ABOto Board Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otopico

Attending
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I embark on studying for the boards, just curious what you all have done to prepare. Any recommendations are highly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As I embark on studying for the boards, just curious what you all have done to prepare. Any recommendations are highly appreciated. Thanks!

I had KJ known backward and forward. Plus every page I had about 10 notes of extra stuff on--for example, KJ really has nothing on R's of rad onc so I had a page of notes on that in the very brief section on it. However, I felt overprepared doing all that--that's a good feeling to have since the written is ridiculously hard and the orals are surprisingly easy given the preparation.

I did not take the Osler course. However, I listened to the Osler course mp3s. The other fellow and I also split the cost of the Osler course slides. I think they came in PDF format.

For books, I used KJ Lee as well as Current Diagnosis in Otolaryngology.

For the orals, I read Tami's book (http://www.amazon.com/Otolaryngolog...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254879430&sr=8-1)

BTW, listening to the mock orals (Osler mp3s) revealed to me how little you have to know to pass and what knowledge other candidates had (made me sure of where I was in the game).

Having said that, the orals were no challenge at all. After the first few questions, you start to relax and really get into a groove. The written is fairly tough. I'd say 75% I knew immediately. 15% I narrowed down to 2 answers. 10% I had no f-ing clue.

I think having done a fellowship hurt more than helped. Just my thoughts.