• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nibrocli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2003
Status (Visible)
Will I be able to learn the procedure if I do a peds residency?
What if my residency is at a catholic hospital? Will they help me get training elsewhere?

kellsmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
No. you will not do this as a pediatrician. OB/Gyn or Family practice are the only specialities to my knowledge that would do this procedure.

nibrocli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2003
Status (Visible)
That is what I thought, but it seems like there are other routes to learning the procedure. I read about a pediatrics resident who sounded like she just did it as part of her program, and an emergency medicine intern who was able to set up the training herself.

Just wondering if anyone had any insight into this.

About the Ads

ibeababydr

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Why do you want to go into pediatrics if you want to kill kids?

BiliousVomit

10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
Why would you ask about "abortion training" in the first place? I am shocked by your post, but would like to give you the benefit of doubt before I judge the ethics of your question.

Complications

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Yeah ... I agree. What the heck?!? At first I thought you were just a troll trying to get a response ... but are you serious?

Pox in a box

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
Status (Visible)
Doesn't abortion and pediatrics contradict? Pretty sick if you ask me.

emeddo

OMS
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2006
Grand Blanc, MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Its hard for me to see how a pediatric resident has this built into their program, first off it has nothing to do with peds, its an obgyn issue. Second off, you are a pediatrician who has spent decades on education to save babies lives, why would you want to kill them? I'm not debating whether abortion is right or wrong here, I'm just saying I don't think it belongs being associated with pediatrics at all. Who in their right mind would want to take their children to a physician who goes from treating their kids runny noses to performing an abortion in the next room right after?

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Will I be able to learn the procedure if I do a peds residency?
What if my residency is at a catholic hospital? Will they help me get training elsewhere?

I am unaware of any pediatric training program in which surgical abortions are taught. During rotations in adolescent medicine, you will gain experience in contraceptive counseling. I am doubtful that a Catholic hospital would assist you with obtaining training in abortion.

The ethics of abortion are commonly discussed in many settings including several within SDN. Feel free to carry out these types of debates in the Topics in Healthcare forum or the Sociopolitical forum.

As training in surgical abortions is not really a pediatric topic, I will ask that the thread be closed. Anyone with suggestions specific to the questions asked can PM the OP.

Please try to maintain the tone of the comments on the forum civil. No persons opinion on this or similar themes was ever changed by the insults already given here. Like it or not, abortion is a legal procedure in the US. Pediatricians, although not often asked to perform them, may be asked about therapeutic abortions in the case of congenital abnormalities or may be involved in counseling adolescents considering a pregnancy termination. Thus, being involved in discussions with patients about abortions is not outside the range of pediatrics at times.

About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.