About accepting an offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audi2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just had a general question that I was not sure about so I thought I would ask. If you accept an offer from one university but later get another one - can you cancel the first one? Suppose you get your second offer from the university you reaally wanted to attend..can you still accept? I know on CSDCAS they cancel your offers right after you accept. What about other places?

Members don't see this ad.

It's not recommended to accept an offer then cancel it to accept a different offer. There are always extenuating circumstances so if that happens it would probably be a good idea to explain it to the school you end up ditching. Audiology is a small field. You may end up applying for internships, residency, or even a job at the school you cancel on, and they may remember you.

Most schools give you until April 15 (is that right?) to make a decision. That way you can wait to compare all your offers and make the best decision. I had a school ask me for a decision within 2 weeks of receiving the offer, and it was in February. I asked them for an extension and they granted me 2 extra weeks. I ended up turning them down because I hadn't gotten all my offers in yet, and I wasn't willing to put myself at a disadvantage.

Oh so they grant you extensions? That is great then! I totally understand about ditching a school. It would not be a good idea. I was just wondering how you usually go about accepting offers since some schools on rolling admissions may offer you admission even before December. One of my friends applying already got an interview so I was thinking it would suck to make a decision so soon if that school is not your first choice. Thanks!

Yes you can ask for extra time to decide if you need to. Keep in mind that if you get an offer from a school, they want you to go there. Especially with the economy nose diving, universities are strapped for cash. The more students enroll in their program, the more money they get. Even if they are providing you with funding, they are still bringing in revenue for their university (books, housing, meal plans, etc...). Even schools that are highly competitive still need to meet quotas for their university. They may make a lot of offers, but if they don't provide funding, what percentage of those students will decide to go there? There are a number of factors, but don't sell yourself short. Universities are competing for you to enroll just like you are competing with other students for admission.