ABFM in training exam 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOJEDI

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not do so well on this exam...not worst either (slight below avg). My inferiority complex is starting to kick in. lol.

I'm an intern. What's the best way to improve this score? I certainly wanna do better next time.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you go through the last 2 or 3 ITEs?

What I wanna know is why the average scores for each pgy level are so much higher than last year...

Did you go through the last 2 or 3 ITEs?

What I wanna know is why the average scores for each pgy level are so much higher than last year...

I am a PGY1. It was my first time taking the test. That's what I heard from others too. It seems like the average score is higher than last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a PGY1. It was my first time taking the test. That's what I heard from others too. It seems like the average score is higher than last year.
But did you go through the 2016 and 2015 exams? They’re available online and very helpful.

My entire class did really well this year on the in training exam. Some used practice questions others didn’t. We all read the new guidelines as they come out. Things I have done that improved my score drastically compared to intern year was doing the SAM modules in the areas I was weakest. I listened to the American Family physician podcast and some of those topics were on the intraining exam. I also do all of the abfm app questions on my phone for the month prior to taking the exam. Practice questions and recognizing the patterns of some of the questions was very helpful for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, no need to worry. I am a FM PGY2 resident and was in probably a shakier boat than yourself when I started. My program made incoming interns take the previous year ITE prior to starting and then the ITE in october. My scores were an abysmal 200 (prior to starting) and a 320 (average was ~ 350) in PGY1. What I recommend is to literally just READ, don't try and memorize. READ READ and READ some more lol. It will work out for you I promise. All I did was take a little time out of each day (1-2 hours) and read AFP articles. I would read the current articles as well as picking a few articles on the illnesses I would see in the office setting (that helps really cement, reading about something after seeing it). The inpt dx I saw, I would read about them from Up2Date. Many times, I felt like I read the same AFP articles over and over again (constipation, shoulder pain, knee pain, URI, etc...). Did skip a month or two from AFP while studying for USMLE Step 3 during intern year though.

But I stress this, just READ, do not memorize. You will learn it better by just reading. This is a marathon not a cram session. Likely you will refer back to an article at a later date and read a portion of it and itll stick even more. But, stay current on the AFP issues and pick a few articles a day you have seen in the previous week from older AFP issues. Your inpt stuff read on Up2Date. You do this, you will do fine and will not need to ever cram.

Entering ITE --> 200
PGY1 ITE --> 320
PGY2 ITE --> 530 (my heart almost stopped when I saw this score) lol

Chris

Don't feel too bad, I didn't do so well my first year either. As far as the ITE goes, reviewing old ITEs and doing the board review questions from AAFP are probably the highest yield. They tend to reuse questions, so you may see them again on the ITE or board exam. I increased my score this year to about 100pts above the average.

I did terrible the first year. Really terrible. I'm poor test taker anyways. Improved my score by 200 points this year by reading the occasional ABFM articles and doing all the ITEs from the past 3 years. Also, a year of residency makes a big difference in knowledge base.

There's a huge range in ITE scores, especially first year (or so they tell us). I wouldn't worry too much. You've got more room to go up year to year, which seems to be more important than the actual score any given year (except maybe 3rd year).

USMLEWorld ABFM + old ITEs + AAFP board questions
PGY 1 - 500~
PGY 2 - 600~
PGY 3 - 700~
ABFM - 700~

Damn. But seriously though, any idea on why the averages are so much higher this year? It seems kinda crazy that the pgy-1 average is higher than the boards minimum passing score. (I get that boards and the ITE are not the same thing).

Damn. But seriously though, any idea on why the averages are so much higher this year? It seems kinda crazy that the pgy-1 average is higher than the boards minimum passing score. (I get that boards and the ITE are not the same thing).

Stronger entering applicants? FM is the new Derm!!! (just without the money... and lifestyle... and competition...)

I'm sure it just fluctuates year to year. Looking at the score report, you should keep in mind that the likely range of probable score is like +/- 30-something points, so an average of 418 still means on average that the interns would potentially barely pass.

Stronger entering applicants? FM is the new Derm!!! (just without the money... and lifestyle... and competition...)

I'm sure it just fluctuates year to year. Looking at the score report, you should keep in mind that the likely range of probable score is like +/- 30-something points, so an average of 418 still means on average that the interns would potentially barely pass.
Lol hey I’m all for that. Oh, and that’s a good point about the probable range.

Thank you all for your input. It was very helpful. Now I know what resources I can use for the next one. Before that, I guess I need to get this step 3 stuff outta the way.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, no need to worry. I am a FM PGY2 resident and was in probably a shakier boat than yourself when I started. My program made incoming interns take the previous year ITE prior to starting and then the ITE in october. My scores were an abysmal 200 (prior to starting) and a 320 (average was ~ 350) in PGY1. What I recommend is to literally just READ, don't try and memorize. READ READ and READ some more lol. It will work out for you I promise. All I did was take a little time out of each day (1-2 hours) and read AFP articles. I would read the current articles as well as picking a few articles on the illnesses I would see in the office setting (that helps really cement, reading about something after seeing it). The inpt dx I saw, I would read about them from Up2Date. Many times, I felt like I read the same AFP articles over and over again (constipation, shoulder pain, knee pain, URI, etc...). Did skip a month or two from AFP while studying for USMLE Step 3 during intern year though.

Yeah, the 2016 ITE exam was integrated into our 3-week(!!!) orientation period. Woo. We weren't given an actual score, but I think I was ~30-35% total correct after it was said and done. I went through and thoroughly reviewed half of the questions between June and October, going through both my incorrect and correct answer choices.

I also have pretty much the same approach when it comes to reading any articles. Helps to see a problem/dx in person and then read about it.

I also struggled hard with the outpatient EMR (still do lol and no we don't have Epic), so I would take some time beforehand to prep for clinic day (i.e. write out a list of labs/tests/imaging/vaccines to order on a piece of paper and/or ask where they had them done previously so I can have them sign a records release form before they leave the office) when I can for the new patient visits / complete physicals / wcc / well-woman, so that helps me review the USPSTF recommended guidelines and immunization schedules.

Then there's the AFBM app with practice q's that I'll do here and there.

Good luck!