ABFAS forefoot only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podsquad17

Reaction score
Wanted to drop by and see what your thoughts are in only taking the FOREFOOT ABFAS boards? I wanted to take the ABPM later this year and have heard mixed responses from previous grads that ABPM should be sufficient for hospital privileges etc..
Any point in taking ABFAS FOREFOOT only this year and see based on the type of job I get decide to take rearfoot next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Its techincally foot (not forefoot, though thats a common misconception) and I would absolutely advise taking the exam.

ABFAS foot will open a lot of doors and most hospitals probably wont care about RRA as much as you think.

Reactions: 1 users
The primary function of the ABPS is to certify qualified podiatric surgeons who have the knowledge, experience and expertise in the surgery of the foot and ankle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've noticed that not a large number of candidates are able to get Rearfoot certified. Getting Foot and Ankle ER call isn't easy due to Ortho and I typically don't see too many ankle fractures in PP. Has anyone left their current job to find another job to hit their Rearfoot numbers? Does it matter to you? Although I trained extensively in Rearfoot/ankle elective and non-elective surgeries in residency, those cases (mostly non-elective), can be hard to come by. It's tough to feel limited by any means... If a patient walks in with an ankle fracture that you are more than capable of fixing yourself, and having to refer it out due to not being "Rearfoot certified." Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 user
A couple years ago ABFAS got rid of the nonelective aka trauma requirement. Now it is simply 30 RRA cases total with 13 of them being reviewable cases (ie within appendix B).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210210-071108_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210210-071108_Drive.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: 3 users
If a patient walks in with an ankle fracture that you are more than capable of fixing yourself, and having to refer it out due to not being "Rearfoot certified." Thoughts?
In PP, those walk-in ankle fractures happens maybe once or twice a year? Except for those who hook up with a urgent care and they send all their ankle fractures to your office may be the exception, and they will get a lot of ankle fractures.

Most urgent care and ER ankle fractures mainly go to big ortho groups who are in contract to take all the trauma/fractures. Besides a hospital that has a podiatry residency program, very few hospitals send ankle fracture to the local podiatrist. I said "few hospitals" and I know there are some exceptions. And those exceptions are well established podiatrist in the area who have built the connections over many years. So as a new grad joining a regular PP, don't think that the ER will start sending you the ankle fractures because you graduated from a top 3 year residency program with RRA/ankle lol. You have to prove yourself and work for it (kiss ass) over many years.

Ankle fractures is sure fun to fix in Residency but out in practice, ankle fracture is not going to make or break you. You can do well financially and have a very rewarding career with not seeing any ankle fracture, and referring out the one or 2 ankle fracture a year that stumble into your clinic.

I personally do not want to deal with an ankle fracture that walks into my clinic on a Friday afternoon and the case needs to go the same day, when I am already looking forward to enjoying my Friday night and weekend. Give me a full clinic and I am happy to send out those precious ankle fractures.

So if you are in PP or going into PP, a time will come when you have to swallow the sweet pill that you are not going to be doing those fun cases (ankle ORIF) like you used to in Residency. It's not the end of the world though.

I've noticed that not a large number of candidates are able to get Rearfoot certified. Getting Foot and Ankle ER call isn't easy due to Ortho and I typically don't see too many ankle fractures in PP. Has anyone left their current job to find another job to hit their Rearfoot numbers? Does it matter to you? Although I trained extensively in Rearfoot/ankle elective and non-elective surgeries in residency, those cases (mostly non-elective), can be hard to come by. It's tough to feel limited by any means... If a patient walks in with an ankle fracture that you are more than capable of fixing yourself, and having to refer it out due to not being "Rearfoot certified." Thoughts?
Once you are on your own you will quickly realize that big cases equal big problems. Residency I was all about the big RRA cases but now that I'm not a resident I would gladly take a morning OR schedule of bunions over a charcot recon or TAR.

Many DPMs do not want to seek RRA because it is expensive, a hassle, and from my experience at least, does not limit them. I personally have the RRA but I dont need it to do just about anything at the hospital I am at. They accepted foot for basically anything I want to do with exception of TAR they want the RRA.

I've already got up on my soap box about ABFAS>ABPM in the thread on VA and I wont get back up there. But I would strongly advise taking minimum ABFAS foot to prevent yourself from being potentially limited in your career.

