All High Passes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say that getting high passes or honors in the majority of your rotations is what you should aim for. I think overall, your clinical grades matter a lot less than other parts of your application such as your USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores, M1/M2 grades (assuming they aren't pass/fail), and your letters of recommendations. As long as you don't have any red flags or received concerning evaluations during your clerkships then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I would aim to honor the specialty that you are planning to apply to but that won't make or break you either.

Good luck!

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
I would say that getting high passes or honors in the majority of your rotations is what you should aim for. I think overall, your clinical grades matter a lot less than other parts of your application such as your USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores, M1/M2 grades (assuming they aren't pass/fail), and your letters of recommendations. As long as you don't have any red flags or received concerning evaluations during your clerkships then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I would aim to honor the specialty that you are planning to apply to but that won't make or break you either.

Good luck!

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors
Im sorry but since when do M1/M2 grades matter more than clerkship grades? I have always heard clerkship grades matter way more from many different reputable sources including my own school. Its pretty widely known that preclinical grades intrinsically mean absolutely nothing other than the fact that they have decent value in predicting success on boards. Can you tell me where you heard this?

Reactions: 6 users
Im sorry but since when do M1/M2 grades matter more than clerkship grades? I have always heard clerkship grades matter way more from many different reputable sources including my own school. Its pretty widely known that preclinical grades intrinsically mean absolutely nothing other than the fact that they have decent value in predicting success on boards. Can you tell me where you heard this?

Yeah, M1/M2 grades mattering is demonstrably wrong. Now if we're talking about their role in AOA nomination, that's a different discussion.

Reactions: 2 users