ABLES boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malleolusman

keeping it real since 1981
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading about the board cert process and came across another board called the american board of lower extremity surgery.

is this basically the same thing as ABPS certification?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my not so humble opinion, this is a board that was created by a group of disgruntled doctors that for some reason were unable to sit for the ABPS exam or were unable to qualify for the ABPS exam or were unable to ever pass the ABPS exam.

They will dispute those statements until they are blue in the face, but the fact remains that the ABPS is the only recognized surgical board by the American Podiatric Medical Association, and is the only board that is legitimately and consistently involved with creating and training and maintaining sugical residency programs and maintaining the consistency along with the CPME, etc.

For those that were unable to sit for the ABPS exam due to residency requirements, there was always another APMA recognized board, the orthopedic/primary podiatric medicine board.

However, a group of doctors got together and created the board you've mentioned along with a lot of propaganda. I'm personally not aware of anyone that actually took their exam and failed, nor am I aware of their standards or anything they've contributed to our profession.

A piece of paper stating you are board certified is meaningless, if the standards are of little value. I can assure you that's not true of the ABPS. As a former ABPS examiner, I can tell you that although the test is difficult, it is certainly fair and NO ONE is "out to get you".

I am particularly angered by these boards because they only serve to further splinter our small profession, and add more confusion to "outsiders" when it comes to attempting to understand our profession. They often don't understand which boards are "real" and which ones are not recognized.

I can tell you that I have sat on several insurance panels, and still sit on some insurance panels, and I have been involved with several hospital credentialling committees, and the ONLY podiatric surgical board ever recognized is the ABPS.

...the fact remains that the ABPS is the only recognized surgical board by the American Podiatric Medical Association, and is the only board that is legitimately and consistently involved with creating and training and maintaining sugical residency programs and maintaining the consistency along with the CPME, etc.

For those that were unable to sit for the ABPS exam due to residency requirements, there was always another APMA recognized board, the orthopedic/primary podiatric medicine board...
:thumbup:

Study hard and just pass ABPS; it's pretty much the only one that matters unless you're trying to pull the wool over the eyes of a community hospital or insurance plan which desperately needs a pod and doesn't understand our boards. If you can't get ABPS based on residency - or want board cert right out of residency while you're ABPS qual and awaiting cert - get ABPOPPM since it's the other APMA recognized board.

Yes, the ABPS and ABPOPPM are the only specialty boards recognized by the CPME (APMA). But that doesn't mean that the ABPS is without it's problems and that another board (ABLES) shouldn't be allowed to prove itself to the community. In my opinion, the ABPS needs some competition because they take for granted that they are "the only surgical board". First, many people in the ABPS were "grandfathered" in, never having to take a real qualifying exam or oral. They may not have even completed a residency which would make the eligible to sit for the exam by the standards the are setting forward today. So they are making all sorts of rules, and only have to "re-certify" every 10 years by taking a self-assessment test, while younger, newly certified podiatrists have to take a real exam. This double standard set up by the "good old boys" does not give me confidence in an ABPS certified surgeon. The public (and insurance panels and hospital credentialing committees) should be asking, were you certified by the current process or were you grandfathered?

I passed the foot written and recently resigned from ABPS and ACFAS because of the ACFAS/APMA debacle and that ABPS started a new requirement (after I was qualified) that all BQ podiatrists must log all their surgical cases online in a proprietary system called Residency Resource whether or not you will use that case for board certification. It is a BS requirement that is not only an invasion of privacy, but a time consuming "big brother" process that I don't have time for as an attending. But they are a private organization and I have the power to choose to be a part of it, or not. I chose to resign and requested a refund since the "terms of being board qualified changed without my consent", which was granted to me.

All that being said, I completely support a single board for podiatry. Podiatry is a medical and surgical subspecialty. Why the necessity to stratify our profession even more? Some (ACFAS board) are embarrassed by the word "podiatry" and don't even use it on their main page of the website. (www.footphysicians.com) We don't need a better than you system of I'm certified in foot medicine, you're certified in foot surgery, but he is certified in rearfoot and reconstructive ankle surgery!! It is only a foot! Residencies are standardized. This stratification only confuses people and in some regard due to the inferiority complex of some foot and ankle surgeons (aka podiatrists who think they are orthopedic surgeons). Do what you do well, lead by example, show the medical community what a podiatrist is capable of, and we will improve the impression of our profession.

:thumbup:

Study hard and just pass ABPS; it's pretty much the only one that matters unless you're trying to pull the wool over the eyes of a community hospital or insurance plan which desperately needs a pod and doesn't understand our boards. If you can't get ABPS based on residency - or want board cert right out of residency while you're ABPS qual and awaiting cert - get ABPOPPM since it's the other APMA recognized board.

ABPOPPM used to be fairly easy to get by taking a written test. Now it seems as difficult as ABPS, you need to collect cases and prove that you were the primary attending for the patient for all of their care. SO although residency cases can count, they may not due to not enough follow-up or continuity of care.

diabeticfootdr,

I agree with a lot of your comments, and if you read many of my prior posts it will confirm that fact. As a former oral examiner for the ABPS exam, I have commented on the fact that there was the dichotomy of those that were grandfathered, those that take a self assessment exam and those that have to actually take a "real" recertification examination.

podfather, who is also involved with the ABPS did respond with valid comments regarding this process. As with all organizations, there will always be "grandfathering" for the original members, but as time moves on, that eventually simply disappears.

Although I understand your frustration, given your tremendous accomplishments, it's a shame that you didn't attempt to make changes within the ABPS rather than walk away. The organization needs young leaders of your integrity and caliber, and I'm just sorry that you walked away rather than stirring things up from within.

As far as the ABLES....creating another organization or "certifying" board is certainly not going to accomplish anything valid, other than to split the profession more and cause more confusion among the non podiatric community.