- -

Edit: If you have the #s for RRA you should submit. It isnt that bad. Takes an afternoon to upload the cases and obviously costs some $$$. But it could open up doors in the future and it never hurts to cover your grounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Once you are on your own you will quickly realize that big cases equal big problems. Residency I was all about the big RRA cases but now that I'm not a resident I would gladly take a morning OR schedule of bunions over a charcot recon or TAR.

Many DPMs do not want to seek RRA because it is expensive, a hassle, and from my experience at least, does not limit them. I personally have the RRA but I dont need it to do just about anything at the hospital I am at. They accepted foot for basically anything I want to do with exception of TAR they want the RRA.

I've already got up on my soap box about ABFAS>ABPM in the thread on VA and I wont get back up there. But I would strongly advise taking minimum ABFAS foot to prevent yourself from being potentially limited in your career.

- -

Edit: If you have the #s for RRA you should submit. It isnt that bad. Takes an afternoon to upload the cases and obviously costs some $$$. But it could open up doors in the future and it never hurts to cover your grounds.
An afternoon to upload cases? Does that include collecting documents??? Man I could use some tips if you have any

An afternoon to upload cases? Does that include collecting documents??? Man I could use some tips if you have any
You initially uplaod the cases and submit which should take about half a day if you have patient info readily available.

Then ABFAS will pick the cases they want you to defend, and that is when you upload documents i.e progress notes, pre-op, post-op, imaging etc. This is the part that take the longest.

Once you are on your own you will quickly realize that big cases equal big problems.
100% correct. Rearfoot fusions take forever to heal (fully fuse) and patients wonder why the foot still swells months later even though you tell them a million times that expect occasional swelling 12 months to even 2 years after surgery.

Yeah. I had forgotten about the 2nd upload part after they chose your cases. It probably takes about a solid 8hrs of work all combined to gather everything start to finish. It is a lot to do but its worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’d at least get foot now and leave the door open for rear foot and ankle in the future. Better to have it and not need it then not get it and wish you did down the road.

Let me just add an experience I had today as an example. My brother who lives in another state sent me a message telling me he had hurt his foot. He had been to the VA and had X-rays and they referred him to a local podiatry group. He asked me to take a look at the group and see if there were any of the doctors he should ask specifically to see. I looked at their info really quick and told him which ones I would recommend. I recommended the ABFAS certified ones and told him to avoid the others.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Are we talking about ABFAS qual exams or cert exam? Either way, attempt both.
If you're talking qual, take it asap while your residency/school is fresh. If you're talking cert, take both as soon as you have about 125% the minimum cases. Take both parts the same year since, as was said, the Foot is foot (not forefoot) and Foot has a lot of overlap with RRA (both cover flat foot, heel pathology, tendonitis, etc... RRA just covers more ankle fx, arthritis, etc). Unless you have your Foot numbers and some surplus - but not RRA minimums - you should study for both and sit for both.

ABPM is generally NOT sufficient for hospital privileges except for non-OR stuff: wound care, inpatient consult, admit (if they have that for DPM), etc. Most of today's 4yr pod school and 3+yr residency DPM grads don't want to just admit a patient for IV antibiotics and bedside debride or HBO... only to refer to somebody who has passed ABFAS to do the amp or whatever in the OR. Don't be that guy. You can do better. Sure, ABPM is better than nothing, it will get you on most insurances since it is a recognized board cert, but it simply won't help much with actual OR surgical privileges at any major/respected/urban hospital. You need ABFAS qual and cert within 5yrs for that surgical privi at nearly anywhere where they understand our boards... so basically any hospital that does quality control and that you'd want to be on staff at.

Now, for board cert, yeah, it's hard. Some people fail foot or RRA or both. Some people pass and can't get enough cases... as was mentioned.
Is just Foot cert and case logs ok at a lot of places? Yeah. Will they let you do RRA cases without cert? Maybe.
Can you still privilege and do the 'easier RRA' like Achilles or maybe gastroc or with just Foot cert? Probably.
Do the boards cost money? Uh huh... a very small amount of money in the grand scheme.
Will there be some places that say "no podiatry ankles, no podiatry trauma" whether you have RRA cert or not? Some, yes.
Will there be some ignorant places that don't even understand our boards at all and hire a TFP over you? Yup.

