ABFAS Qualification Pass / Fail Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podoloco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any published data on the pass rates for ABFAS, ABPS, qualification exam?
I have seen the annual CPME reports publishing the certification rates, but can not find any information on the qualifying pass/fail statistics. Previous posts suggest this information was publicly known at some point, or the individual somehow knew the rates.

Members don't see this ad.

I seem to recall the ABFAS mailing me a newsletter with the exam stats each year. I haven't looked at the results in awhile since I'm long past that hurdle.

Any chance someone would be willing to sift through their inbox for the past newsletter? The information is not on the ABFAS website. It would be greatly appreciated. Looking for percentages on Board Qualification exam results. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called ABFAS after I passed the qualification exam, and asked if I could have the pass/fail percentages. They would not give it to me. I heard a rumor that the forefoot qualification exam had a 90% pass rate, and the rearfoot qualification exam had a lower pass rate, this from students at a recent board review course. Again this is strictly a rumor.

Published statistics from the annual CPME reports. This is only for certification pass rates. Nothing published on qualifying rates.

CPME Reported ABFAS certification pass rates:

2010: ABPS Foot (208/299) - 69.5% / ABPS Rearfoot (80/138) - 58%
2011: ABPS Foot (234/315) –74% / ABPS Rearfoot (96/138)– 69%
2012: ABPS Foot (193/261) – 74% / ABPS Rearfoot (74/114) – 65%
2013: ABPS Foot (208/268) –77.6% / ABPS Rearfoot (114/155)– 73.5%
2014: ABFAS Foot (212/248) - 85% / ABFAS Rearfoot (58/103) - 56%

Those stats suck.
Especially the stats for people taking the test in the fall, something like a 70% fail rate. I was surprised by the ~50% fail rate for first time test takers on the rear foot part 1. I was initially surprised by the ~70% fail rate for people retaking the test, but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that those who didn't pass it the first time struggled the second time

Here are the stats for the 2015 ABFAS exam from the latest ABFAS newsletter:

Spring Part 1 Foot Surgery Didactics
Pass: 60%

Spring Part 1 Foot Surgery CBPS
Pass: 74%

Fall Part 1 Foot Surgery Didactics
Pass: 27%

Fall Part 1 Foot Surgery CBPS
Pass: 30%

Spring Part 1 RRA Surgery Didactics
Pass: 56%

Spring Part 1 RRA Surgery CBPS
Pass: 54%

Fall Part 1 RRA Surgery Didactics
Pass: 33%

Fall Part 1 RRA Surgery CBPS
Pass: 44%

Part 2 Foot Surgery CBPS
Pass: 71%

Part 2 RRA Surgery CBPS

Part 2 Foot Surgery Case Review
Pass: 63%

Part 2 RRA Surgery Case Review

Last edited:
What did you guys think of the 2016 foot and rearfoot exam?

Here are the stats for the 2015 ABFAS exam from the latest ABFAS newsletter:

Spring Part 1 Foot Surgery Didactics
Pass: 60%

Spring Part 1 Foot Surgery CBPS
Pass: 74%

Fall Part 1 Foot Surgery Didactics
Pass: 27%

Fall Part 1 Foot Surgery CBPS
Pass: 30%

Spring Part 1 RRA Surgery Didactics
Pass: 56%

Spring Part 1 RRA Surgery CBPS

Fall Part 1 RRA Surgery Didactics
Pass: 33%

Fall Part 1 RRA Surgery CBPS
Pass: 44%

Part 2 Foot Surgery CBPS
Pass: 71%

Part 2 RRA Surgery CBPS

Part 2 Foot Surgery Case Review

Part 2 RRA Surgery Case Review

Reactions: 1 user
I called ABFAS after I passed the qualification exam, and asked if I could have the pass/fail percentages. They would not give it to me. I heard a rumor that the forefoot qualification exam had a 90% pass rate, and the rearfoot qualification exam had a lower pass rate, this from students at a recent board review course. Again this is strictly a rumor.

Just as a point of clarification. There is no forefoot examination or classification. There is foot and rearfoot/ankle. Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. There is no forefoot exam, it's simply "foot"!!

Just as a point of clarification. There is no forefoot examination or classification. There is foot and rearfoot/ankle. Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. There is no forefoot exam, it's simply "foot"!!

Pet peeve aside, this is a good point for anyone preparing for boards or who has no interest in doing rearfoot. The "foot" portion does include rearfoot and ankle pathologies and management, just no surgical procedures.

Reactions: 1 user
Pet peeve aside, this is a good point for anyone preparing for boards or who has no interest in doing rearfoot. The "foot" portion does include rearfoot and ankle pathologies and management, just no surgical procedures.

I'm not sure I agree with your comment. It's been quite a few years since I passed my exam. But if I recall correctly, "foot" can include the surgical management of rearfoot pathology. Reconstructive rearfoot surgery is really the distinction. Once again, I may be wrong and not up to date, but I don't believe a plantar fasicotomy case falls under rearfoot. Regardless, my point is that requirements for the "foot" portion do not exclude simple rearfoot procedures or surgery.

I'm chairman of the Dept at a local hospital. And DPMs at the hospital are not excluded from performing RRA procedures if they are "only" certified in foot surgery. Similarly, RRA privileges are not automatically granted just because someone has RRA certification. It's all based on training and surgical logs. If you apply to this hosptial and have RRA certification, but haven't performed an RRA case in two years, those privileges won't be granted. On the other hand, if you are foot certified and show us a surgical log of recent RRA cases, you will likely be granted those privileges.

I'm not sure I agree with your comment. It's been quite a few years since I passed my exam. But if I recall correctly, "foot" can include the surgical management of rearfoot pathology. Reconstructive rearfoot surgery is really the distinction. Once again, I may be wrong and not up to date, but I don't believe a plantar fasicotomy case falls under rearfoot. Regardless, my point is that requirements for the "foot" portion do not exclude simple rearfoot procedures or surgery.
My (oral) foot exam did indeed include rearfoot surgery questions. I distinctly recall a battery of questions pertaining to cavus foot and flatfoot reconstruction procedures.

I'm chairman of the Dept at a local hospital. And DPMs at the hospital are not excluded from performing RRA procedures if they are "only" certified in foot surgery. Similarly, RRA privileges are not automatically granted just because someone has RRA certification. It's all based on training and surgical logs. If you apply to this hosptial and have RRA certification, but haven't performed an RRA case in two years, those privileges won't be granted. On the other hand, if you are foot certified and show us a surgical log of recent RRA cases, you will likely be granted those privileges.
I wish that were the case at my hospital. No RRA cert, no rearfoot privileges (other than Haglund's).

Has anyone received exam results yet? Does it just arrive in the mail or will it be posted on the website? It has been 6 weeks already.

Has anyone received exam results yet? Does it just arrive in the mail or will it be posted on the website? It has been 6 weeks already.

Just as an FYI I believe it took 10-12 weeks last spring. For this reason I took the Foot portion in October and the Rearfoot in May.

Just as an FYI I believe it took 10-12 weeks last spring. For this reason I took the Foot portion in October and the Rearfoot in May.

Yeah, I think it was 12 weeks for me. Agonizing to wait that long. Plus it made it tough to apply for rear foot privileges at some hospitals

I guess I am too impatient. Results are posted