• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
Sep 29, 2018
Hi all! I am endlessly confused about the pass/fail system in clerkships and I was hoping to get some more insight. Obviously getting honors in a rotation is great, but could getting consistent HPs be a good thing too? So far, I have 4 HPs and 1 honors (in a rotation where everyone gets honors). I feel like I'm honestly not going to get any honors and I want to know if aiming for HP is a reasonable/safe goal. Like, is getting all HPs seen the same way as being a B-average student? So sorry if this is a dumb question, I truly haven't found a good answer anywhere!!

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Gold Donor
Vendor
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field], Attending Physician
I would say that getting high passes or honors in the majority of your rotations is what you should aim for. I think overall, your clinical grades matter a lot less than other parts of your application such as your USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores, M1/M2 grades (assuming they aren't pass/fail), and your letters of recommendations. As long as you don't have any red flags or received concerning evaluations during your clerkships then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I would aim to honor the specialty that you are planning to apply to but that won't make or break you either.

Good luck!

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

Deecee2DO

Medical Student
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2015
New Jersey
Status
Medical Student
I would say that getting high passes or honors in the majority of your rotations is what you should aim for. I think overall, your clinical grades matter a lot less than other parts of your application such as your USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores, M1/M2 grades (assuming they aren't pass/fail), and your letters of recommendations. As long as you don't have any red flags or received concerning evaluations during your clerkships then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I would aim to honor the specialty that you are planning to apply to but that won't make or break you either.

Good luck!

- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors
Im sorry but since when do M1/M2 grades matter more than clerkship grades? I have always heard clerkship grades matter way more from many different reputable sources including my own school. Its pretty widely known that preclinical grades intrinsically mean absolutely nothing other than the fact that they have decent value in predicting success on boards. Can you tell me where you heard this?

slowthai

holding a barbell.
7+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2013
In my gaff
Im sorry but since when do M1/M2 grades matter more than clerkship grades? I have always heard clerkship grades matter way more from many different reputable sources including my own school. Its pretty widely known that preclinical grades intrinsically mean absolutely nothing other than the fact that they have decent value in predicting success on boards. Can you tell me where you heard this?
Yeah, M1/M2 grades mattering is demonstrably wrong. Now if we're talking about their role in AOA nomination, that's a different discussion.

About the Ads