Should you still aim for both Foot and RRA? ABSOLUTELY. Your residency was designed for it, and it will never hurt you. ABFAS is basically a need in any metro unless you want to have a fairly crippled career and never get surgical privi at the majority of hospitals, and Foot cert is good but still a bit inferior to Foot+RRA cert. Besides privileging easier and RRA privileges more likely, guess what is the main thing RRA will do? Hint: hasn't been hit on in any posts above yet gets discussed here all of the time... (drumroll)

J-O-B-S! How many apps do you think the good F&A/Podiatry job postings at well-run groups, ortho/MSG, etc get? Tons. They usually don't have some reject filtering the job apps... it is very likely to be a competent DPM. How many of those apps are ABFAS cert... 70 percent? How many are RRA cert... 25 percent? How many of those jobs want the best trained person they can get? All of them. RRA cert shows that you have many more services to offer. You still have sell your training, but it shows that you know many procedures others can't do and have proven proficiency. It shows that you can take call. It shows you can probably get privileged for anything they need (assuming no bogus ortho/pod or pod/pod politics with Chief of Pod/Surgery/Ortho/etc).

The same could be said for fellowship, graduating with honors, etc... yet fellowship doesn't even mean you passed ABFAS Foot and doesn't mean anything since fellowships are variable and the person might have done a crap residency before fellowship... or the valedictorian is a crummy person in terms of social skills, etc. Boards are highly objective way to say you have cleared the hurdles and you are a professional who did the right training and takes their job seriously. GL

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My main surgery center offers generous credentialing to both ABPM and ABFAS foot. However, rearfoot is required for any sort of ankle work, qual/cert. If you were to somehow convince a hospital here to hire you with the expectation of taking trauma/ankle call then not having qualified would likely be a deal breaker. It would also prevent you from doing ankles while waiting to qualify. The rules are just so variable that I think you should initially pursue everything. Who knows where you will go, what you will do, how you will grow.

As far as ankles. For whatever reason, my first 2 years of residency was full of "fun" ankles. Ankles that want to get better. Athletic ankles. Horse back riding ankles. etc. My last year of residency was a year of diabetic insanity and vasculopaths. Same clinic just crazier patients. Made me miss the guy who just jumped off a balcony onto a rock for no reason (jk, drugs). Both ankles that have walked into my PP clinic have been diabetic dialysis dependent disasters. Alliteration. I want to do the right thing for people, but referring these on was the right thing. I could have taken on one of them - the other was beyond my skill set. Which brings me to an random thing - know your limits. There's a story on Podiatry Today or something about a guy who was denied ankle surgery from his own residency hospital because he had only done 10 ankle fractures. I'm torn - we all need to grow. Old school podiatrists - who knows what they did and how they learned. But 10 is not a lot and the spectrum of trauma is enormous. I thought I saw a decent amount of calcaneal trauma during 4th year and I had an attending who regularly tackled it. I remember watching a presentation by Myerson and thinking - damn, these are calcaneal fractures. Big spectrum. Know your limits.

I have full surgical privileges at both my local surg centers and hospital with ABPM. I am in a very rapid growing suburban area in the South.

However... Finding other places that accept ABPM fully like this will probably be hard fo find. But theyre out there. Best to play it safe and minimally go for forefoot ABFAS.

I kinda jabbed at them before... but those other surgery boards - ABMSP and ABLES - are generally not accepted for credentialing. Unfortunately a waste of money (in my opinion). They are also not recognized by the VA. Best to steer clear of those.

My main surgery center offers generous credentialing to both ABPM and ABFAS foot....
I have full surgical privileges at both my local surg centers and hospital with ABPM...
Yes, you can find places like this. Not too many. You will certainly be limited without ABFAS. There are a few hospitals that might turn a blind eye to lack of ABFAS in most metros and a fair amount in the country areas who have that same blind eye - or just don't really understand podiatry boards to begin with. Most of them doing that either want revenue and surgery cases badly and/or they are rural/undesirable location and desperate for docs.

Either way, if you somehow got any kind of surgical/OR privileges with ABPM (or nothing) and didn't have ABFAS, don't ever let those go. Try to get still ABFAS if you can. It will probably cost you million$ over your practicing career if you cannot. Even if you stop going to that hospital that gave you surgical cred with ABPM only, you move across town or out of state, etc still keep those privileges as long as you can. Use that as a discussion point when applying to other hospitals/centers in the future: "I was privileged for X at hospital Y with my ABPM cert and was doing procedures fine there for years. Here are the privileges granted, and here are some case logs." There are no guarantees it will work at most other hospitals, though... nearly all places have somebody who knows our boards, and that will only increase in time as training levels have elevated. Again, each place is their own little world.

