About all the recent SDN goings-on, my perspective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blotto geltaco

Old-timer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I know this is in technically the wrong forum, but hopefully this will be seen the most here ? so here goes.........

I guess I will enter into the fray and give my two cents worth. For anyone who cares, I am one of the posters who has continually been at odds with one Klebsiella on a number of threads. It started with something about lawyers, then on to mortgage hunting, then God knows where.

But I digress first. I usually lurk around here and don?t post much ? usually just when something catches my eye or I have knowledge of a subject. Certainly no ?post-padding?, lol. Flare-ups like this are a normal part of SDN, especially since it is not the sleepy little web site that it used to be. When SDN was just getting off the ground, there was a BIG (at the time) flap over having ?unregistered? users. There have been others, too. When ?Adrianshoe? burst upon the scene with ferocity and said a lot of unpopular but mostly true things about osteopathic education (I think, it has been awhile). Then there was the flap over Stephen Ewen and his religious views and his job as a moderator. Of course there was the debate over logging IP addresses, and the laughable day when they were briefly exposed and a number of ?double identities? came out. And how could we forget Tim Wu?s short lived moderator controversy. Actually, I have (sorry Tim) but at the time it was a big deal then. Heck I remember on the old misc.education.medical (mem for short) when Tim got into medical school and put ?Yippee!? in his signature line. And yes, I remember all his ?derogatory? comments towards Gonzaga, which were all pretty funny. What does all this mean? Nothing really, just wanted to see if anyone else remembered any of this.

I think that the owners and moderators of this site do a fantastic job. This is an awesome web site that is one of the best on the internet (and no pop-up ads!). It provides very valuable information for people at all stages of their medical education. Heck, when I first applied to medical school, the internet didn?t even exist! (as we know it today). Of course there is always the Princeton review site (?TPR?). Anyone who visited the old site knows what a festering bunch of turds that was. ?Nuff said about that garbage-dump. The moderators are very careful about the job that they undertake. Time was when the moderators didn?t seem to do much at all that anyone knew of . The only ones I remember participating were OldManDave and Gregory Gullick (of the famed Gregory?s links). Heck, I began to wonder if Diane Ev and Derek really existed!

I did have to laugh at Rdennisjr?s statement that ?Personal attacks are not permitted and will not be allowed on this board?. The poster known as Klebsiella has been attacking any and everyone since he joined this board. I don?t fine the statement ?Please play nice with the other children? offensive at all, as did one poster ? who stated ?I would pay good $$$ to see this guy's pic posted next to mine... undoubtedly he's some anorexic cyber-geek turned badass behind the safety of his comp. Yeah whatever, go ahead and delete this too now tough guy...? Umm, this is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over the edge. Get a grip is all that I have to say.

I myself have been guilty of letting a few curse words fly every now and then. No big deal, so has Lee J.

The moderators have every right to kick whoever they deem fit off this site. They are as a rule very conservative about this action. To the poster who said ?very disillusioned with this website...moving to <a href="http://www.residentweb.com?" target="_blank">www.residentweb.com?</a> and ?SDN is a truly pathetic replacement? (sic) as well as ?Maybe I'll hang out more on resident web...maybe its a lil more grown up and does not have a big momma telling you what to do all the time...way too many non physicians on this site anyway!!? ? I have one thing to say. Bye. Making suggestions like improving server speed are ridiculous. Lee and others put a TON of work (and some $$$$) into this site. You have no reason to bitch about anything.

About the davidgreen thing. I do think that he fell for the classic bait. He bit. And he bit hard. Although many times it is wise to leave well enough alone, we all know it doesn?t always happen this way. He dropped the ?F-word? an a moment of passion and fury. Actually there was a * in there. Could have been accidental. I myself say the ?F-word? many times a day. High incidence of this word while studying for Step I. I think the whole Hitler thing was a little overblown. Of course it was done in bad taste (um, very bad taste) but I also think that no one should take it too seriously. Seinfeld didn?t really think the soup guy was truly a Nazi, did he?

