The move to an online, open-book exam will not come at an additional cost to you. The ConCert exam fee will remain the same.

Read additional details in these FAQs. Further information about the timing of the online exams will soon be available on the ABEM website. Please contact ABEM (517.332.4800 or [email protected]) with questions related to your individual circumstances.

Thank you for your dedication to the specialty of Emergency Medicine.

Sincerely,

Jill M. Baren, M.D., M.S., M.B.A.

President

Is the other pathway not available to you? MyCert or whatever its called?

Yeah, this is the first year I can take it and I kind of just want to get it out of the way and not have to worry about the alternate pathway but I haven’t completely made up my mind. If I wait for MyEMCert, I’ll be crunched for time to finish all modules.

Reactions: 1 users
Guess how much the home test costs? It must be much less now that there is no test site fee. Nope, still $2,000! Nevermind that our salaries just got slashed in half. Thanks ABEM for the excellent work continuing to collect maximum fees and lowering barriers to do so.

Guess how much the home test costs? It must be much less now that there is no test site fee. Nope, still $2,000! Nevermind that our salaries just got slashed in half. Thanks ABEM for the excellent work continuing to collect maximum fees and lowering barriers to do so.
Good point. I've gotta say that when I first heard of this it never even occurred to me that they'd cut the cost. Just too many years of being in the system. At this point I'd be fine with it if their process was to slip them wads of unmarked bills. Just let me go with as little annoyance as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Good point. I've gotta say that when I first heard of this it never even occurred to me that they'd cut the cost. Just too many years of being in the system. At this point I'd be fine with it if their process was to slip them wads of unmarked bills. Just let me go with as little annoyance as possible.
That's essentially what it is this year.
At least I can pay with my credit card and get airline miles.