Last edited:
Does anybody think ABFAS is just one giant monopoly? If a podiatrist graduates podiatry school, meets minimum surgical volume cut offs and graduates from an accredited residency training program don't you think they should be allowed to train to maximum of their training and education?

ABFAS sets the bar ridiculously high with their poor pass rates which are not comparable to ortho or any other specialty. They are notoriously known for passing on the third attempt after they have gotten their money from candidates. They have deliberately gotten themselves written into state laws/statutes with their lobbying power.

Who granted them as the premier regulating body of the podiatric profession? Certainly not the APMA who backs the ABPM boards if I understand that correctly.

Does anybody think ABFAS is just one giant monopoly? If a podiatrist graduates podiatry school, meets minimum surgical volume cut offs and graduates from an accredited residency training program don't you think they should be allowed to train to maximum of their training and education?

ABFAS sets the bar ridiculously high with their poor pass rates which are not comparable to ortho or any other specialty. They are notoriously known for passing on the third attempt after they have gotten their money from candidates. They have deliberately gotten themselves written into state laws/statutes with their lobbying power.

Who granted them as the premier regulating body of the podiatric profession? Certainly not the APMA who backs the ABPM boards if I understand that correctly.
I agree with above and it's ridiculous how hard they are making this test. Personally, I know of an attending who review the cases and lost the surgical privilege at their hospital and another attending who write questions for ABFAS and failed the foot exam twice. Try asking your friend who passed the ABPM and see if they regret certifying or whether the exam didn't help them get privilege at hospitals or get on insurance company. I wish they publish the pass rate for foot and rearfoot combined, not individual sections. My 2 cents.

Pass rates can be pretty low.

I do agree there is suspicious activity with ABFAS.

But podiatry, in general, has a lot of sketchy people who probably shouldnt be holding a blade. This may explain some of the lower pass rates.

100% of new grads fresh out of residency are not ABFAS Certified (this is a fact and can't be argued), at most is they are ABFAS qualified. You can become ABPM board certified the same year you complete residency. The point I am trying to make is 99.999% of hospitals will get new residency graduates credentialed. They will ask for your surgery residency logs and you get your surgical privilege. So you don't need any ABFAS board certification to get surgical privilege at a hospital. We can all agree on this right?

For those who are so pro ABFAS are saying that after 5-7 years, the hospital which you have been doing all your cases will revoke your privilege because you choose not to pursue ABFAS Certification? but you are ABPM certified and already doing surgery all those previous years. I will like to hear stories of this happening wide spread? Not just isolated cases of a hospital probably targeting a doctor and using ABFAS board certification to get rid of him/her. Politics happen and I understand that.

The main advantage of ABFAS certification is if you plan to apply for jobs in the future or switch jobs, then you obviously have the so called advantage. However, I believe in the long run, experience and personal connections/networking (who you know) is what gets you a job at the hospital/MSG and not necessarily any board certification. This is evident every year when hospitals or MSG groups hire fresh podiatry graduates who obviously are not ABFAS board certified. Those new grads got their jobs through networking and hard work. ABFAS did not gift them a job, kudos to them.

ABFAS certification is great so as ABPM certification ( I personally believe they are equal and serve the same purpose). Lastly, I disagree that you will lose millions in income if you don't do surgery. Cancelling half day of clinic or full day clinic, to do surgery will make you lose millions over your career. Do you guys actually see your EOB to see what you ACTUALLY get paid for surgery (NOT what you billed out)?

Clinic is where the money at (except if you own or buy into a surgery center).

ABFAS qualified allows surgical priveleges at hospital.
At my hospital if I am not ABFAS certified within 5 years they at least say my surgical priveleges are revoked
If they actually would do that who knows because money talks
But If I ever wanted to leave and go somewhere else I would not be able to get priveleges.

ABPM is much easier to get certified. But also much more of a hassel in the grand scheme of things.

Get the ABFAS foot at minimum and move on.

And I agree that surgery actually loses money, at least for me.
I do make more in clinic. If you look at my prior posts I have considered going non surgical in 10-20 years.
I run a heavy musculoskeletal clinic. I do very little diabetic care.
I get referrals due to my surgical abilities and my heavy surgical case load.
PCPs see the surgery I do and refer similar patients
If all I did was trim nails PCPs would just send me more nails.

Side note, most of my referrals never turn surgical. Most problems can be improved or cured without surgery.
Injections, orthotics, bracing, etc etc all pay good cash but I would not have as heavy of this patient base if I didnt market myself as a MSK surgeon.

