About Applying to Med School...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peach Love

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new, so I hope I'm not posting in the wrong place.
So my issue is, I will be done with my Orgo 1 in mid June.

Am I required to wait until after Orgo 2 to apply to med school?
Will this pose a major disadvantage?
How about Mcat scores? can i submit my mcat score later on?

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: I just realized I put this under Mcat section, boo. Can a moderator move this please?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I'm new, so I hope I'm not posting in the wrong place.
So my issue is, I will be done with my Orgo 1 in mid June.

Am I required to wait until after Orgo 2 to apply to med school?
Will this pose a major disadvantage?
How about Mcat scores? can i submit my mcat score later on?

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: I just realized I put this under Mcat section, boo. Can a moderator move this please?

you aren't required to wait until after orgo 2 to apply. you can even be accepted w/o having it completed (if youve taken your MCAT) as long as you get it done before med school starts. the only disadvantage this will pose is taking the MCAT with out having copmeted ochem, but it has been done before.

you have to submit an MCAT score in order to be considered for acceptance, that is with out exception. you won't be "complete" until that score is in. the pre reqs are the only things that aren't on a strict timeline, altho even then you will need a large majority completed (they wont care about 1 or 2....for example i am applying this summer w/o having taken zoology, which i am taking in the fall). good luck.

Sure :thumbup:

Moved per request. Good luck!

For the medical school prerequisites you are typically just required to finish them by the time you matriculate-- some have a deadline before that though, so you should check. However, you probably should take the second-semester Organic Chemistry course so you'll be more familiar with the material tested on the MCAT.

You can submit your AMCAS application without an MCAT score, but I don't see the point in it personally. Your MCAT score dictates quite a bit where you apply and not knowing it may make it difficult. Some people like submitting to only one school without an MCAT score so their application gets processed and verified (a process that can take weeks sometimes) so when they get their score they can just add more schools quickly and not have to be processed again.