How does a W affect my chances when applying to a competitive med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cookie3315

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in my second semester of college, and I am struggling badly with an ecology class---estimate a C in the course. I am confident that I can do well if I withdraw and retake it later, but is it worth the W on my transcript? I got a 4.0 last semester and am doing okay in the rest of my courses. My dream med schools are NYU or Albert Einstein. Since I am only a freshman, I reasoned that if I do really well for the rest of my undergrad years, it would be alright because it shows improvement, but I wanted to gain some other perspectives. Thank you for any insights 🙂
 
I am in my second semester of college, and I am struggling badly with an ecology class---estimate a C in the course. I am confident that I can do well if I withdraw and retake it later, but is it worth the W on my transcript? I got a 4.0 last semester and am doing okay in the rest of my courses. My dream med schools are NYU or Albert Einstein. Since I am only a freshman, I reasoned that if I do really well for the rest of my undergrad years, it would be alright because it shows improvement, but I wanted to gain some other perspectives. Thank you for any insights 🙂
Given that it's not a pre-req, I think a W is okay.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in my second semester of college, and I am struggling badly with an ecology class---estimate a C in the course. I am confident that I can do well if I withdraw and retake it later, but is it worth the W on my transcript? I got a 4.0 last semester and am doing okay in the rest of my courses. My dream med schools are NYU or Albert Einstein. Since I am only a freshman, I reasoned that if I do really well for the rest of my undergrad years, it would be alright because it shows improvement, but I wanted to gain some other perspectives. Thank you for any insights 🙂
It's a common pre-med delusion that a W is the same as an F.

Yours is a nothingburger.

BTW, you can get into med school even with Fs on your transcripts.