Someday I plan to "retire" and ride the diabetic nail gravy train as its a lot easier and lower risk. But while im young I plan to continue as is for awhile.

Side note, most of my referrals never turn surgical. Most problems can be improved or cured without surgery.
Injections, orthotics, bracing, etc etc all pay good cash but I would not have as heavy of this patient base if I didnt market myself as a MSK surgeon.
This is very correct, we all market ourselves as surgical even though most patients are treated conservatively and do very well. Personally, my goal is to keep my patients out of surgery and my patients appreciate that. I saw a patient with 1st MPJ arthritis that the other doc was recommending fusion without any conservative treatment and I gave him an injection and his pain is gone, I told him he may still need surgery in the future but he is currently happy and pain free.

I am not putting myself under any pressure to jump into surgery on every patient because I want to get my numbers and diversity to be ABFAS board certified. If I end up getting my number or not, I could care less. Trying to chase the number and diversity means you are trying to do surgery on everyone.

What happens if at the 7th year after doing a thousand surgeries, you realize you are only 2-3 cases away from getting a particular diversity. Would you not be tempted to "find it" somehow on a patient? Does that make you a bad surgeon because you could not fulfill some nonsense man-made quota system.

Truth is, not everyone is going to get the numbers and diversity to be ABFAS board certified and most, if not all, will do just fine with ABPM. Does not make you a good or bad surgeon regardless.

This is very correct, we all market ourselves as surgical even though most patients are treated conservatively and do very well. Personally, my goal is to keep my patients out of surgery and my patients appreciate that. I saw a patient with 1st MPJ arthritis that the other doc was recommending fusion without any conservative treatment and I gave him an injection and his pain is gone, I told him he may still need surgery in the future but he is currently happy and pain free.

I am not putting myself under any pressure to jump into surgery on every patient because I want to get my numbers and diversity to be ABFAS board certified. If I end up getting my number or not, I could care less. Trying to chase the number and diversity means you are trying to do surgery on everyone.

What happens if at the 7th year after doing a thousand surgeries, you realize you are only 2-3 cases away from getting a particular diversity. Would you not be tempted to "find it" somehow on a patient? Does that make you a bad surgeon because you could not fulfill some nonsense man-made quota system.

Truth is, not everyone is going to get the numbers and diversity to be ABFAS board certified and most, if not all, will do just fine with ABPM. Does not make you a good or bad surgeon regardless.
Its only 65 cases. The actual number is higher than that to meet diversity but if a "surgeon" cant get 65 cases in 7 years they need to put down the knife.

Surgery isnt something you should only do a few times a year.

In that case ABPM is fine to stay on insurance.

I see about 30 people a day. I usually sign up 1-3 cases a day for surgery. The others I am bracing, splinting, etc, etc.

Everyone keeps saying that you'll only be credentialed with ABFAS. All of the hospitals/surgery centers I have been credentialed at (in two states) only required any form of board qual/certification - whether it be ABPM, ABFAS, ABMSP, etc.

Hell, a surgery center wants you to bring them business, they aren't going to care. Overall you will find somewhere to bring your patients to and you're going to survive if you don't make ABFAS.

As I said, you can do thousand of cases and someone not meet the "diversity" requirement. And this is not even about surgery itself but ABFAS trying to be the Kings of kings and gate keeper for surgery and having a very low pass rate.
The diversity is relatively broad and not that hard to meet.

If you can only do Austin bunions and nothing else you wont make diversity.

But if you can only do Austin bunions and nothing else you probably shouldnt be doing bunions.

But Ill get back off my soap box.

DPMs can do as they wish but not getting ABFAS if you want to be a "surgeon" will limit your abilities in your career. ABPM is not as accepted. Yes ABPM can argue on your behalf but its all a pain. ABFAS foot is not impossible to get.

Can my ABFAS surgeons help a bro out with this case.

60 year old female. Morbidly obese. Heart attack 4 months ago. Heart stenting. On plavix + a bunch of other stuff. Smokes 1.5 packs a day.

Painful medial eminences. Bilateral moderate hallux valgus. Some dorsal spurring at the 1st MPJs. Terrible tissue quality. Delayed capillary refill.

Its our first visit and she just can't find a pair of shoes that fit.

Will ABFAS still pass me on this case as long as I predict ahead of the time all the disasters that will ensue and then appropriately manage them. Obvious I will closely manage them with cardiology and vascular surgery.

:) Just playing.

