Abem llsa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeneralVeers

Socially Distanced
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out this LLSA exam and whether or not I need to do the exam this year. The ABEM website is less than helpful, and is relatively vague.

I received full board certification in July. Do I need to take the LLSA this year or next?

ABEM receives massive fail for communication.

Members don't see this ad.

I took it in '04 and on the page where you go to register (ie. pay) it's always listed that one as "You can not take this exam." So based on that I don't think you have to do LLSA in the same year you take the big test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also confused about this. Add to that confusion is my bewilderment about CME requirements. I've heard so many conflicting things about how much I have to have, when I have to have it, to whom I submit it, etc, etc, etc.

The odd thing is that, as a paramedic, it was always crystal clear what I had to do.

Take care,
Jeff

From ABEM:

You should begin with the LLSA test that follows the year you certify or renew certification. LLSA tests from the year of and years prior to initial certification or certificate renewal are not available to you and cannot be counted toward your most recent ConCert examination requirement. If you fall into either of these categories, you should have access to the LLSA tests posted beginning the year following certification or renewal. LLSA tests are posted on April 1.

So, GV, you don't need to start until April 1 2010.

Jeff:
for texas:
Physicians need to complete at least 24 hours of continuing medical education every 12 months. At least half of these hours must be in formal, category I courses. A physician must report on the registration permit application if she or he has completed the required CME.

Documentation of CME courses shall be made available to the Board upon request (Spring 97 Newsletter " Board Initiates CME Audits"), but should not be mailed with the registration payment. Random audits will be made to assure compliance. Formal courses include those recognized by the American Medical Association, American Osteopathic Association, Texas Medical Association, Texas Osteopathic Medical Association and medical specialty societies. Informal self-study includes attendance at hospital lectures, grand rounds, or case conferences.

As of 1999, at least 1 of the formal hours must involve the study of medical ethics and/or professional responsibility. Professional responsibility can involve courses in Risk Management, Domestic Abuse, or Child Abuse.

So, what all that means, is you keep track of all your CME credits (a file folder) because the board could come at any time to ask for it.

(and ACEP scientific assembly says they offer enough CME to meet this, but you can get it where ever, just keep your certificates).

Each state will have some specific requirement. (Ie tx has thier medical ethics. California has a 'pain' requirement).

It is up to you to track your CME