As far as professionalism goes ? there are many, many posts in this board that are of an ?unprofessional? nature. Is this bad? Not really. ?The Lounge? is full of unprofessional posts, but by and large it done in good faith and nothing there should be taken too seriously. I can?t say for sure, cause I don?t really go there. All the junk that is posted there doesn?t mean that the posters are unprofessional. What bothers me is when posters act unprofessionally, hurling insults, etc. without provocation. It absolutely ruins worthwhile discussions that people are trying to have with one another. There?s nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned flamewar (?bring out the Nomex?), but it does get old very quickly when it is continually from the same person without apparent reason.

Which brings me to the subject of Klebsiella. There have been irritating posters before, anyone remember popoman? But K takes the cake. Hopefully everyone else can see straight through his shenanigans. I know a few people can, as they have posted here or sent me a private message. Klebsiella feels it is his mission in life to ruin perfectly good threads by attacking others for no apparent reason. Unless he types it himself, it is up for attack. Any attempt at civilized discourse brings further ridicule, by someone who apparently has a lot of time on his hands to spend on this board. He claims to have ?intimate knowledge? of many subjects, but rarely, if ever backs any claims up. He does not provide any solid proof of any of his theories and opinions. When confronted, and shown to be COMPLETELY wrong, ie Voxel re rads and anesthesia, he falls trangley silent or conversely, may pitch (not throw) a fit. In that thread he stated that ?I'm afraid your information is terribly wrong? and ?You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. That's a real accomplishment?. I could go on and on, but it isn?t worth my effort. I have typed enough already! Suffice it to say that Klebsiella ruins threads and is incapable of carrying on intelligent discourse in this community.

I am not gonna bitch and moan or pack up my toys and move to another web site. I?ll probably just go back to lurker mode (where I am most of the time anyway). Although I have in the past tried to post informative information, it just isn?t worth my while to get drawn into these nonsensical flame wars.

blotto geltaco :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Nice post- definately worthy of a reply! I agree with what you said about the lounge. The Lounge is really like "The Bleachers" of SDN and it allows for a lot of freedoms to speak on subjects outside of medicine. However, perhaps it is such freedoms that, if not contained, open the other forum sections up to such bickering. Almost like the US's war on terrorism, we're an open community and there will always be those who use this resource to infiltrate SDN with juvenile actions.

---

From the looks of your post, this Klebsiella seems to be a mastermind that can manipulate anyone he/she wants off of SDN. Must be a pretty smart guy, but putting it to ignoble causes! Such a guy should be manipulating Cancer off the face of the Earth!
I agree with the moderator Turtleboard who said that nothing that someone could say should warran such a retort. After all, people must keep their composure. What will you do if a patient said the same things? I will be starting medical school next year, but I have already heard that in such cases, that there is that great method that should always be invoked: just bite your lip, let 'em speak, wait till they're done, give 'em a look like: "Are you done yet? You're acting like a kid", and move on... There's no such thing as 'fighting fire with fire' in the medical field... Taking the point of least resistance is, by far, the most resistant after all.

thing about Klebsiella is, if he does attack someone, he does it with wit and intelligence, he doesn't just shout someone down. I think he deserves better than to be grouped with some of the louts out there.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:••• thing about Klebsiella is, if he does attack someone, he does it with wit and intelligence, he doesn't just shout someone down. I think he deserves better than to be grouped with some of the louts out there. ••••That does not make it okay. So you are saying that it is okay to attack someone as long as you have "style" and "wit". Everyone should be held to the standards; why should that not apply to Klebsiella? We can all make arguements that don't involve personal attacks; nobody should be dismissed from these standards because they have an extensive vocabulary.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by The Pill Counter:
•thing about Klebsiella is, if he does attack someone, he does it with wit and intelligence, he doesn't just shout someone down. I think he deserves better than to be grouped with some of the louts out there.•••••are you for real?! wit and intelligence? :rolleyes: by whose standards?