...Lastly, I disagree that you will lose millions in income if you don't do surgery. Cancelling half day of clinic or full day clinic, to do surgery will make you lose millions over your career. Do you guys actually see your EOB to see what you ACTUALLY get paid for surgery (NOT what you billed out)?

Clinic is where the money at (except if you own or buy into a surgery center).
You can survive (and thrive) in PP if you do minimal or no surgery. Usually there is some highly shady DME, wound care, or other nonsense going on if the income of a non-surgical PP is anywhere near a surgical DPM, but yeah, you survive either way. This is considering associate vs associate, partner vs partner, owner vs owner, etc. You can even survive doing legit injections, orthotics, warts, ingrowns, and various PPMR stuff with legit billing... if you hustle and/or find an areas with good insurance payers and/or very little competition.

However, not doing surgery rules out 95% of any MSG, ortho, hospital employed, etc job for a DPM. Those are the best employed jobs, and all of those doors unfortunately close and will not re-open if you can't get OR privileges and do surgery at the facilities. If you do manage to find an opening and desire some rural hospital or clinic that wants a pure non-surgical DPM, wound master, ortho F&A feeder non-op DPM, etc... good! At those, you almost certainly won't get compensated nearly the same as a surgical DPM would in that same hospital or group. The non-surgical podiatrist simply does not generate the overall RVU/collections/revenues (admits, OR team $, advanced imaging, pre-op testing, refers, etc etc) as the DPM peer who is regularly scheduling cases. Those didn't matter much to the PP podiatry group who only wants office collections, but they absolutely matter to the MSG/hospital/ortho who owns the imaging, surg center shares, lab, pharma, PT, etc etc. So yeah, it wastes a lot of your training and it also costs you millions... unless perhaps you intend to do solo PP with billing that's not exactly on the up-and-up?

ABFAS sets the bar ridiculously high with their poor pass rates which are not comparable to ortho or any other specialty. ...
ABFAS is not the monopoly. If they are, then every ABMS board for MD/DO is similar and "monopoly." We are one of the few specialties that even has multiple recognized boards (ABFAS and ABPM). Most MDs just have one board for each residency type and then sub-specialty within that board as optional. Pod is also one of the few MD/DO/DDS/etc specialties that unfortunately has fake boards ("non-recognized") with a fair amount of people who try to fool hospitals/public with them. It is no wonder they're confused... if I barely understand it, how is a Chief of Surgery, HR manager, or similar MD/DO supposed to? If you do 4yrs OB residency after MD school and don't pass the ABOG that they all take... then you re-take it; there is not some "Amer Board of Maternal Fetal Medicine" or some other wacky unregulated easy alternate.

The plain fact is that Pod schools are very minimally selective on the front end, many are fairly bad at filtering in those 4yrs and their grads.... so DPM residency and boards are left to be the gatekeepers. That is being fixed at snail's pace. It doesn't make the hospitals/boards the enemy, though... they are protecting themselves, doing a public service, and filling a niche. Are the two regulated/recognized DPM boards making a buck in the process? Not very much, actually. The test construction and validation is time consuming and expensive, and there are not nearly as many DPMs as ortho, IM, FP, GSurg, or even dent to pay to take their respective board tests each year. Bottom line: MD/DO schools filter better coming in, and they have much more standardization among residency programs (esp MD ones)... so their recognized boards will naturally have higher pass rates since most of the weeding out and protection of the public/pts/profession was done long before boards and that last year of residency or at hospitals. Podiatry? Not so much. It is what it is.
*this is NOT to say MD/DO don't still have tons of turf battles and privileging politics among themselves... we need to remember that also*
...Hell, a surgery center wants you to bring them business, they aren't going to care. Overall you will find somewhere to bring your patients to and you're going to survive if you don't make ABFAS.
Yes, I concur... but you'd rather have 90% of the hospitals and ambu centers and jobs in any given area open to you than have them closed to you. It always makes sense to try for ABFAS. It will never hurt you.

Last edited:
Yes ABPM can argue on your behalf but its all a pain.

it’s not just a pain, it has been a losing proposition for ABPM and the podiatrists trying to get privileges without ABFAS at various facilities all across the country.

I know what ABPM tells us that hospitals can and can’t do in terms of granting privileges, but guess what? Hospitals do whatever the heck they want and ABPM cant do anything about it.

all that being said I don’t need ABFAS at my hospital but that’s largely because there has never been a podiatry presence here and therefore nobody to write “ABFAS only” into the bylaws.

Reactions: 3 users