ABFAS In-training Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Podstar

9:48
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just signed up for the ABFAS ITEs in late September. As an incoming PGY1, should I just wing it to get a baseline score to improve on the following years or should I put some study time in? Is it worth it to study hard and prepare to try and pass these as a PGY3 and come out of residency already board qualified? Do a decent amount of residents pass this in their final year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just signed up for the ABFAS ITEs in late September. As an incoming PGY1, should I just wing it to get a baseline score to improve on the following years or should I put some study time in? Is it worth it to study hard and prepare to try and pass these as a PGY3 and come out of residency already board qualified? Do a decent amount of residents pass this in their final year?
I didnt study for my ABPM or ABFAS ITEs as a first and second year but i wished I did a bit because i had to study really hard for my third year ITE In order to pass all four parts. If you have time I would study bc its surgical and is useful throughout your education during residency. Make sure you study hard during third year so you dont have to worry about it once you graduate. My program paid for both ABPM and ABFAS boards which saved me thousands! Woohoo! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I didnt study for my ABPM or ABFAS ITEs as a first and second year but i wished I did a bit because i had to study really hard for my third year ITE In order to pass all four parts. If you have time I would study bc its surgical and is useful throughout your education during residency. Make sure you study hard during third year so you dont have to worry about it once you graduate. My program paid for both ABPM and ABFAS boards which saved me thousands! Woohoo! Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. My program also pays for both. Any recommendations on study resources?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. My program also pays for both. Any recommendations on study resources?
Great! Itll save you a lot of money and one less thing to worry about if you pass those boards in March of your third year. Unfortunately for us ABPM was not offered in March so I will be taking it this october. This year I used Board Wizards (highly recommend) and board vitals. I tried reading every chapter in McGlamry but after 5 chapters i quit haha. Board Wizards is great for cases. They offer over 50 practice cases for foot/RRA. Both BW and BV offer over 1000 questions. I studied for three months.

Reactions: 3 users
How is not studying going to help you?

How is studying going to hurt you?

...You should be studying pretty much throughout residency whenever you don't have cases/pts. That is the point of it (PG edu).

Reactions: 2 users