Abilify Maintena. Thoughts? (other than $)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kugel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you hearing about Abilify Maintena? I was surprised to find no threads about this. I'm sure it's expensive, but I'm interested in experience - even second-hand.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

What are you hearing about Abilify Maintena? I was surprised to find no threads about this. I'm sure it's expensive, but I'm interested in experience - even second-hand.

"My Og, the drug-naming experts SUCK these days!"

(Well, you asked for thoughts...)

Any other "thoughts?"
Wait. Don't answer, OPD. That was much too broad a question.:eek:
Any insightful, useful, professional opinions about Maintena?
Wait. That was too narrow. :rolleyes:
As, Hell. It's Friday! Answer however you like (as if I ever had control over it). :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other "thoughts?"
Wait. Don't answer, OPD. That was much too broad a question.:eek:
Any insightful, useful, professional opinions about Maintena?
Wait. That was too narrow. :rolleyes:
As, Hell. It's Friday! Answer however you like (as if I ever had control over it). :D

It's probably better than a sharp poke in the butt with a stick?

It's probably better than a sharp poke in the butt with a stick?

How dare you malign the many stick-butt-pokers in the population! We have as much right to our beliefs, and freedom of expression of those beliefs, as anyone else. Just because we are not part of your cookie cutter Euro-Judeo-Christian majority does not mean it is acceptable to marginalize us as not even worthy of being poked....in the gluteus maximus....with a needle....
Oh, wait. I see what you did there.

I was promised a Maintena^TM pen if I told you all how great it is.

I feel like Abilify is one of easier antipsychotics to get people to stay on. I'm sure this is related to my own bias as I don't tend to use it in true schizophrenia. I use it more frequently with questionable bipolar patients, borderline patients per apa guidelines, or MDD with psychosis or without psychosis if desperate to try something else for augmentation. Obviously I know it can actually put some weight on depressed populations for whatever reason and has some significant akathisia, but generally these guys stay on the med and never have any problems/concerns with it. So for me I wouldn't have much use for maintena. As for why I don't tend to use it very frequently in schizophrenia... I'm honestly not sure.

they host yummy pharm dinners

I'm gonna' take your wonderful responses to mean the entire forum is summarily unimpressed with Maintena coming to market.
That's actually helpful (even if you didn't mean it to be). :p

I feel like Abilify is one of easier antipsychotics to get people to stay on. I'm sure this is related to my own bias as I don't tend to use it in true schizophrenia. I use it more frequently with questionable bipolar patients, borderline patients per apa guidelines, or MDD with psychosis or without psychosis if desperate to try something else for augmentation. Obviously I know it can actually put some weight on depressed populations for whatever reason and has some significant akathisia, but generally these guys stay on the med and never have any problems/concerns with it. So for me I wouldn't have much use for maintena. As for why I don't tend to use it very frequently in schizophrenia... I'm honestly not sure.

you don't use it very frequently because you don't consider it as effective for acute psychosis as other antipsychotics, and the reason you feel this way is because that's what others(probably your last few attendings) told you. And it's very possible that the reason they feel that way is because that's what a few people told them. And at some point it's different MOA(partial agonist) probably has something to do with these perceptions. As well as the way it is marketed.

The data on abilify is honestly fairly inconclusive with respect to schizophrenia and abilify simply because there isn't that much good data out there on it. So I have no idea if the perception out there wrt Abilify is right or not. I am pretty sure that when it comes to abilify(how it is given, what it is given for, etc) there isn't a heck of a whole lot of evidence based anything being practiced out there.

I am sitting in a maintena dinner as I am writing this lol

10% vs 40% placebo relapse

10% vs 40% placebo relapse

Is this drug company data? You'll have to pardon my skepticism of pharma data. It's like asking a soccer team to put their own referees on the field.

you don't use it very frequently because you don't consider it as effective for acute psychosis as other antipsychotics, and the reason you feel this way is because that's what others(probably your last few attendings) told you.

There are other reasons for this, namely in that on an inpatient psychiatric unit, you're constantly chasing your tail with Abilify because it has a 75-hour half-life. Two-weeks after you start a dose, you get a steadystate level. By that time, the patient is likely long gone from the inpatient unit.

I like Abilify on the outpatient side. I've had multiple patients who have gained large amounts of weight successfully transition from risperidone to Abilify or Zyprexa to Abilify, maintain their level of functioning, and lose a lot of weight.

One of my biggest "minor successes" began to clean his home, walk to the grocery store, occasionally walk in the park, and spend more time around his support group after losing 45 pounds on transitioning to Abilify, largely because his knees and back stopped hurting him. Yes, I push my patients to be physically active and get some sunshine, so that plays a role, as well.

The idea of monthly injectables is also appealing. I have many a patient where it's a hardship on the fmaily to take them to the clinic every two weeks. Once monthly injections would be welcome. You also will likely have fewer patients going off their meds and showing up in the hospital after doing such. Granted, PAC teams do far more than inject patients, but I guess if the budget gets slashed, monthly injectables at least ensure twice as many patients get injections as Consta on the same budget / number of workers.

Yes, we have Invega Sustena with all the weight gain and Zyprexa Relprevv with more weightgain and a risk for coma. I welcome the atypicals with ligher metabolic profiles.

Any specific questions? I am going to talk on it tonight and the guy giving it is a pretty big deal in psychosis research who I would be happy to ask any questions to.

Is this drug company data? You'll have to pardon my skepticism of pharma data. It's like asking a soccer team to put their own referees on the field.

The long-acting injectable have a different road to market than new oral drugs. They took a cohort of about 800 folks, 200 on abilify already and 600 on other antipsychotics. IF someone tolerated oral abilify well for several weeks (>month minimum), they were started on the depo. Then after 3-9 months of depo, 1/3 were randomized to placebo injections, and PANSS scores almost immediately separated.

The side-effects were barely an issue since someone already had to tolerate oral Abilify for so long, but we were cautioned that as a new injectable with limited data to definitely be careful about jumping to depo after only a short oral trial. Also, the study was done on people around age 40, so the expectation would be to have more issues with akathesia in younger folks.

The IM basically is only given at one dose (400mg) which is roughly equivalent to 21mg daily of oral. Abilify apparently has a very flat dose-response curve, so there was minimal interest in creating numerous doses. There is a 300mg vial for people who have side-effects on 400mg but it lacks data to support it. Obviously CYP interactions are still a problem, just like with oral.

Seemed like if someone was a good candidate for depo injections and one wanted the side-effect profile of abilify vs risperidone or paliperidone, then tolerated oral abilify it would be a potentially good choice for once month dosing. That's still going to be a pretty small sub-set of folks in anyone's given practice, but more atypical depo options seems like a good thing.

As far as non-drug company data is concerned, we need the people and money to do the studies. It's going to be awhile before any of the new antipsychotics have great data, but there are at least some cases where the side-effect profiles may be better and worth the price as 2nd, 3rd, or 4th line use.

Last edited:
Soooo....patients who did well on Abilify did well on Abilify Maintena. And if you took them off, some didn't do well.

Whose got the citations, so I can read the orig. publications without the 3D graphics and pie charts (those just make me hungry)?